Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which quarterback?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries

Which quarterback?

This popped into my head, and I can't get it out now, unfortunately.

Taking the team exactly as it is right now, without any consideration for the future, who would you rather have as the starting quarterback for the Vikings as they hopefully make it into and then play in the playoffs? Christian Ponder or Tim Tebow?

As much as I hate the notion of Tebow being my quarterback, I think he could actually work with this Vikings team when the primary job is just handing the ball to AP. Who cares if he can't throw, our receivers can't get open anyway.

Sorry for this, but I figured I should share my disgust with others. I'm not actually advocating that the Vikings go get him this offseason, that would be truly horrific, but if I could replace Ponder with Tebow right now, then switch them back after the season, I think I'd do it.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 77 Times in 44 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why would you switch them back? Tebow would be a much better option. Ponder is terrible, Tebow isn't a great passer, but he has an arm and is a great runner. Denver and NY were obviously not great places for him. I think he'll get at least one more shot as a QB.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    Why would you switch them back? Tebow would be a much better option. Ponder is terrible, Tebow isn't a great passer, but he has an arm and is a great runner. Denver and NY were obviously not great places for him. I think he'll get at least one more shot as a QB.
    hahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahaha

Tebow can't beat out Mark Sanchez, what the **** would make you think he is better than Christian Ponder? Holy ****, Tim Tebow is not a QB in the NFL. Get the **** over it.

Seriously, why not just direct snap to Adrian Peterson at that point?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Based on what Ponder did today, I would say that his legs are just as good as anyone in the league. He just needs to find the consistency that has been sorely lacking from his game.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

Tebow can't beat out Mark Sanchez, what the **** would make you think he is better than Christian Ponder? Holy ****, Tim Tebow is not a QB in the NFL. Get the **** over it.

Swearing a bunch in a post doesn't make your argument better, just an FYI. Tebow shouldn't be judged based on this year when he was clearly brought into a bad situation. Ponder might be a better QB, but it wouldn't be too hard for Tebow to be better than him. Unfortunately, a so-so performance from Ponder in this game looks so good because of how poor he's actually been. I hope he can turn it around, but I don't think he has the arm strength.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post

would love to see peterson throw it on a sweep or pitchback

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Both QBs have the same stengths (running ability) and weaknesses (throwing accuracy.) In the strength area Tebow is stronger. in the weakness area Tebow is weaker. Tebow seems like the better field leader, but he's also a more polarizing figure off the field. (For the record, I almost always agree with Tebow and think most of the controversy is caused by the preachers of "tolerance" demonstrating their intolerance, but any team that signs him needs to be prepared to deal with it.)

Al that said, I think the biggest obstacle to success for both is the inability to throw accurately, and I think Ponder had a better chance of overcoming that obstacle than Tebow. I'm not sure that either is a great answer.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,588 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Chris Kluwe and Tim Tebow on the same team would be journalism gold.

Swearing a bunch in a post doesn't make your argument better, just an FYI. Tebow shouldn't be judged based on this year when he was clearly brought into a bad situation. Ponder might be a better QB, but it wouldn't be too hard for Tebow to be better than him. Unfortunately, a so-so performance from Ponder in this game looks so good because of how poor he's actually been. I hope he can turn it around, but I don't think he has the arm strength.
    You mean, Christian Ponder has been Tebow-like?

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Chris Kluwe and Tim Tebow on the same team would be journalism gold.
    Cut Kluwe and maybe the Jags will pick him up, too.

Oh, wait, they just spent a 3rd-round pick on a punter, didn't they?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Taking the subject a little off topic, with Ponder out for tonight's game, now is the chance for all of the Webb lovers (if there are any) to jump on the band-wagon.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts
    Webb's a nice 3rd QB to use as a flex guy. Tonight showed he's not even a valid back-up, much less a starting option. They need to go get Fitzpatrick, Flynn or someone similar who can compete with Ponder but will be OK being a back-up.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    I like Webb, but he is nothing more then a wildcat option at this point, and if he isn't good enough to at least be a 4/5wr or a special teams player there really is no reason to dress him week in and week out, bring in Flynn or Smith or draft a kid like Landry Jones to at least give the Vikes 2qbs who can at least not embarrass themselves on national TV. Webb was downright terrible.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 386 Times in 201 Posts
    Meh, I have a hard time believing that an "option only" plan would have worked against the packers. At some point you need to at least prove that you can pass the ball, (like ponder last week) in order to get 9 and 10 players from crowding the box.

Webb > Tebow

Quote Originally Posted by ericchri View Post

As much as I hate the notion of Tebow being my quarterback, I think he could actually work with this Vikings team when the primary job is just handing the ball to AP. Who cares if he can't throw, our receivers can't get open anyway.
    last nights Joe Webb's performance goes to show that you need a QB who has the threat of completing a pass, even if its a dumpoff to the RB.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Now I know you are just looking to be inflammatory.

Webb:888-371-01.jpg

Blog Entries
    I really don't think its fair to asses Webb on last night's game. He was thrown into a playoff game against a pretty good team with a weeks worth of reps (if that) and without playing the entire season. It was an almost impossible position. In the second half he started to look more comfortable, but it was too late at that point. I don't think an option-only gameplan was the way to go, but I agree Musgrave could have called some better plays. Webb has an awesome arm and I wish we got to see extended play from him to see if there is anything there. I doubt that chance will ever come though. I really liked some of the balls he threw and think there is talent there. Despite that, he would have a lot polish to become a quality NFL QB.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    The arm strength is there - the instincts and accuracy are not. He's not an NFL-caliber QB and a bad choice as a backup on a team with a QB who has a history of injury problems.

That said, I think Musgrave was trying too hard to loosen up the Packers defense for Adrian. Way too many 2 and short play action calls, especially in the second quarter. People are ragging on the defense but they were on the field for 11 and a half minutes in the second quarter plus almost all of the last 6 minutes of the first quarters. That's basically 17 minutes out of 21 that the defense was out there thanks to some of the play-calling. I chalk that up as much as anything for the loss last night. The d was playing ok up until that brutal stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast