Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Ryan bury his head in the sand again?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts

Will Ryan bury his head in the sand again?

Will Terry pretend that Cuban players cant help the Twins or will we have someone in Mexocali Mexico on january 5th ,to watch the 2 kids from Cuba work out? Alvarez is a 24 year old outfielder and Diaz is a 22 year old shortstop.
    With Minnesota thin in both areas this year ,will we send someone down to watch and see if they are mlb players or have tools that could lead to a big leaque career? Or once again will Mr. Ryan bury his head in the sand like he did on Cespedes last year?

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They had scouts watching Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman. With he new rules for International signings, of course they will. If only to get something in their reports on him for down the road.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    They had scouts watching Cespedes and Aroldis Chapman. With he new rules for International signings, of course they will. If only to get something in their reports on him for down the road.
    I read an article last year about the teams that sent people to the Dominican Republic for the workout last year and questioned why no one from the twins went down, or at least why in the article that the twins representitives were not noted in attendance...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Does anyone know how much the Twins have left to sign any international players? That should be the first thing johnnydakota found out before he made this thread.

I'm not sure how much they do have but I am sure somebody like Seth would be able to answer this without much effort.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I read an article last year about the teams that sent people to the Dominican Republic for the workout last year and questioned why no one from the twins went down, or at least why in the article that the twins representitives were not noted in attendance...
    In regards to Cespedes, LEN once wrote at the strib the Twins had scouts watch him. LEN has been fairly credible. The Athletics offer blew all others out of the water. With it only being 4 years it sets him up for one big contract after two healthy increases at arbitration. He had a smart agent.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 106 Times in 64 Posts
    Will Terry Ryan leave the Guatemalan hacky sack league untapped? There's some guys who have arms and legs and can do athletic things with them. Likely TR will come up short again, and be satisfied with overhauling minor league pitching depth by acquiring two high velocity, high ceiling prospects, as if the Twins chances of success is somehow better in the future than it is now.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 12-30-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Does anyone know how much the Twins have left to sign any international players? That should be the first thing johnnydakota found out before he made this thread.

I'm not sure how much they do have but I am sure somebody like Seth would be able to answer this without much effort.
    they will be free agents not international players ....
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 12-30-2012 at 11:40 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    @darin

As I understand it, each team has 2.9M in bonus money to allocate as they please to international signings. After July 2013, the amount adjusts based on winning percentage. My guess is this would give the Twins more room to sign players. I'm not sure what the rules are, or if there are any, for salary totals outside the bonus rule. Here's a link explaining the bonus rule:

International Signing Bonus Pool | The Cub Reporter (TCR) | A Chicago Cubs Blog

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Will Terry Ryan leave the Guatemalan hacky sack league untapped? There's some guys who have arms and legs and can do atheletic things with them. Likely TR will come up short again, and be satisfied with upgrading minor league pitching depth, as if the Twins chances of success is somehow better in the future than now. Ha.
    Sano, Arcia, Kepler, Liam Hendricks, Salcedo, Polanco. Yep, the Twins have done poorly in international signings.

Banned All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Sano, Arcia, Kepler, Liam Hendricks, Salcedo, Polanco. Yep, the Twins have done poorly in international signings.
    wernt they Bill Smith signings?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    they will be free agents not international players ....
    Without experience in an international major league they will be considered international players. Last July 2 the rules changed. None of these players were eligible before then.

Banned All-Star
    Without experience in an international major league they will be considered international players. Last July 2 the rules changed. None of these players were eligible before then.
    I believe before january 5th workout they are expected to be declared free agents by the commisioneers office

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Diaz and Alvarez will be free agents since both are 23 (Diaz's birthday is January 8th and he will be able to sign after) and both have 3 years of professional experience in Cuba. This was because of the previous agreement in early May (I believe).

"For the next two years, Cubans will be exempt as long as they are 23 and have played in a Cuban professional league for at least three seasons. Beginning in 2014-15 Cubans must have five years of pro experience to be exempt." -Ben Badler, BA

"Exempt" from the International Signing status that is. The five year pro experience mandate is already required for Japanese players.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That being the case, the Twins have no excuse not to be giving these guys a serious look. With the payroll having dropped, they should be able to make a competetive offer.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Neither will be subjected to bonus pool and will be looking for Puig/Soler type money from what I've read. The Twins will be there but I don't anticipate them being very aggressive in pursuit of either, unfortunately.

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also the Twins have a few hundred thousand dollars left in their international spending pool.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Neither will be subjected to bonus pool and will be looking for Puig/Soler type money from what I've read. The Twins will be there but I don't anticipate them being very aggressive in pursuit of either, unfortunately.
    This is the one arena where Smith really succeeded and I will be disappointed if Ryan goes back to his cheapskate ways in the international market. The Twins should be there and they should be aggressive. I'm not saying they need to sign either of them because I've never seen them play but the Twins should be strongly considering throwing money at one of these guys.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 66 Posts
    Let's hope they send Tony O down with the scouts. He is still a hero in Cuba and could be a big help signing either of these guys. If the SS can play at all they should go hard after him.
    Be interesting to see if TR will go cheap after Smith actually spent money for these Int. guys. It's one thing Smith did a good job on.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I think it would be great if the Twins signed good free agents, If these guys are good.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    So that mean the Dodgers are the front runners to sign them both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast