Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pirates signed Liriano

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Of course he will. He will be added to the list of players the Twins didn't want who moved on and excelled:
    Ortiz
    Dickey
    Hardy
    Marquis
    Garrett Jones (for a while)
    C'mon, if the Twins could've signed Ortiz for $700,000 or so, hey would've. But he was arbitration to high for them with how he had played. Remember, most other teams passed on him, too. Dickey is a fluke. The Twins signed him twice. If they had talked with Hardy and struck a deal, he would still be here....but the Twins thought he'd be too expensive, too. And they had blinders over the Japanese superstar. Marquis was cut loose too soon. But basically he was a wash. He allowed us yo experience Cole DeVries and Perdumo. Garrett Jones had no palce, blocked by Morneau and all the Twins outfielders of the most recent era. The Pirates gave him a chance and he shined, but don't see him drawing demand and $$$ elsewhere.

I'm totally surprised Liriano signed for $7 and two years. Too much to pay if you have to switch him to relief. Thought he would be lucky to get the $4 million with incentives for a year. I guess Pittsurgh is better than Miami or Houston, but the $-tight Pirates overpaid for him...and considering they though Correia was overpriced for them.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I must have missed the part where Liriano led the White Sox to a championship last October under Cooper's mentorship. If Liriano does succeed with the Pirates, it will have everything to do with Francisco pulling his head out of his ass and nothing to do with the Pirates front office or coaching staff. And for $14m, I'd prefer to see someone other than the Twins roll those dice. I like the chance the Twins are taking on Haren and Pelfrey better than dishing that kind of money to Liriano. (but the Correia signing was still awful)
    I wish they would have taken the chance on Haren.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    .000000001 %. SO im guessing you believe the Twins should have resigned Liriano?
    Actually no, I think they overpaid to get him. To inconsistent for me. As electric as his stuff can be, he still comes out as a 4-5.

My guess of 40% is strictly due to the "Murphy's Law" effect the Twins seem to be incurring over the last few years. In reality, I'd say it would be closer to 15-20%. He has shown to be capable of ripping off 10-12 decent starts in a row. Being in the NL should help him tremendously.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What difference does the money make? As of now, that money is going into the Pohlad's pocket. I'd rather see it spent on someone who might help the Twins, even if it's a ".00000001" percent chance.
    I would rather see it spent on anyone other than Liriano! Even Correia......

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    dont we all....

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    I actually like Correia in that scenario to be honest. With Liriano you have to basically catch lightning in a bottle.
    Unfortunately with Correia the only thing you're going to catch in a bottle is your own vomit after he leads you to a full fledged bender.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    I'm still blaming the Cubs for kicking over the first two dominos in the fifth-starter over-spending spree.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    I'm still blaming the Cubs for kicking over the first two dominos in the fifth-starter over-spending spree.
    Not going to argue with you there.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    What difference does the money make? As of now, that money is going into the Pohlad's pocket. I'd rather see it spent on someone who might help the Twins, even if it's a ".00000001" percent chance.
    You're right, the money doesn't matter. It's the second year I don't like (just as I didn't like the second year for Correia).

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's probably who JR thinks he just signed.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Unfortunately with Correia the only thing you're going to catch in a bottle is your own vomit after he leads you to a full fledged bender.
    Very graphic but probably true.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 607 Times in 232 Posts
    That's nothing compared to when you wake up, next to Sidney Ponson, and wonder where it all went so wrong.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the signing for the Pirates, 2 years, 2 chances to catch the Liriano lightening in a bottle. Maybe 2 years is risky, but I think moving to the NL can only help Frankie. I think he'll be worth at least 1.0 WAR in the next 2 seasons, which is about a wash for the moeny the Pirates are investing.

With the way the insane money was going for SP, I'm not surprised. I'd rather have Liriano over Correia even at more money Liriano was able to get. Liriano being left handed and the small promise of anything better than what we know Correia will give us makes bringing him back a better choice. However, what's done is done.

I wish Liriano the best. We'll find out if he has any promise left ... he has a better chance to succeed in the NL.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    dont we all....
    ---Haren wanted to go to a contender. He was pursued by multiple teams, but chose the Nats because he felt they had the best chance of winning a World Series. If that was his criteria, I don't see how Ryan was going to get him to come here.

Nationals make Dan Haren signing official

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that a guy coming off a season in which he was dropped from 2 different starting rotations, one of which was the worst in baseball, is getting a deal like this tells you a lot about the free agent market for starting pitchers.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins could have gotten him for org filler and picked up his option if they wanted him.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Brewers signed RHP Jim Hoey to a minor league contract.

The 29-year-old right-hander compiled a 5.47 ERA, 1.91 WHIP and 14/13 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings in his last big league exposure with the Twins in 2011. He'll compete for a middle relief role in the Brewers bullpen.

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    The fact that a guy coming off a season in which he was dropped from 2 different starting rotations, one of which was the worst in baseball, is getting a deal like this tells you a lot about the free agent market for starting pitchers.
    Liriano has high upside. If he can pitch to his potential, he could win the NL Cy Young. There is a very high risk that he will do poorly, but the upside potential is also very high.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Burnett really improved is command in Pittsburgh. I would have liked Liriano to stay with the Twins but not as long as Rick Anderson and Gardy are at the helm it just seemed like two exact opposites. Maybe it was all Liriano and he is just this awful head case but I got the impression Andy and Gardy added a little more to the equation then was ever reported.

I don't think its a bad contract though, if Correia is getting 2-10 then Liriano is worth 2-14 any day of the week. If he has a sub 5 era and pitch 175 innings with decent KO numbers its about equal to value. If he fixes his control and has a sub 4 era and gets towards 200 IP's with above average KO numbers its one of the best deals this off-season.

At worst though I think he could become a decent setup man/closer and with the contracts being handed out its still not a terrible contract.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast