Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Byron Buxton writeup on Fangraphs

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,248 Times in 497 Posts

Byron Buxton writeup on Fangraphs

Reports From Instructs: Byron Buxton

by Kiley McDaniel - December 28, 2012
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts
    I was just about to link that, too. Really nice write up.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Love this article. Great write up with a lot of critiques on the bad and a lot of praise for the good. Nothing overly negative. He seems to give realistic projections for Buxton and not going crazy like some scouts do. The analysis was very in depth...For me it gave me a better understanding on Buxton with only seeing him have a couple plate appearances. Wish more articles had this kind of analysis on ESPN and such.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Great, detailed, writeup, I was about to link to it also.....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That was a good analysis and solid projection of his potential. I will predict right now that Buxton ends up being pretty similar to . . .

Devon White. Remember him? I actually really liked him and if Buxton lives up to that it would be very good for the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why don't more people compare him to Griffey without the raw power. Same smooth swing - incredible defensive instincts & arm. Similar build at same age. His batting from other side is the rare difference. Just a thought

very excited to see him play, we stole him at number 2, he should have been number 1

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    That was a good analysis and solid projection of his potential. I will predict right now that Buxton ends up being pretty similar to . . .

Devon White. Remember him? I actually really liked him and if Buxton lives up to that it would be very good for the Twins.
    Yeah, White was pretty good. Had health issues - only 8 seasons out of 17 w/130 games or more and didn't steal as much after age 30 - but in his prime he was a pretty darn good ball player. Big part of those hated Toronto teams. I hope Buxton is a bit better offensively (although White's power is probably a realistic comp) but it certainly wouldn't be a bust if he had White's career.

Liked 12 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can guarantee you Byron Buxton won't be playing in Beloit next season as McDaniel stated on Fangraphs since the Snappers are now an affiliate of the Oakland A's.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 79 Times in 49 Posts
    An obvious comp to me would be Torii Hunter... similar size (when Hunter was younger), combination of speed and power. Buxton is faster and has the upside to be a better hitter too, but conservatism is warranted with prospects, especially unpolished ones.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post

I think that he is ahead of Devon White at this point as far as speed in concerned (plus Devon was a similar player and shared a last name with RonDL White, so that is not a good thing to wish anyone ). For me it is any place between Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson depending on power and pitch recognition development. He is fast. Faster than Revere and GoGo fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Why don't more people compare him to Griffey without the raw power. Same smooth swing - incredible defensive instincts & arm. Similar build at same age. His batting from other side is the rare difference. Just a thought
    Griffey was always a 70-80 power prospect and and 60 speed prospect

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    I like this article. It's bold and cynical, yet bound by tangible--and articulate--observation. The author takes the middle road on projection, which is the safe bet, but the author praises Buxton's capacity to go well beyond his safe bet.

It will be fun to see how Buxton adjusts to the competition of each level, because what we're watching for is his capacity adjust, not the excess of his skills.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I think that he is ahead of Devon White at this point as far as speed in concerned (plus Devon was a similar player and shared a last name with RonDL White, so that is not a good thing to wish anyone ). For me it is any place between Vince Coleman and Rickey Henderson depending on power and pitch recognition development. He is fast. Faster than Revere and GoGo fast.
    This is what came to mind for me: Rickey (Vince Coleman had literally no power, I think Buxton will be able to do better than VC in that department). If his speed is as advertised he can be that big of a weapon. You have to love players that have a skill set or ability so unique that they can do something that no one else can. It's very exciting to have that type of player in the system.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A faster and better defensive Devon White, then. Rickey Henderson is one of the greatest players of all-time. Let's calm it down!

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,248 Times in 497 Posts
    Here's another Buxton article on Fangraphs.

Like Aaron Hicks, Buxton Will Require Patience

"Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Here's another Buxton article on Fangraphs.

Like Aaron Hicks, Buxton Will Require Patience
    Sounds like he'll be ready right about the time Hicks is testing free agency...