Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 256

Thread: Torrii Hunter: Homophobe

  1. #21
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Posts
    591
    Like
    11
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuba View Post
    I hate to break this to you but this is how most professional athletes feel.
    Did you actually read the article. Thats the whole point. In a society where homosexuals are becoming more accepted, professional sports is one area where gays are hardly welcome.

  2. #22
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    4,089
    Like
    1,822
    Liked 1,297 Times in 523 Posts
    I'm not sure what's worse, Hunter being a douchebag homophobe, or the people defending him.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Yes this is a fairly common attitude in professional sports and Hunter is certainly not alone. I have a hard time believing, however, that pro athletes are much worse in this regard than any other group of people who have strong "religious" upbringings and no real reason to care about changing their attitudes about things (stuck on sports autopilot starting from an early age, then come into a lot of money, etc.).

  4. #24
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I'm not sure what's worse, Hunter being a douchebag homophobe, or the people defending him.
    Standard "right to his opinion" fare. Total garbage.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    238
    Like
    12
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Society is turning the corner very slowly. We proved that in MN a few months ago by voting down the amendment to outlaw gay marriage and amen to that. I do not agree with him at all and still I will not expect everybody to automatically be on board. His comments on this issue did seem fairly mild to me and they seem like an opportunity. To blast him and call him a bigot vs. calmly pointing out why his comments hold no water seems counterproductive. A largely emotional response might be the bigger enemy.

  6. #26
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,999
    Like
    104
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Well he is a bigot, sorry if that hurts some of your sensible feelings or whatever. But if it quacks like a duck, etc etc

  7. #27
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,861
    Like
    181
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Standard "right to his opinion" fare. Total garbage.
    Well....it is America. He does have a right to be a douchebag. And you have a right to call him a douchebag for it. That isn't a defense of Torii....it's the truth. Nothing garbage about it. I completely disagree with his ignorant opinion, but he has a right to have it. Just like you do yours.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Hunter's opinion on this is not unpopular.

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,999
    Like
    104
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Nishioka > Hunter

  10. #30
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Ultima... My name is Mike Sixel...there, not anonymous.

  11. #31
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    For those of you saying he has a right to an opinion, replace gay with "Mexican" and defend your argument. Please. I'm dying to see you do it.

    (and if you say it's not the same, it IS. The exact same arguments used against gays today were used through the 1960s against people of color).

    Intolerance toward the intolerant is the one time it's fine to be intolerant. Say that five times fast.

  12. #32
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Homo's practice a behavior that some deem unacceptable. They are not a class of people.
    1. Nice use of "homo".

    2. Yes. Yes they are a class of people.

  13. #33
    Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Posts
    4,861
    Like
    181
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    For those of you saying he has a right to an opinion, replace gay with "Mexican" and defend your argument. Please. I'm dying to see you do it.

    (and if you say it's not the same, it IS. The exact same arguments used against gays today were used through the 1960s against people of color).

    Intolerance toward the intolerant is the one time it's fine to be intolerant. Say that five times fast.
    People have a right to think like racists too. What's your point?

  14. #34
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,116
    Like
    138
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I doubt that replacing "gay" with "Mexican" would be any more or less idiotic, and he still has a right to his opinion. In fact, I'm not sure that that changes the analysis at all.

    I think (and this is my personal opinion, so feel free to jump down my throat and call me a horrible bigot) that we should just kind of shake our heads and move on. This world is largely populated by idiots, and that's made manifest in constant and varying ways. Instead, we've taken this as an opportunity to engage in a holier-than-thou circle jerk.

    Yeah, I disagree with him. That doesn't make me special.

  15. #35
    The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Posts
    1,683
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Like
    6
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    323
    This is a touchy subject and I'm willing to let people speak their minds, even if their viewpoints happen to be as misguided as Hunter's. But referring to gay people as "homo's" is a good way to get your comments deleted and your account in danger of a ban.

  16. #36
    Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Posts
    1,088
    Like
    10
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I doubt that replacing "gay" with "Mexican" would be any more or less idiotic, and he still has a right to his opinion. In fact, I'm not sure that that changes the analysis at all.

    I think (and this is my personal opinion, so feel free to jump down my throat and call me a horrible bigot) that we should just kind of shake our heads and move on. This world is largely populated by idiots, and that's made manifest in constant and varying ways. Instead, we've taken this as an opportunity to engage in a holier-than-thou circle jerk.

    Yeah, I disagree with him. That doesn't make me special.
    If you replaced "gay" with "Mexican", I'd bet that MLB would immediately bring the hammer down on Hunter.

    Just speculation, though...

  17. #37
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,994
    Like
    4
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Well....it is America. He does have a right to be a douchebag. And you have a right to call him a douchebag for it. That isn't a defense of Torii....it's the truth. Nothing garbage about it. I completely disagree with his ignorant opinion, but he has a right to have it. Just like you do yours.
    I understand the "right to have an opinion" but not all opinions are equal, especially in the case of hate-filled ones. What I mean is that "entitled opinion" often merely leads to agree to disagree discussions. But that isn't aligned, at all, with the pursuit of truth (not capital T Truth, but little t truth). The truth is that there is nothing wrong with being gay. There is no way around that and it isn't simply open for valid disagreement because there is no rational basis whatsoever for the contrary view.

  18. #38
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,606
    Like
    68
    Liked 379 Times in 233 Posts
    While Hunter's fear of homosexuals is wrong, after reading the article the comments weren't nearly as inflamatory as I was expecting. He said he'd be uncomfortable with openly gay teamates, the comment sounded less hate-filled than the statements that about half of our elected officials make when they are asked to opine on the subject.

    I'll offer my own small-minded thought: What do you expect from a guy from Arkansas?

  19. #39
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I doubt that replacing "gay" with "Mexican" would be any more or less idiotic, and he still has a right to his opinion. In fact, I'm not sure that that changes the analysis at all.

    I think (and this is my personal opinion, so feel free to jump down my throat and call me a horrible bigot) that we should just kind of shake our heads and move on. This world is largely populated by idiots, and that's made manifest in constant and varying ways. Instead, we've taken this as an opportunity to engage in a holier-than-thou circle jerk.
    It wouldn't be any more or less idiotic but it puts the argument into far less socially acceptable terms for those that still cling to the "gay people are less than me because I disagree with their lifestyle" camp.

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Posts
    3,999
    Like
    104
    Liked 392 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    This is a touchy subject and I'm willing to let people speak their minds, even if their viewpoints happen to be as misguided as Hunter's. But referring to gay people as "homo's" is a good way to get your comments deleted and your account in danger of a ban.
    The preferred nomenclature is Brock1978

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.