Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowden: Next Top Prospects to Be Traded

Liked 46 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bowden: Next Top Prospects to Be Traded

ESPN's Jim Bowden names some top prospects that could be dealt in the near future to fill holes at the MLB level. He specifically names SPs Danny Hultzen from the Mariners, Julio Teheran from the Braves, Jameson Taillon from the Pirates, and Zach Lee from the Dodgers. About Hultzen, "Hultzen has middle-of-the-rotation stuff with his changeup being his best secondary pitch and his command and control the difference-maker. Hultzen should be enough to garner a 20-home run, 80 RBI-type bat in return."

The next top prospects to be traded - The GM's Office by Jim Bowden Blog - ESPN (Insider required)

I think we could certainly match up with Mariners and Braves. Would Willingham be enough to get Hultzen or Teheran? Any chance the Twins would trade a third OF this offseason?

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 345 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The general comments that we hear are that Willingham would only fetch a middle of the rotation starter, at best. Can't imagine top 20 type prospects would be possible... not that I wouldn't ask!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 183 Times in 113 Posts
    I've seen a few Atlanta boards where some were willing to get rid of Teheran for Willingham. Although some were strongly against it, too. He must be a polarizing prospect for Atlanta. I've been a big fan of Lee and hoped the Twins could get him last year (it was rumored that the Dodgers were willing to do a Lee for Carlos Lee deal with Houston but Carlos vetoed it). But I'm not sure the Dodgers need anything we have. Pirates might be dumb enough to trade Taillon at the deadline if they think they're close but they'd be better off keeping him and having him #2 to Cole in a few years.

I think Ryan would trade Willingham for a front line starter but I don't think the offer will come and I don't think Ryan would trade Willingham for a Hardy like pu-pu platter of low prosects. I think something more interesting might be a prospect swap. Say Arcia for Hultzen. LH power doesn't play well at TF but might be a better fit in (or elsewhere). Prospect for prospect trades don't happen that much but I think it would be pretty fun to see one.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As much as I like Willingham, remember he was a free agent last offseason and settled for 3/21 from a last-place ballclub. He's a useful player, and could possibly fetch a useful player in return, but he's not THAT valuable on the market. He's not going to fetch a top starter or top prospect of any kind.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 297 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And whenever I hear "prospect for prospect swap" I think back to the Young-Garza deal (although technically they all at least some MLB experience under their belts in that deal).

So suffice to say, I am terrified of prospect for prospect swaps. (I think TR would do it a lot better than Bill Smith, of course. But I don't expect one anytime soon.)

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    And whenever I hear "prospect for prospect swap" I think back to the Young-Garza deal (although technically they all at least some MLB experience under their belts in that deal).

So suffice to say, I am terrified of prospect for prospect swaps. (I think TR would do it a lot better than Bill Smith, of course. But I don't expect one anytime soon.)
    That's why I love them. Bullock for Diamond. At the time, Twins fans were all "ARRGH" and Atlanta fans were all "Woo-hoo!"

And I think a guy like Arcia might be near his peak value now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I hope they keep Arcia...of all the prospects close to hitting the Bigs, I'm most excited to see him with the big club

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 94 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    That's why I love them. Bullock for Diamond. At the time, Twins fans were all "ARRGH" and Atlanta fans were all "Woo-hoo!"

And I think a guy like Arcia might be near his peak value now.
    Then you will love trading Diamond, wouldn't he be at his 'peak" value? My XXX, why do people think the Twins should trade a guy because "he's at peak value"? In order to build a quality team, the quality players must be retained. It's the lesser players who should be traded--the fool's gold.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Then you will love trading Diamond, wouldn't he be at his 'peak" value? My XXX, why do people think the Twins should trade a guy because "he's at peak value"? In order to build a quality team, the quality players must be retained. It's the lesser players who should be traded--the fool's gold.
    Diamond likely is fool's gold.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Not sure the hostility is deserved there. You'd trade a guy b/c you think you'd get something better back for your team. I don't think Arcia's bat will play well in TF so I'd be happy to trade him for something else we need - such as a pitcher.

It's not often you get to trade fool's gold for a good piece. Bullock/Diamond was a nice example, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I hope they keep Arcia...of all the prospects close to hitting the Bigs, I'm most excited to see him with the big club

Agreed. I watched some Arcia AB's on youtube and he's fun to watch at the dish. He reminds me a little bit of Morneau in that he's aggressive but has a good eye (excluding 2012) and he crushes every pitch. Arcia's definitely on the fast track and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's our 2014 starting RF.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In terms of value, Willinham wouldn't seem to be enough to get a prospect like Teheran. But we have seen that if team is desperate enough (Philies, Blue Jays, Royals), they are willing to trade top prospects for big league help. If a team is willing to overpay for Willingham, get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    I think Ryan would trade Willingham for a front line starter but I don't think the offer will come and I don't think Ryan would trade Willingham for a Hardy like pu-pu platter of low prosects. I think something more interesting might be a prospect swap. Say Arcia for Hultzen. LH power doesn't play well at TF but might be a better fit in (or elsewhere). Prospect for prospect trades don't happen that much but I think it would be pretty fun to see one.
    I like the idea but prefer more of a hybrid. What if we traded Willingham and Benson for Hultzen and a throw-in or two?

Quote Originally Posted by righty8383 View Post
    In terms of value, Willinham wouldn't seem to be enough to get a prospect like Teheran. But we have seen that if team is desperate enough (Philies, Blue Jays, Royals), they are willing to trade top prospects for big league help. If a team is willing to overpay for Willingham, get it done.
    You may be right, the Phillies are still in search of a right-handed hitting, middle-of-the-order, LF with about $7-$8 million left to spend. They've been rumored to be in on Alfonso Soriano, Vernon Wells, and Cody Ross but Willingham's contract and performance should trump those 3. Biddle and Ruf would be 2 super-intriguing guys to add to our organization and align perfectly with our 2014-2015 prospects.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by Big City View Post
    I like the idea but prefer more of a hybrid. What if we traded Willingham and Benson for Hultzen and a throw-in or two?
    I don't know enough about Hultzen but the theory is fine. My guess is that Benson has very little trade value now so it'd have to be someone else. I think any of Hicks, Arcia, Kepler would draw legitimate interest from other teams (and that the Twins might be willing to move). Whether Willingham and Arcia (for example) is too much or too little for Hultzen, I'm not sure.

I think Righty has the right idea - let someone get desperate and overpay. Your suggestion that to target a guy like Biddle is a good one.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    If Willingham could net Hultzen, you would do that instantly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    The general comments that we hear are that Willingham would only fetch a middle of the rotation starter, at best. Can't imagine top 20 type prospects would be possible... not that I wouldn't ask!
    I thought those comments were related to getting back a current MLB middle of the rotation pitcher as opposed to a prospect (who obviously isn't a proven commodity).

If Nick Swisher gets > 4/50 as rumored, I would tend to think Hultzen is pretty reasonable to ask for when you look at Hammer's remaining 2/14.

Right now, today, Willingham is at least as valuable as he will ever be. Will he be equally productive in 2013...where the Twins will be scrambling for a 1-2 hitter, Mauer won't be seeing any good pitches, and Willingham will have to at 4th to see a runner on base or probably lead off if he bats 5th or 6th consistently? Like Delmon Young, the Twins do need to consider offers when a guy is hotter than just hot, and not wait for them to be luke warm. Then you get the more distant prospect. Same with Morneau.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Right now, today, Willingham is at least as valuable as he will ever be.
    Which is exactly why the Twins should still consider moving him this offseason, as hard as it might be to justify trading away a third starting OF.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,163 Times in 1,682 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If Willingham could net Hultzen, you would do that instantly.
    Right. It may not be that exactly the same voices saying "Ryan should wait for some team to overpay" are also saying "why isn't Ryan doing more?". But the overall din sounds like that. Highly favorable deals do not pop up every day, and for now Willingham's contract would be hard to replace with another stopgap OF solution that gets us to 2015, so why move him just for the sake of motion if the prospects in return aren't likely to contribute strongly to the next contending squad?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast