Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Correia leaving money on the table...

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TR was using the sarcasm font, right? Right?!
    Brewers signed RHP Jim Hoey to a minor league contract.

The 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 5.47 ERA, 1.91 WHIP and 14/13 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings in his last big league exposure with the Twins in 2011. He'll compete for a middle relief role in the Brewers bullpen.
    Top Gun, you seriously need to stop posting completely irrelevant random signings in this topics.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 430 Times in 261 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Why would TR lie about something that is so easy to verify.
    \
    Cool. If it is "so easy", please verify by listing the other offers that Correia had.
    (not that "easy")
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Cool. If it is "so easy", please verify by listing the other offers that Correia had.
    (not that "easy")
    I don't know if anything that specific is easy to verify... But, isn't it fairly safe to assume... That other teams need pitching(bad enough to need Correia) and also safe to assume that GM's (especially Terry Ryan) are not going to throw extra years on contracts unless it was necessary to acquire the guy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    You guys crack me up. You realize all somebody has to do is as Correia why he came to Minnessota and if he left money on the table. Why would TR lie about something that is so easy to verify.

Do we have nothing better to do than rip TR every time he makes a public appearance?
    He was just doing a favor to his agent to make the signing look better.

I also heard the same thing out in LA about Zack Greinke also leaving money on the table. and how does the old saying "
    If You Believe This, I've Got Some Swamp Land in Florida to Sell You."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 530 Times in 350 Posts
    There are so many awesome parts to this interview. Good luck to the twins.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Probably wanted to come somewhere where he would be less likely to lose his rotation spot. Also somewhere that would be less critical of him when he posted a 4.92 ERA

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,217 Times in 487 Posts
    I wish he would have left another 10 million on the table.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 155 Times in 92 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I wish he would have left another 10 million on the table.
    I wish he would have taken the better offer. Is there still time for him to change his mind?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't care if he left money on the table, why are the Twins targeting these guys. I'd rather just throw out Cole DeVries and Sam Deduno for $500K then pay Correia 5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    I don't care if he left money on the table, why are the Twins targeting these guys. I'd rather just throw out Cole DeVries and Sam Deduno for $500K then pay Correia 5 million.
    Because by signing these stiffs, it may be the difference between 97 losses and 100 losses.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 735 Times in 454 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    Because at some point next season, the Twins will be sending out Deduno and DeVries due to injury or ineffectiveness. Correia doesn't help on the effectiveness side of things, but imagine what they'd be throwing out there if Deduno and DeVries were in the plans and they got hurt...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
    ... and does anyone expect that Deduno and DeVries are locks to repeat their 2012 numbers over the full 2013 season? I bet that neither gets >100 innings due to ineffectiveness and, for better or worse, Correia pitches more innings than the two combined.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 300 Times in 186 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I too find it hard to believe Correia had a truly comparable offer. Maybe a one-year deal for a hair over $5 mil, maybe something with an option year or incentives, but I can't imagine he was offered more than $10 million guaranteed over two years and turned it down. The dude is 32 years old -- there's no way he's looking at maximizing his value for his hypothetical next contract in 2015 when he'll be turning 35 years old. He needed to maximize his earnings at the present time, just like the vast majority of free agents always do, and I believe he did that with this Twins contract.

That said, I don't think TR was lying. He was probably just mistaken (like he was mistaken about signing Correia in the first place!) TR probably doesn't know for sure -- unlike some situations in other sports with qualifying/matching offers etc, baseball teams are generally making offers "blind" or at least limited by what information the agent or player gives them. TR probably thought Correia could get a larger deal. Does that mean Correia left money on the table? Maybe Correia hoped to get a larger deal but couldn't afford to wait and take the chance. Who knows?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 307 Times in 149 Posts
    This headline always makes me laugh! Thanks because looking at this team I want to cry!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jcphitman View Post
    Q&A with Twins GM Terry Ryan: Kevin Correia 'left money on the table' | 1500 ESPN Twin Cities ? Minnesota Sports News & Opinion (Twins, Vikings, Wolves, Wild, Gophers) | Sportswire: Minnesota Twins

Excellent interview from Doogie (I'm sure there was already a post linking this article, but I'm trying to get specific with a question):

From the article:

Why two years and $10 million? Couldn't you have gotten him for one year?
    We weren't going to get him.
    So, you need to overpay free agents to get them here?
    No. He left money on the table.
    That surprises me.
    He left money on the table. It is as simple as that. The market has gone up.
    Correct. Anibal Sanchez's contract (five years, $80 million with Detroit) surprised me.

My question:
    Ok, who made him a better offer or multiple better offers (if there were other teams)? What offers did he get? Did he get a multi-year offer from another team ... say 2 years 12 million for example?

If he got a better offer elsewhere, why did he want to come here?

I'm sure none of us will ever know, but I'm very curious to the answer of these questions.

Anyone want to venture a guess?
    I just read the interview with Terry Ryan, I liked it, cool, calm, collected. Not spending as much money as I'd like to see but he'll get the job done. It the Twins are in contention at the trade deadline, he'll have money to spend, if they're out, then he has some trade chips to get rid of for young players. You guys can bitch away about him but he'll get it done.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    I just read the interview with Terry Ryan, I liked it, cool, calm, collected. Not spending as much money as I'd like to see but he'll get the job done. It the Twins are in contention at the trade deadline, he'll have money to spend, if they're out, then he has some trade chips to get rid of for young players. You guys can bitch away about him but he'll get it done.
    OK then. Mark you down as another "In Terry We Trust" guy. You're either admirably loyal to a fault or fail to realize that even some of the staunchest supporters (even the guy that coined the phrase!) are having second thoughts and serious doubts based on TR's actions (and inactions).

Feel free to check back in again on this topic, say, come June. The topic then will likely be more about the shedding of trade chips from Twins Pretenders than the acquiring of talent pieces for Twins Contenders. The March to <$50M in 2014 begins in July 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    OK then. Mark you down as another "In Terry We Trust" guy. You're either admirably loyal to a fault or fail to realize that even some of the staunchest supporters (even the guy that coined the phrase!) are having second thoughts and serious doubts based on TR's actions (and inactions).

Feel free to check back in again on this topic, say, come June. The topic then will likely be more about the shedding of trade chips from Twins Pretenders than the acquiring of talent pieces for Twins Contenders. The March to <$50M in 2014 begins in July 2013.
    He had already lost me after that highlighted statement.

Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nothing wrong with optimism!

Its Ok to be optimistic... It really is... Hard to get up in the morning without it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    when asked if the Twins were done looking for pitching, Anthony said:

"I wouldn't day we're done," assistant General Manager Rob Antony said. "I wouldn't say were pushing hard. We have our feelers out there. If the situation is right, we could do something else. If not, we're O.K. too...''

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12