Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Can Cubs be Fringe Contenders for wild card in 2013?

Can Cubs be Fringe Contenders for wild card in 2013?

I was looking at the pitching acquisitions that the Cubs have made, and when you look at the potential WAR that the new guys will bring, and the negative WAR that they will be ditching with their old crummy guys, they might be in line for 80 wins. I explain it all in depth in a blog post here: Cubs Could Contend in 2013 Based on WAR and Optimism « Kyle's Sports Thoughts

What do you guys think? One big "if" is how our boy Scott Baker bounces back from TJ. And even if the Cubs arent competitive, they at least are improving more on last year's terribleness than the Twins.

Minus the Edwin Jackson signing, I wish the Twins would have signed the same pitchers the Cubs did. Baker, Feldman and Villanueva are better than Pelfrey, Harden and Corriea for not a whole lot more money.

Cubs win the WAR trophy, handed out every December. They win nothing else.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I guess that is the difference in the 2 general managers....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the Twins future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    You don't know what the future is. The Twins would win the world series with those 4 pitchers.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Fringe yes, but they have issues with their starting 9. I think Theo is doing more rebuilding in that he's spending money with the hopes of flipping some of these gus for more prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krada1212 View Post
    Minus the Edwin Jackson signing, I wish the Twins would have signed the same pitchers the Cubs did. Baker, Feldman and Villanueva are better than Pelfrey, Harden and Corriea for not a whole lot more money.
    It's a little unfair to compare 3 major league signings to 2 major league signings and a minor league deal. I would hope that Feldman and/or Villanueva are better than Harden. Overall, I would still hold off comparisons between the clubs until the offseason is over - I still think the Twins add another pitcher and probably a CF, and wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs add a position player or two.
    Papers...business papers.

Both teams are kinda in the same boat. No one standouts in the rotation. Still some offense issues.

The Twins could still use a more top-of-the-line starter...someone who WILL pitch 200 innings...Carl Pavano two years ago. They could use someone with some punch in the outfield. Also, the infield has questions. Do they trade Morneau and start with Parmelee at first.

Right now, the Twins big questions is defense with a lot of contact pitchers. And lineup construction...who leads off and gets on base. Who protects Maruer/Morneau/Willingham.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Both teams are kinda in the same boat. No one standouts in the rotation.
    I think that Garza and Jeff Samardzija are both standouts. and Jackson and a healthy Baker are both probably better than the Twins currently have.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    The Cubs have put together an alright rotation since Garza and Samardzija are better than anything the Twins have. I also like the Baker and Villanueva moves a lot more than Corriea and Pelfrey. All the Twins have is Diamond and Gibson imo. But the Cubs lineup is awful. their offense consists of Soriano, Castro, Rizzo, Dejesus and an ugly mess. Perhaps they have a shot at 80 wins but they still have a long way to go.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sure it's possible but they got some tough clubs to overcome in the division... Reds are a nice team... Brewers are rarely pushovers... The Cards are in it every year... The Pirates have some nice young talent. Not to mention... For the Wild card spot they will have to compete with...The giants... Dodgers... D-backs... All trams that can get fat on the Padres and Rockies... also the Braves... Philles... And Nats who can get fat on the Marlins and Mets.

Thats a lot to overcome with Stewart playing 3B and Dejesus and Schierholtz starting in the OF.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    If everyone pitches to their maximum potential they might do well. Feldman's last good season was 4 years ago, Bakers last good one was 3 years ago. Garza only puts up great numbers the first year he is with a new team. Jackson wins about one more game than he loses every year. By salary, that is your ace.

I think it is sort of like Twins 2011 and 2012. If everyone reproduces their 2010 season the team will be fine
    Last edited by old nurse; 12-23-2012 at 08:11 AM.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I like what the Cubs did to help their major league pitching. Not sure about their hitting though.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    I don't like their chances.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also cubs rotation will require good health from all their pitchers. Almost a given that will not happen.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cubs system is pretty good, but not as good as the Twins
    If you match it up:
    Baez vs Sano
    Almora vs Buxton
    Sloer vs Arcia
    These 3 are about even, after this it is a big drop off
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    29 teams are at least fringe WC contenders... even the Twins at this point

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by krada1212 View Post
    I think that Garza and Jeff Samardzija are both standouts. and Jackson and a healthy Baker are both probably better than the Twins currently have.
    Who knows what you'll get from Garza as he returns from injury this year, and Samardzija has shown exactly nothing thus far to be called "standout". He is a mid-3s xFIP guy in a league and age when low-3s is expected from top guys and under 3 should be expected of a "standout". He has some solid peripherals, and if he could stretch out some to pitch more and more consistently this season, he could take steps, but he's not there yet.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!