Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neal: Twins interested in Rich Harden

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

Neal: Twins interested in Rich Harden

According to the Star Tribune's LaVelle Neal, the Twins have been in talks with representatives from pitcher Rich Harden.

Harden has not pitched since 2011 -- at which point he threw just 82.2 innings after working just 92.2 innings the previous season. When healthy, he's missed a whole lot of bats but his health has never been a friend to him and those days may be long gone. Still, he represents a deviation away from the pitch-to-contact methods used by the two more recent signings in Kevin Correia and Mike Pelfrey.

For a minor league deal, it is a perfect gamble - even if it winds up just like Joel Zumaya.
    @OverTheBaggy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The more darts you throw, sooner or later you're bound to hit the bulls-eye, right?
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by luke829 View Post
    The more darts you throw, sooner or later you're bound to hit the bulls-eye, right?
    not when the target is behind you.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 68 Times in 51 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Much better than the other signings if it happens, but my god they must just be trying to piece together fragments of pitchers to put together 400 innings at the back end of the rotation.

We should definitely get him AND Brandon Webb. World Series 2008 here we come!

But seriously, I like Rich Harden. I'd do it.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Can't hurt, and its prob the best situation for him. If he proves healthy he basically has a rotation spot won, and in a pitcher friendly ball park etc.

I actually really like this off-season if Ryan is able to bring in Marcum (or another similar pitcher via trade)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Can't hurt, and its prob the best situation for him. If he proves healthy he basically has a rotation spot won, and in a pitcher friendly ball park etc.

I actually really like this off-season if Ryan is able to bring in Marcum (or another similar pitcher via trade)

Just throwing this out there...take it for what it's worth. ESPN ranked TF as the 10th best hitter's park in 2012

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 184 Times in 104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Just throwing this out there...take it for what it's worth. ESPN ranked TF as the 10th best hitter's park in 2012
    Did you see the guys we were throwing out there last year! Haha, you get the point though. Maybe it isn't super pitcher friendly, but no one would mistake it for a true hitter friendly park.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This wouldn't be a bad signing. He won't be getting much more than the minimum plus incetives. I agree he likely will be hurt, much like Zumaya, but this a vet minimum risk and an #1/2 type reward.

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bring him in... He might be lights out for the 6 starts he makes in 2013 before going on the 60 day...

Im actually serious... We might only get 6 starts out of him and we should still bring him in. Cuz he might be lights out for those 6 starts.

Roll them dice... 7 come 11.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    If teflon does sign him , i hope it is with an option year attached.
    The mistake he made in signing Pelfrey

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    If the Twins want to bring Harden in on a minor-league deal, that's fine. You can't expect much out of a guy like that with his history. I mean, even in his "healthy" years he only topped 150 innings once! But he's got good stuff and might be able to contribute out of the bullpen more effectively?

If you sign him, and he's healthy. Which approach do you take? Start him and let him burn out after two months, or put him in the bullpen to see if he lasts? Do they maybe see him as an early season bridge to Pelfrey or Gibson?

Anyway, I look forward to Terry Ryan sticking it to the doubters.

Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Harden will make a great addition to the bullpen. He has already shown he can't stay in one piece as a starter. At this point he should become a top set up man.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 343 Times in 196 Posts
    Better than Correira. So there is that.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 316 Times in 188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsfaninsaudi View Post
    If you sign him, and he's healthy. Which approach do you take? Start him and let him burn out after two months, or put him in the bullpen to see if he lasts? Do they maybe see him as an early season bridge to Pelfrey or Gibson?

Anyway, I look forward to Terry Ryan sticking it to the doubters.
    Most likely flip him at the deadline.

I've always been a fan of a healthy Harden. Bullpen or starter hopefully the Twins can get lucky this time and he holds up. Assuming he signs here of course.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 344 Times in 229 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Bring him in... He might be lights out for the 6 starts he makes in 2013 before going on the 60 day...

Im actually serious... We might only get 6 starts out of him and we should still bring him in. Cuz he might be lights out for those 6 starts.

Roll them dice... 7 come 11
    Did you mean a 7-man rotation on the way to an 11-man?
    That's perfect, with Burton to set-up and Perk to close!
    We're on our way now, Woo-Hoo!

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Did you mean a 7-man rotation on the way to an 11-man?
    That's perfect, with Burton to set-up and Perk to close!
    We're on our way now, Woo-Hoo!
    It would be the opposite approach to what the Rockies did with their rotation last year.

Liked 133 Times in 60 Posts
    Isn't Harden throwing in the low to mid 80s right now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast