Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Angels/Mariners Trade

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Angels/Mariners Trade

Angels trade Kendrys Morales to Seattle for Pitcher Jason Vargas. Los Angeles Angels trade Kendrys Morales to Seattle Mariners for Jason Vargas - ESPN

Seems to be a good trade for both teams.

I wonder if the Twins could have got Vargas for Morneau?

Thoughts?

Liked 2,279 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't like the Morneau for Vargas idea because I still hold out hope that Morneau will have a good 2013 and improving trade value at the deadline.

Id like to see the Twins roll the dice with him. Maximize his value if at all possible. His value right now seems to be at a lower point.

As for this Trade... Seattle needs the help offensively and they have real good options with their rotation so it looks great from a value fairness standpoint. The only problem is that it does crowd things a little. Morales would be a 1B/DH guy and they have Montero and Smoak. Meanwhile a gaping need for more production in the OF. I know Smoak has been disappointing thus far... But the guy has some serious pop. I think you keep rolling with him a little while longer.

An OF would be a better fit for Seattle in my opinion. Which OF would be available??? That's a real tough question?

Vargas would be a solid acquisition for Morneau, but if they want to keep a spot open for Hendriks/Gibson, etc this year for 5th spot....no spot for him with Corriea.
    Woulda been very happy with him. Dont think they can do better & problem is IF Justin has a bad first 4 months....we hear there is no trade market for him & if he goes back to his previous production...Ryan wont want to trade him but sign him to an extension.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    I wonder if this move puts Nolan Ryans knickers in a twist , and maybe desperatly wanting to add a piece or 2 , maybe Morneau and Harrison for Elvis or Olt?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why take an asset from the Twins when you can take an asset from a division rival? This is a silly move on the Angels part, in my opinion.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 844 Times in 540 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So now we know approximately what it would have taken to make a waiver claim on Vargas last August. Throw in one of the Mariners nice set of prospect pitchers and you could have traded Willingham for Vargas and gotten a better version of the Revere trade, especially if you could have worked out an extension on Vargas as part of the deal.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Why not just sign a FA?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    Why would the Twins acquire Vargas? He is a free agent after this year, no reason to spend assets (other than money) for that. Much better use of Morneau is to hold on to him, hope he regains some value, and flip him at the deadline.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    I wonder if this move puts Nolan Ryans knickers in a twist , and maybe desperatly wanting to add a piece or 2 , maybe Morneau and Harrison for Elvis or Olt?
    This kind of nonsense has to stop. The rangers already have Moreland who was similar to Morneau last season. they aren't going panic and trade a top 25 prospect or one of the best MLB SS's for Morneau and top 200 prospect.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AllhopeisgoneMNTWINS View Post
    I wonder if the Twins could have got Vargas for Morneau?
    I'm sure they could have. What team wouldn't prefer a guy with worse numbers who gets paid way more?