Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indians sign Swisher

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts

Indians sign Swisher

Indians To Sign Nick Swisher: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

4yr deal with a 5th year vesting option that could be worth as much as 70m over all five years.

This could be good news for the Twins if it leads a team like the Rangers to panic and trade for Willingham and/or Morneau.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I really don't see the Rangers getting a a point where they "panic" and overpay for a guy like Willingham: they still have Cruz and Murphy in the outfield. Martin could be close to ready as well. In addition if they feel Olt is ready, they could move Kinsler to the OF potentially as well.

In addition, its not like Willingham is the only OF available, they could probably land Kubel pretty cheaply as well.

Yeah, and there is still Delmon Young waiting for the Big Contract now that Swisher signed. The interesting thing would be if Texas would consider trading the future for the present. But I agree that I would almost take Kubel over Willingham at the moment. Both play at about the same level. And Arizona will be more interested in shedding salary then getting a top flight prospect, I believe, as it gets down-to-the-wire on who we have to pay and play.

Swisher replaces both Sizemore and Hafner, both of whom contributed little in the immediate past to Cleveland, and both of whom are out there with the likes of Jim Thome and Johnny Damon looking for another chance. Be interesting to see where any of these guys end up.

Interesting how the pitching market seemed to dominate the Hot Stove League, and the big-name hitters came in a bit under their salary expectations (and years) compared to other seasons. With some middle infielders doing very well in that lackluster market.

Still some players in play...but how many 40-man roster spots actually still exist (yes, they can be easily made...Twins alone can shuffle the likes of Wood, Roienke, Butera, Hernandez, eve Benson if they desire).
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The cellar dewellar Twins will never catch the Injuns now.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Nick Swisher, face of the Cleveland Indians.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Never been a Swisher Fan... I think the change in home park may end up being a drop in production for him.

However... All in all... Choo for Bauer and Stubbs and now Swisher to replace Choo... Good off season for the Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Never been a Swisher Fan... I think the change in home park may end up being a drop in production for him.

However... All in all... Choo for Bauer and Stubbs and now Swisher to replace Choo... Good off season for the Indians.
    That largely depends on whether or not the Swisher contract turns into an albatross, unless you think they'll compete in 2013.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The chances of the Twins ending up in last place for the third year in a row seem to be increasing.

Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    The chances of the Twins ending up in last place for the third year in a row seem to be increasing.
    Right, but deals like these don't help the Indians long term chances and perhaps even hinder them, which, along with what KC had done this winter, makes me feel pretty good about our next competitive window around 2015. As hard as that may be to stomach now, the Twins aren't handcuffing their future what so ever.

MN is a 95 loss team but am not a huge Swisher fan...despite me bein a sbermetric guy.
    Think Nick benefited from bein in a great lineup with huge protection & not having star expectations.
    His 21-130 playoff BAve (.161/.263/.307 in 36 Yankee playoff gms----16-106 for .151/.262/.231/ not including MNs 6 gms!) shows how he will melt under the pressure he'll get in Clev if they ever get good.
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 12-23-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Handcuff how do you figure that? He is only 32 and in the prime of life. Get real and don't be jealous of a team that spends a little money, he will be great.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Right, but deals like these don't help the Indians long term chances and perhaps even hinder them, which, along with what KC had done this winter, makes me feel pretty good about our next competitive window around 2015. As hard as that may be to stomach now, the Twins aren't handcuffing their future what so ever.
    Good point. And if the Twins can lose 100 games next year, then maybe they can draft Appel and get him ready by 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Handcuff how do you figure that? He is only 32 and in the prime of life. Get real and don't be jealous of a team that spends a little money, he will be great.
    I can tell you're a thinking man.

Good point. And if the Twins can lose 100 games next year, then maybe they can draft Appel and get him ready by 2015.
    Look, I'm a proponent of competing in 2013/14 if it doesn't restrict better moves in the future. Would you have been willing to trade Willingham and sign Swisher to this deal, for instance? I sure wouldn't.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    3 SS Asdrubal Cabrera**
    4 RF Nick Swisher**
    5 C Carlos Santana**
    3-4-5 all are switch hitters and what is not to like. What do you think a #4 hitters worth?
    The Twins future will never come, it's only for dreamers, lose another 300 games and see where you are at.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Most likely Appel will be drafted this summer--the Twins have the 4th selection. The Twins won't jeopardize losing a draft choice the following year by overrunning the "slot budget"--which would require that Appel would sign for #4 slot money. He must still be available for the Twins to draft with that 4th selection--unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    3 SS Asdrubal Cabrera**
    4 RF Nick Swisher**
    5 C Carlos Santana**
    3-4-5 all are switch hitters and what is not to like. What do you think a #4 hitters worth?
    The Twins future will never come, it's only for dreamers, lose another 300 games and see where you are at.
    Wow. I'd pay like a bizzilion dollars for that middle of the order!

Liked 317 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I disliked Swisher when he was playing for the Sux and disliked him even more after what he did to Nishioka a couple seasons ago. Hope that at least one Twins' pitcher has it in him to pay him back, and with him in the division now, there will be chances.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    I disliked Swisher when he was playing for the Sux and disliked him even more after what he did to Nishioka a couple seasons ago. Hope that at least one Twins' pitcher has it in him to pay him back, and with him in the division now, there will be chances.
    What? Its fine to dislike him for his antics, but to dislike him for the Nishioka play is absurd.

The Nishioka play was a common and clean play, it's not his fault we literally had one of the worst 10 players of all time playing SS for us that game.

Also, that play actually benefited us, it took out an absolutely terrible SS/2B and forced us to replace him with a less terrible SS/2B. And then Nishioka ended up saving us some decent cash anyways!

Swisher has a 4.1, 3.8 and 3.9 WAR's the past three years. He is a good player and actually seems like a good clubhouse guy as well. (think Remond but with talent!)

Also when is the Baker signing press conference? I'd like to know the date and time so I can view it live on the web!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cleveland is NOT giving up 4th place without a fight. I don't like this move, they really aren't that close, should be dumping almost all their resources into pitching, and the contract will be over by the time they are competitive.
    Papers...business papers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast