Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New idea for 2013 OF situation

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries

New idea for 2013 OF situation

I am currently blogging about this and other things and should be done by tomorrow, but here is some of that:

Given how Terry Ryan has gone on to approach the starting rotation for next year, it is apparent that there is no need whatsoever to rush prospects like Hicks and Arcia at all before June 1st, for control reasons, and perhaps later for development reasons. This means an OF of Willingham-Mastroianni-Parmelee. There is an obvious question surrounding who the 4th OF is in this situation. While I think Chris Herrmann should be on the roster as a backup catcher and 5th OF, I also think that the Twins need not look outside the organization to find their 4th outfielder. Wilkin Ramirez quietly had a good year at AAA last year and has past experience in CF, so he could cover all three OF positions. His .767 OPS at AAA with 15 homers in 396 plate appearances is nothing to disregard. He is Mastro with less speed but more power. There is no reason to waste further money and this would allow for Hicks and Arcia to develop.

And honestly, this would mean no return of Clete Thomas or a Komatsu clone. Outside of the starting rotation collapse at the beginning of last season, we seem to have forgotten how bad RF was for awhile too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There are a few options that would cost a million or less, Johnny Damon, Nyler Morgan, or Scott Posednick. While I wouldn't want them to be anything more than backup, I wouldn't mind them starting long enough to extend Hicks and/or Arcia's service time another season.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I am currently blogging about this and other things and should be done by tomorrow, but here is some of that:

Given how Terry Ryan has gone on to approach the starting rotation for next year, it is apparent that there is no need whatsoever to rush prospects like Hicks and Arcia at all before June 1st, for control reasons, and perhaps later for development reasons. This means an OF of Willingham-Mastroianni-Parmelee. There is an obvious question surrounding who the 4th OF is in this situation. While I think Chris Herrmann should be on the roster as a backup catcher and 5th OF, I also think that the Twins need not look outside the organization to find their 4th outfielder. Wilkin Ramirez quietly had a good year at AAA last year and has past experience in CF, so he could cover all three OF positions. His .767 OPS at AAA with 15 homers in 396 plate appearances is nothing to disregard. He is Mastro with less speed but more power. There is no reason to waste further money and this would allow for Hicks and Arcia to develop.

And honestly, this would mean no return of Clete Thomas or a Komatsu clone. Outside of the starting rotation collapse at the beginning of last season, we seem to have forgotten how bad RF was for awhile too.
    Are you aware that the Twins did recently sign Clete Thomas to a minor league contract?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree 100% on waiting to bring either of them up until after the projected Super 2 date. However, if the Twins don't bring anyone in, my worry would be about what the Twins would be left with if someone got dinged up or injured. I wouldn't mind seeing them try to grab either an old vet like someone mentioned or try to grab a 4th OF off waivers just before or during ST (a la Mastroianni). I don't see what it would hurt.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Juan Linares Baaastons #17 prospect , would be a nice inexpensive piece to add into the mix and maybe a future trading chip
    He is 28 yr old cuban defector ,who player AA and AAA last year ,mostly right field ,but can play all 3 positions. I think Ryan and many
    are counting to heavely on Parmele next season ,and we need some kind of insurance if he doest live up to expectations

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    1. Here is to hoping that Benson Arcia and Hicks play so well this spring they can't be sent down.
    2. Last year in AAA Ramirez was a better player than Thomas so I would hope that he gets another shot before Thomas

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 432 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Damn. I clicked into this thread hoping that the new idea for the OF would be cardboard cutouts of the 2001 versions of Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones, and Matt Lawton.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Damn. I clicked into this thread hoping that the new idea for the OF would be cardboard cutouts of the 2001 versions of Torii Hunter, Jacque Jones, and Matt Lawton.
    Compare the potential WAR of a cardboard cutout of any of the three to the real Clete Thomas . . .

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roger View Post
    Are you aware that the Twins did recently sign Clete Thomas to a minor league contract?
    Yes and I just suspect that he must be below Ramirez and even Bigley in the pecking order now. Dear God.

Blog Entries
    If the Twins spend a dime on Morgan, Podsednik, or Damon I will throw up. First of all, Damon is a terrible 4th OF option. Second, Morgan is a total jackass. Third, Podsednik is in full freefall and would be a total waste. Ramirez still has some time to get better and be valuable until the full corps of OF prospects arrives.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post

Yeah I guess this wasn't such a bad pickup. He put up the exact same OPS. as Ramirez last year, with less power but better OBP. Two years older than Ramirez.

Joe Benson will be a solid 4th Of or starting cf for 2 months till Hicks is ready & Joe slide to a RF platoon with Arcia after Justin trade

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    God forbid we sign someone with some personality (Nyjer). He'd be a very solid 4th OF.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raindog View Post
    God forbid we sign someone with some personality (Nyjer). He'd be a very solid 4th OF.

Think the Orlando Hudson of the OF, but worse. And he is also declining significantly.

We need a backup that can play centerfield. But, yes, Hermann would be the perfect third catcher to be the backup if you, say, played Benson in right and Parmelee took Justin's place at first (a position he would share, also, with Doumit and Mauer at times). This would free us up to, say, give Thome a ride as part-time DH and bench bat, if the Twins so desire, to add a bit of spark at target field. A bench of Herrmann, Benson, Carroll/Dozier/Florimon/or Escobar, Thome would be right fine by me.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    What is the white version of the Soul Patrol called?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Right now, we only have Maestro who can play CF. That means Benson or Hicks will make they team (likely Benson). If Benson comes up, they'll start him to see what he can do and Maestro will be the 4th OF. Obviously Hicks, in the unlikely event they start the season with him in the Bigs, obviously will start. I can't see Benson being promoted and sitting in favor of Maestro.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-20-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Liked 707 Times in 455 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    What is the white version of the Soul Patrol called?
    Skol Patrol?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Right now, we only have Maestro who can play CF. That means Benson or Hicks will make they team (likely Benson). If Benson comes up, they'll start him to see what he can do and Maestro will be the 4th OF. Obviously Hicks, in the unlikely event they start the season with him in the Bigs, obviously will start. I can't see Benson being promoted and sitting in favor of Maestro.
    Both Boggs and Ramirez can be backup OF playing all three positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast