Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who is going to bat leadoff for the twins?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

who is going to bat leadoff for the twins?

I know it seems preposterous, but at this point, which I would be in big favor of, but know would never happen, but my vote would be Mauer.

Mauer
    Hicks
    Willingham
    Morneau
    Parmalee
    Doumit
    Plouffe
    Florimon
    Carroll

. If your chances of scoring a run w/ no outs and someone on first is.5, I think I like Mayer here more than anyone on the roster right now. It would b fun to see a manager go outside the safe zone once

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder why you would do that with Hicks in lineup? Hicks is a better option for that role with his speed. Mauer batting second is a full-fledged monumental achievement for this manager.

If Hicks is on the roster, he will be the leadoff hitter and Mauer SHOULD OBVIOUSLY bat second.

Absent Hicks and any other signing, I think Jamey Carroll bats first and Mauer second.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like your idea to bat Mauer leadoff. Now before everyone blows this idea off, think about it...What do you want in an ideal leadoff? Mauer has everything except speed. It is an unconventional place to bat a guy with his size but he doesn't hit like a 6' 5" 240 pound monster, He hits like a 5' 10" 180 pound guy at the most. Another couple reasons to bat Mauer leadoff. He will lead the league in on base percentage almost every year, no matter where he bats. He will get about 100 more at bats in a year than batting 3rd. He will have one at bat per game that he can't kill a rally by hitting into a double play. The Twins need to realize that Joe is not a three hole hitter. He has never had 100 RBIs and he hits third??? The #2 hole like Rod Carew is where his natural spot is but with all his double plays, it might make sense for him to bat leadoff. The only thing he lacks from being a perfect leadoff hitter is blazing speed, otherwise he is perfect.
    Last edited by RodneyKline; 12-29-2012 at 01:11 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Top Gun that's the most sense you've made all off season. I hope for Hicks but think Maestro is more likely in this case. No need for Hicks. I'd like it if he was though.

i'd say hicks #1 Mauer #2

I agree Mauer should hit 2nd. As a #3 he has never knocked in 100 runs. Even in his MVP year with 28 HR's he didn't knock in 100. He should bat 2nd. If Maestro has to start the season in CF, you hit him leadoff until Hicks is up. Plus, hitting Mauer #2 moves Plouffe's power up to 7th in the order.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    what do you want from a leadoff batter?
    high obp?
    take lots of pitches?
    and the ability to steal?
    ok Joe has 2 of 3 ,and isint slow of foot...
    when you get some one who has 3 of 3 then you move Mauer back ...

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The idea of batting Mauer leadoff reminds me of the idea of batting Wade Boggs leadoff for some reason and that worked considerable well for his club.

Back to the original question: too early to tell. Let's figure out who are the 25 who are going North first, see how they did in ST (eg. how many walks did Hicks take from MLB-pitchers) and then we can talk more...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Mauer bats leadoff. #2 hitter can't be a ground-ball double-play batter. Also, can't be a flyout guy. Wait, that means Mauer can't bat leadoff. You have to have someone who can beak up a doubleplay (and not risk injury).

As lead-off, Mauer will look at pitches, but he also swings and connects (shades of Ben Revere) but more for line-drives that at least get out of the infield.

Mauer is the perfect #3 hitter as your laadoff guy should be at second by the time he comes to bat.

Mastro/Hicks leadoff. Carroll will bat second. To start the season. Benson is the dark horse candidate.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is an unwritten rule with Gardy, play CF bat leadoff.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With Gardy CF almost always hits leadoff and a MI almost always hits 2nd. I would prefer Mauer in the 2hole but it isn't happening.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    People new to stop saying Mauer shouldn't hit 3rd because he doesn't have many RBIs. He drove in 18.1% of runners on base when he batted. Higher than Willingham and 8th in the league (according to gleeman).

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    So the reason Mauer did not get many RBI is that The guys in front of him did not get on base.....leading one to conclude you should put high OBP people at the top of the lineup.....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Wait....this post is relevant to the topic........I'm confused.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    So the reason Mauer did not get many RBI is that The guys in front of him did not get on base.....leading one to conclude you should put high OBP people at the top of the lineup.....
    You should put high OBP guys everywhere in the lineup.

Mauer and Hicks

If you look at Hicks' OBP in AA, it was .384, pretty good, but not as good as Mauer's. If Hicks does well at spring training, he should probably be leadoff hitter. If not, put Mauer there. In addition to just more at-bats, since Mauer looks at a lot of pitches it would give the batters behind him more of a chance to see pitches too.

Blog Entries
    It really isn't going to matter in terms of OBP who bats first or second. Things being relatively equal with respect to OBP (within 40 points or so, sorry Mastro), I would put the faster guy 1st.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 80 Times in 47 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    People new to stop saying Mauer shouldn't hit 3rd because he doesn't have many RBIs. He drove in 18.1% of runners on base when he batted. Higher than Willingham and 8th in the league (according to gleeman).
    There are many theories about the most effective way to construct a line-up. Some actually believe that you should put your best hitter in the leadoff spot regardless of speed, power, ect. The thought is moving them up in the order allows for more opportunities for your best hitter. Obviously no team in the league goes that drastic with it, but the idea of moving up your best hitters is valid. I'm fine with putting a guy like Span at leadoff, and even Hicks if he can post a respectable OBP. Since the Twins don't currently have a very good option for hitting second (actually Mauer is exactly what a 2 hitter should be...), moving Mauer up only makes sense. Put Willingham 3rd followed by Morneau and Plouffe.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    There are many theories about the most effective way to construct a line-up. Some actually believe that you should put your best hitter in the leadoff spot regardless of speed, power, ect. The thought is moving them up in the order allows for more opportunities for your best hitter. Obviously no team in the league goes that drastic with it, but the idea of moving up your best hitters is valid. I'm fine with putting a guy like Span at leadoff, and even Hicks if he can post a respectable OBP. Since the Twins don't currently have a very good option for hitting second (actually Mauer is exactly what a 2 hitter should be...), moving Mauer up only makes sense. Put Willingham 3rd followed by Morneau and Plouffe.
    Good post. Another thing to consider is the fact that in the first inning the number 3 hitter often comes up with no one on and 2 out. What is the most likely way to score a run in such a situation? A home run. Generally speaking, the best overall hitters should be 1,2, and 4 in the lineup, with the biggest power threat going in the 4 spot and your next biggest power threat batting 3rd. The 4th spot should also be a guy with on base skills (always cracked/cracks me up to see someone like Alfonso Soriano almost always batting 1st or 4th!) since he often comes up to lead the second inning off. For the Twins, Willingham and Morneau seem pretty interchangeable at the 3 and 4, especially if Morneau's average stays under .290, so if flipping sides is important, batting Josh after Joe makes sense. Doumit makes the most sense to bat 5th, unless (hopefully) Parmelee takes off this year.

So:

Carroll (not sure who is a better option unless Hicks is on the roster--there was a 15 point OBP difference between Carroll and Mastro last year)
    Mauer
    Willingham
    Morneau
    Doumit
    Plouffe
    Parmelee
    Florimon/Dozier
    Mastroianni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast