Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Tommy John surgery recovery time

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Tommy John surgery recovery time

I was not able to find the exact dates of the surgeries, but I believe Baker had Tommy John in Mid April of 2012 and Pelfrey had Surgery in May of 2012. In an article posted at the end of April this is what was said about Baker.

"His recent surgery requires a total twelve or more months of rest as the team doctors also agree that he should not be hurrying to play again instead take complete rest and try to prolong his career with the Twins and in the MLB."

This is what lead me and many to believe that Baker would not be ready for opening day 2013. Why do I keep hearing that Pelfrey is expected to be ready for us on Opening day 2013 when his surgery took place after Bakers? Everyone responds differently to surgery, but just about everywhere I have read that Baker will not be ready whereas Pelfrey will be ready, where is this coming from? It always seems that guys take almost a full year to recover and then another year to become close to where they were at prior to surgery. This would lead to Pelfrey being a real contributor in 2014. He is on a one year contract for us. Am I wrong in thinking that Gibson will be in a better position to contribute than Pelfrey this season?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Darren Wolfson tweeted last weekend, "#MNTwins source confirms Pelfrey move. When asked via text if he'll be ready for Opening Day, the source said, "Most likely not... close.""

I have read somewhere that he was already throwing and throwing pretty well, so that's encouraging.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think any of them will be much tell Sept.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I was not able to find the exact dates of the surgeries, but I believe Baker had Tommy John in Mid April of 2012 and Pelfrey had Surgery in May of 2012. In an article posted at the end of April this is what was said about Baker.

"His recent surgery requires a total twelve or more months of rest as the team doctors also agree that he should not be hurrying to play again instead take complete rest and try to prolong his career with the Twins and in the MLB."

This is what lead me and many to believe that Baker would not be ready for opening day 2013. Why do I keep hearing that Pelfrey is expected to be ready for us on Opening day 2013 when his surgery took place after Bakers? Everyone responds differently to surgery, but just about everywhere I have read that Baker will not be ready whereas Pelfrey will be ready, where is this coming from? It always seems that guys take almost a full year to recover and then another year to become close to where they were at prior to surgery. This would lead to Pelfrey being a real contributor in 2014. He is on a one year contract for us. Am I wrong in thinking that Gibson will be in a better position to contribute than Pelfrey this season?
    Pelfrey had surgery on May 1, so the recovery time is a wash. Ryan must have gotten an all-systems-go from his medical staff, as otherwise this signing makes little sense. As a one-year guy who is looking for a bigger payday when healthy, the Twins, in effect, have a very precarious 4 month window to flip him in. The best way to flip him is to limit his innings and hope for a few good performances in May/June that peaks some interest. So yeah, Gibson is in a better position, but the Twins have their own set of workload calculations and risk/contract managment with him.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 809 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Darren Wolfson tweeted last weekend, "#MNTwins source confirms Pelfrey move. When asked via text if he'll be ready for Opening Day, the source said, "Most likely not... close.""

I have read somewhere that he was already throwing and throwing pretty well, so that's encouraging.
    Thanks, Seth. Amongst the vast sea of negativity, you always find at least a nugget of hope to hang out hats on.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I looked into this as well after the Pelfrey signing. Pelfrey's was May 1, Baker's was April 16th or 17th.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Baker also had a second injury, I don't know how or if that impacted his rehab.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 77 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Baker also had a second injury, I don't know how or if that impacted his rehab.
    Right. I can't say I'm positive of the details, but I think Baker had his proflexor tendon cleaned up (the original reason for the surgery) in addition to the TJ, which was added in mid-operation. I'd be curious to hear whether that lengthens the rehab timeline.

In any event, pitchers are coming back from Tommy John quicker than ever these days, though you wouldn't know it as a Twins fan. As things stand, Pelfrey is two years younger than Baker and his arm has held up better to the rigors of the major leagues, so I'd bet on him bouncing back more quickly. That's a big reason I prefered him on a one-year deal.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Nelson View Post
    In any event, pitchers are coming back from Tommy John quicker than ever these days, though you wouldn't know it as a Twins fan. As things stand, Pelfrey is two years younger than Baker and his arm has held up better to the rigors of the major leagues, so I'd bet on him bouncing back more quickly. That's a big reason I prefered him on a one-year deal.
    If we are looking at him long term, we should have gone two years or at least had options put into the contract. If we are only looking for a stopgap starter to fill out the rotation until our future get here, then we should have signed someone that was ready on opening day, like Corriea. I know he doesn't have any upside, but at least he will be able to eat 200 plus innings for us and bridge the gap to 2015. The only way the Pelfrey signing makes sense is that we get him healthy and build his demand, so that we can flip him at the tread deadline. Some how I can't see Terry making the signing with that as the game plan.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know this sounds bad, but Pelfrey is a 1 year contract, not a long term deal, so quite frankly, I doubt they care much about limiting his innings. If he was a young guy under team control, like Gibson, it's a different story.