Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade with Toronto Blue Jays

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Trade with Toronto Blue Jays

If Toronto Trades for RA Dickey, they will have at least 7 starting pitchers for 2013 at over $50 million.
    1. RA Dickey $5 million (at least)
    2. Josh Johnson ~$14 million
    3. Mark Buehrle $12 million
    4. Brandon Morrow $8 million
    5. Ricky Romero $8 million
    6. JA Happ ~$4 million
    7. Dustin McGowan $1.5 million
    8. (Kyle Drabek)

I realize the Blue Jays get $9 million in salary relief for Johnson/Buehrle/Reyes, but that is still a lot of salary.

Would you be excited or mortified if Terry Ryan's plan all along was to trade for Buehle?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would take any of those arms that you listed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Mortified, There a still better FA.

Buehrle's still owed a bunch of money after this year if I'm not mistaken. And he's on the down slope of his career. I wouldn't want that.
    The Jays have also been bitten by injuries to their pitching recently so I imagine they want to keep most of that depth, esp. since they're pretty seriously loading up for a playoff run. But maybe one of the lower-end arms becomes expendable?

Been hoping for a Brandon Morrow trade.....think this guy is hugely primed for a monster year

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    ESPN reports Dickey agreed to a 2 year, $25 million contract. That is pretty cheap for a guy coming off a Cy Young. R.A. Dickey agrees to contract extension with Toronto Blue Jays, sources say - ESPN New York

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Wouldn't it be cheaper to just sign a legit FA, and not give up anything but money, than to trade for Buerhle, pay the same amount of money, and have to give up something else also?
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by TRex View Post
    Would you be excited or mortified if Terry Ryan's plan all along was to trade for Buehle?
    Ryan will not trade prospects for Buehrle and the 3 years ($36M) remaining on his contract when he probably could get Boras to agree to either a make-good one-year deal for Edwin Jackson or a 2 or 3-year deal for the same or less without giving away any prospects.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    I'd be very interested in Josh Johnson, Morrow,Romero or Drabek.

Drabek could be a good buy low candidate. The rest would prob cost significant prospects, it would be a good time to target Romero as well, but the Jays have no real reason to trade him.

Buehrle is not worth it at the moment. Sign Saunders, but he is only needed for two years, so probably not worth the expense. I would still look at Myers or Padilla with a 2-3 year deal and an option for a 4th. I imagine Happ will be long relief. Right now, today, it doesn't pay for the Twins to trade prospects...that is their future. The bigger question is that at some point the Twins need to play prospects, which will be hard to watch and endure, but until they play, you don't know. Seriously, the Twins are rebuilding. I hate the fact of them not spending money, yet I wonder why spend money if it isn't going to make much of a difference...you can't necessarily buy victories. Too bad the Twins spent all that time and energy selling us on going to Target Field to watch baseball (not the team at that time). Now is when you have t promote the outdoors Target Field experience. TwinsFest is on the horizon. The Twins are all screwed up. Will be interesting to see how they spin 2013 and beyond.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

I'd love to see the Twins go after Drabek.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 197 Times in 125 Posts
    If the goal is to get the team K/9 under 5.0, getting Buehrle might be vital. Not a goal I'm fond of, but seems to be the current effort of the front office.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    I'd like to see them buy low on Romero. Guess I dont' know why he dropped off so harsh this last year but I think depending on the cost he'd be a nice upside guy to take off their hands.

Member Single-A
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Toronto Blue Jays Depth Chart | MLB Baseball at CBSSports.com
    They certainly have some players I wish my team had. They really don't have many glaring needs that I see. Maybe they have use for Morneau (EE at DH, Lind trade bait?) or Willingham (trade Davis, or Rasmus?) I really don't know much about the team, who they prefer, who's expendable, etc. But they are as win-now as a team can possibly be, right? JW and JM both offer potential upgrades. I'm sure it's just a pipe-dream, but some of those arms would sure be nice.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Morneau seems like an obvious fit due to the 1 year contract and the whole Canadian thing, doubt it would be enough to land much though.

Is it too out of line to wish for them to go after Drew Hutchinson? I was surprised I didn't even see him mentioned in the original post. Package Morneau with someone?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins best friend View Post
    Is it too out of line to wish for them to go after Drew Hutchinson? I was surprised I didn't even see him mentioned in the original post. Package Morneau with someone?
    As an added bonus Hutchison has already had his TJS.
    There isn't enough defense on the planet to justify giving 500+ PA to a guy who can barely OPS .600.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 342 Times in 195 Posts
    Yeah Drabek would be a mighty nice target.

Quote Originally Posted by GCTF View Post
    As an added bonus Hutchison has already had his TJS.
    It's like the chicken pox right? It's best if they get it young. In all seriousness though I completely forgot about his injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    If the Twins want a Blue Jay sign Villaneva would be the smart thing to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast