Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Article: Is Joe Mauer a lock for the HOF?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    I think he's got many of the "career highlights" to get in already, but he really needs to start adding to his totals to be a cinch. Hits especially.
    No catcher has as many as 2700 hits...

Only 8 catchers have 2000 or more hits...be shocked if he doesn't get there. 730 to go.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-26-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lock? Not yet. He probably needs at least 2-3 decent seasons and up to 5 more total seasons (play out his contact). Too early to tell - he just has 9 season under his belt. After their first 9 seasons, Juan Gone, Darryl Strawberry, and Doc Gooden were "locks" too.

Is Pudge a "lock"? is Piazza a "lock"? Is Pedro a lock? Is Bonds a lock? Those are more meaningful discussions.

I just have a hard time talking about HOF credentials of players in their prime. Give them time.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Lock? Not yet. He probably needs at least 2-3 decent seasons and up to 5 more total seasons (play out his contact). Too early to tell - he just has 9 season under his belt. After their first 9 seasons, Juan Gone, Darryl Strawberry, and Doc Gooden were "locks" too.

Is Pudge a "lock"? is Piazza a "lock"? Is Pedro a lock? Is Bonds a lock? Those are more meaningful discussions.

I just have a hard time talking about HOF credentials of players in their prime. Give them time.
    Pedro is a 100% lock...so is Piazza.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Mauer is no lock at all to be a HOF. You want to factor in that he is putting up HOF numbers for a catcher, but he is no longer a full time catcher. So all stats he compiles me nothing if he keeps playing 1B.

By the way, I fully expect him to one day be a HOF. That would be the Twins Hall of Fame. Tony Oliva deserves to be in Cooperstown more than the Golden Boy Joe Mauer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Mauer is no lock at all to be a HOF. You want to factor in that he is putting up HOF numbers for a catcher, but he is no longer a full time catcher. So all stats he compiles me nothing if he keeps playing 1B.

By the way, I fully expect him to one day be a HOF. That would be the Twins Hall of Fame. Tony Oliva deserves to be in Cooperstown more than the Golden Boy Joe Mauer.
    Except all the things he's done...as a catcher...as him being the ONLY catcher to EVER do, won't go away even if he's playing less catcher as his career goes on. BTW, it's Gardy who has him playing less catcher. Having Doumit there to fill in, Butera needing his playing time too, and with Morneau needing to play less at 1B due to doctor's recommendation, Mauer was the best choice to fill in.

But, by your post, you can tell you just dislike the guy...you really don't have much of an argument

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    No catcher has as many as 2700 hits...

Only 8 catchers have 2000 or more hits...be shocked if he doesn't get there. 730 to go.
    That's all well and good, but he has 1,270 right now. 2,000 is another four very good seasons away.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Every one of those guys should be first-balloters, though Bonds probably won't make it because the BBWAA is full of hypocrites.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    That's all well and good, but he has 1,270 right now. 2,000 is another four very good seasons away.
    And he just turns 30 next year..and, yeah, he has 1,270 hits... that's why I wrote he was 730 hits away from 2000 :-)

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post

He's still playing at least half the time at catcher, so I think he still counts as a catcher. And regardless, his stats count even if he'd DHing, just maybe not as much to some voters if he stops playing a significant defensive position.

Oliva was a terrific player and has a reasonable HoF case, but the injuries really costs him and the last 5 years of his career added very little to his case for the Hall. Oliva had an 8 year run where he was an elite hitter and was an all-star for all of them. But his case is based on the premise that his peak was high enough to to get him in absent real longevity, as the other 7 years of his career just don't help him.

Mauer, on the other hand, is already almost even with Oliva's career WAR, above him in OPS+ and looks to be able to add several more seasons of significant value. The only way Oliva is above as a player Mauer is if Mauer stops playing in May and ends his career.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Did anyone read Gleeman's latest article on Mauer, dated Dec 28?

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Did anyone read Gleeman's latest article on Mauer, dated Dec 28?
    I just read it and found it informative. Here is a link.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234