Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 167 Times in 98 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Springtime Hope Blooms In The Bullpen

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I believe Burton, Maloney, and Waldrop should make the bullpen. Hopefully, they send Alex Burnett packing and soon. A spot could also be filled by Carlos Gutierrez who could be a stud. My fear is they give it to Terry Doyle because he is a Rule 5 draft pick. Doyle is not very good and should be given back to Chicago.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ditto on Burnett. Doyle might be a little more intriguing if he had a cool nickname, like Pop-Up Doyle. Not sure if I made the right "connection" there. I'm already cringing as to what prospect they give up to keep in a AAA.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice article. I like this optimism. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of waiting for the season! There are so many question about the 2012 Twins, I want a few to start getting answered.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I agree with dave_dw, it is time to get this season going! I certainly hope Jack isn't suggesting that the Twins waive Burnett. The kid has a ton of talent and needs a year at Rochester. I expect he is pitching his way to upstate New York this spring.

With Capps, Perkins, Duensing and Swarzak locks for the pen, it should be fun seeing who gets the last three spots. It looks to me as a battle between Manship, Waldrop, Maloney and Burton. Both Manship and Waldrop have options remaining which may play into the decision, although Ryan has said it doesn't.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Ramos Wilson"?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Manship's calling card has always been a big curveball, and I'm guessing it's the same pitch as Seth's "spiked slider". Manship (and that pitch in particular) was actually very highly regarded when he was in high school and if not for his iron-clad commitment to play ball for Notre Dame, would have been a very high draft pick after his senior year. He's one guy who definitely hurt his stock by going to college where he ended up having Tommy John surgery.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Nice article. I've been feeling the same way that there have been a good number of promising relief performances this spring. I think it shows that while dominating relievers aren't easy to come by, serviceable ones are a dime a dozen. A lot of fans had been clamoring for the Twins to sign one of the free agent relievers; while it would have been nice to have a little more depth at the top of the bullpen, I'm not convinced that any of them would have significantly better than these replacement level options. They maybe would have been worth 2 wins through bullpen, but I don't think 2 wins does it for the Twins this year.

I agree with previous commenters on Burnett. I've seen enough, it's time for someone else to take his spot. I'm not very bullish on Gutierrez turning into a stud. He's had 4 years in the minors to develop some command, and has shown no signs that he's going to do it. Averaging a walk every other inning isn't going to cut it (especially with the Twins). When his strikeouts drop off a bit and homeruns tick up a bit against mlb hitters, he's not going to look good.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I talked to Manship the other day and asked him about the slider. He changed his grip on the pitch and has found it to be much more sharp and it's been good so far. He's excited about that pitch.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seth,

Your banter about Alex Burnett being talented has really grown old. I could careless the guy is 24 years old and did not spend much time in Rochester, he clearly can't make the adjustments at the M.L. level. Your not Gardy, so please stop protecting this guy. He has been given more chances than Waldrop, Slama, Delaney, and many others ever will. Here is all you need to know.

2010. He had a 5.29 ERA in 47.2 IP. (7.0 K/9 ratio).

2011. He had a 5.51 ERA in 50.2 IP. (5.9 K/9 ratio).

2012. He has a 16.87 ERA in 2.2 IP. (By guys who will be unemployed in two weeks).

The guy has not improved at all, in fact he has got much worse. I would straight up release him and give his 40-man roster spot to someone who deserves it. I thought you were all about giving opportunities to guys who deserve it. This guy had his chance and his 15 minutes of fame are up.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-15-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    One good season in the minors in the bullpen at FM and NB.

And that's it.

For an organization that is slow to promote guys, Burnett at AAA first would have made more sense.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Ed,

Alex Burnett is the Twins new Nick Punto. I believe he must have something on these guys because nothing else makes sense. Why are they so enamored with this guy.

Nice article, John. I agree with your assessments. It's always nice to see some positivity, especially in regards to the 'pen.

If I remember correctly, Burnett still has options left. Why not start him in Rochester and give some of the new acquisitions a shot? Sometimes shaking things up a bit works wonders. Look at the Rays last year, they had an almost all new bullpen and they ended up in great shape.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just want to clarify: I don't advocate waiving Burnett, just giving him some AAA time. He was the best of a lot of lousy options last year, but is being outperformed so far.

I know its SSS but if spring training ended today there would be some guys with great numbers who didn't make the team. I looked yesterday and Maloney was 11th (Liriano 2nd) in spring training SO's.

As for Doyle, I wonder if the Twins didn't tell him, "Hey, if you like it here, go out there and get shelled, we'll offer you back to the White Sox for the $25 grand, they'll decline, and you'll be set."

Will Maloney or Swarzak be moved to the rotation if Baker can't pitch?