Thread: Who's going to be dropped?

Who's going to be dropped?

According to the Twins website, the Twins now have 40 players on their 40-man roster. If they add another player, who is most likely to get dropped from their present roster?

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any of the half dozen guys they put on it a few weeks ago.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thielbar, Butera, Escobar, and Wood would each likely clear waivers.......Butera would as well, and don't forget Butera.

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimestoneBaggy View Post
    Thielbar, Butera, Escobar, and Wood would each likely clear waivers.......Butera would as well, and don't forget Butera.
    I kinda think Wood and Escobar have to be strong opening day lineup considerations... You should consider someone like Butera instead.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
    Please lord let it be Butera

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The 8 players added to the 40-man roster before the Rule 5 draft can't be removed from the roster at this time. That would include Wood and Thielbar. Players such as Pedro Hernandez, Alex Burnett, Casey Fien, Roenicke and Butera would all be eligible for some type of move.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    DeVries?

I think two more people end up getting dropped. Twins will still sign a SP and a CF.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 207 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Butera would be claimed. The question is, should that matter?

I think it should for this year... He can be the backup catcher this season while Herrmann gets a couple of months in Rochester and is ready if there's an injury. It allows Gardy to have both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup together... (like it or not, it's the reality)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Correia.

Does anyone else think Wood is going to start the year in the Twins bullpen? I do. He's got tasty Terry Ryan-minor-league-signing slathered all over him IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

I think it should for this year... He can be the backup catcher this season while Herrmann gets a couple of months in Rochester and is ready if there's an injury. It allows Gardy to have both Mauer and Doumit in the lineup together... (like it or not, it's the reality)
    I agree with this. It is a better option than having someone who should get consistent playing time and I'll use Hermann as the example here, sitting on the bench getting maybe 2 or 3 at bats over a week.

Also, it gives Gardy an extra reliever in a blowout. Then again, he strikes out too many hitters.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    No, it wouldn't matter, a .500 OPS has no place on a major league roster.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 40 Times in 26 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting question... I don't think anyone really jumps off the page as guy #40 (whether that's good, bad or indifferent is another thing) because the recent additions are safe until the spring. I think it's gotta come down to someone from Pedro Hernandez or Anthony Swarzak. With Swarzak being out of options and the recent news that he was told (along with Duensing) to prepare to report as a "starter" (not that I think that makes a huge difference), that Swarzak is maybe most likely to lose his spot... and probably stay in the organization.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    So what if Butera got claimed, about a hundred other no-hit catchers just like him will be looking to sign a minor league deal just to get a spring training invite.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Roenicke is 30 and has no up side. Wasn't Butera dropped last year? No one picked him up. I don't see how he I proved his stock in the last year. Worst case, Herrmann begins his career as a back up catcher this year or the Twins find another defensive catcher. I can't imagine that going from Butera to a Rene Rivera type would have any impact on the won loss record. Maybe the worst case is that they don't have a better option than Drew Butera next spring.

I hope they don't drop some of the younger players mentioned above. A lot of growth can happen between 23 and 27.