Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Twins still seeking third base help?

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think we should have a 25 man roster and that all 25 should contribute. I have no problem with 3B competition and I think Plouffe could become a 30 home run guy and play a mean defensive hot corner in time. The backup could do some pinch hitting and play 3B when Plouffe plays some outfield because Parmelee is playing DH or 1B because Doumit came down with the flu while Morneau is nursing a bum ankle or Plouffe can just have a day off when he goes into a funk... I don't know who that backup should be... 3B is a little thin around the league. You may have to find a AAAA type.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    Three Words: Mark DeRosa

Senior Member Triple-A Paul Pleiss's Avatar
    Twitter
    @baseballpirate
    Liked 97 Times in 66 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Plouffe can get back to his power hitting ways from last summer his lack-luster below average at defense is an acceptable loss. If he turns back into a pumpkin or cant keep his BA around .250, then his offensive skills will not outweigh the problems with his glove. That being siad, with 2013 looking to be another bad season for the Twins, give him all the chances he needs to find his power stroke, what's the harm?

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Three Words: Mark DeRosa
    You know what would be worse than signing DeRosa? Overpaying him.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thing about Plouffe and his "bad defensive issues" in a season when he hit 24 HRs (which, to remind you, is more than ANY Twins hitter hit in 2011 and any RHB hit in 2010; Thome hit 25 then) is ridiculous, especially coming from the same powers of being who were trotting Brian Butcher out there when the Twins were "Competing".

Those are the facts and read what you want into them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    This thing about Plouffe and his "bad defensive issues" in a season when he hit 24 HRs (which, to remind you, is more than ANY Twins hitter hit in 2011 and any RHB hit in 2010; Thome hit 25 then) is ridiculous, especially coming from the same powers of being who were trotting Brian Butcher out there when the Twins were "Competing".

Those are the facts and read what you want into them.
    Any predictions on how many HRs Plouffe will hit in 2013? How manyHRS (or OPS) are needed to justify him as a regular 3B?

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Any predictions on how many HRs Plouffe will hit in 2013? How manyHRS (or OPS) are needed to justify him as a regular 3B?
    I see this was directed at Thrylos... But I'd like to play.

2011: At age 25 he hit 23 home runs between AAA and the bigs in a combined 540 at bats.
    2012: At age 26 he hit 24 home runs in 422 at bats... 17.6 AB/HR

This looks like a trend up during a career prime age. Assuming at least decent health... I think he will have more at bats in 2013 because of the lack of alternatives.

I'll say a dinger every 16 at bats... 550 at bats... Run it through this special computer my son brought over to me... Oops... He says its not a computer... It's a calculator... My bad... Punch up the numbers and I predict with a 99 percent chance of being wrong.

34.375 home runs!!!

I'm not afraid to be wrong but wouldn't it be cool if I end up right or close.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 96 Times in 70 Posts
    Wow! That is super! Somehow we'll have to find a way to quell all of the "sell high" guys. I mean how many posts have we read advocating trading Willingham?--or any of the newly signed pitchers should he "have a good 1st half, then 'flip' him"--these guys are relentless.
    Last edited by Kwak; 12-22-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12