Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Adrian Peterson be the best RB of all time?

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 660 Times in 372 Posts
    I genuinely think your comments on this subject Joe are some of the most idiotic things I've read on a forum in a long time. You're really reaching. You are putting an enormous amount of your evaluation on passing related items and when you couple that with throwing fumbles in there as a criticism it appears you just are bent on being negative about him. Hard to take you seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    I genuinely think your comments on this subject Joe are some of the most idiotic things I've read on a forum in a long time. You're really reaching. You are putting an enormous amount of your evaluation on passing related items and when you couple that with throwing fumbles in there as a criticism it appears you just are bent on being negative about him. Hard to take you seriously.
    I genuinely think you're a staunchy d-bag...... So yeah, I'm okay with it.

I'm sorry I don't think Adrian Peterson at age 27 is the best running back in NFL history. He is an absolutely amazing runner. What he is doing this year is absolutely ridiculous, especially considering his knee injury the previous year. But considering what backs like Ladanian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk have done recently in both the running and passing games, I don't think he is quite as good as them. Adrian rarely sees the field on 3rd and longs because of his inefficiencies as a pass catcher and pass blocker - if you watched the game today, you should have seen both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    But considering what backs like Ladanian Tomlinson and Marshall Faulk have done recently in both the running and passing games, I don't think he is quite as good as them. Adrian rarely sees the field on 3rd and longs because of his inefficiencies as a pass catcher and pass blocker - if you watched the game today, you should have seen both of these.
    So far your criteria to criticize Adrian Peterson would also have eliminated Jim Brown (Peterson has more receptions so far in his career comparatively), Barry Sanders (Physically incapable of throwing a block), and Walter Payton (fumbles) from the conversation. Personally, I'd re-evaluate my criteria in that light.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    Tomilson wasn't very good at all btw. He had maybe 4 good years.....But don't let get in the way of your retarded drunken rant(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    So far your criteria to criticize Adrian Peterson would also have eliminated Jim Brown (Peterson has more receptions so far in his career comparatively), Barry Sanders (Physically incapable of throwing a block), and Walter Payton (fumbles) from the conversation. Personally, I'd re-evaluate my criteria in that light.
    Personally I'd look at it this way:

Jim Brown played 9 seasons. The Cleveland Browns completed 1531 passes. Jim Brown caught 262 of those. That's roughly 20%. In the 50's/60's............ Goto pro football reference and check out what Jim Brown did in comparison to other running backs of his era. It's a bad comparison to even try to make from the beginning.

I know Peyton fumbled a lot in his career. Did I even bring him up? I brought up LT, Faulk, Sanders, and Allen. Walter and Bo were awesome in Tecmo Bowl though.

Sanders is a decent argument as far as the complete incapability of throwing a block, but Barry was more of a duel threat than AP ever has been. Barry being much more elusive, and Peterson being much more powerful, AP is going down a similar career path statistically.
    Last edited by Joe; 12-23-2012 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Tomilson wasn't very good at all btw. He had maybe 4 good years.....But don't let get in the way of your retarded drunken rant(s)
    Why would you say this?

I love you Joe, nothin' like a good old forum twat-waffle for everybody to gang bang every now and then... you my friend... are a moron

Quote Originally Posted by twins4121 View Post
    I love you Joe, nothin' like a good old forum twat-waffle for everybody to gang bang every now and then... you my friend... are a moron
    There is no way this stays on the forum....but holy crap! That gave me a good chuckle!

Gotta love an argument that says Walter Payton doesn't belong in the greatest RBs of all time. Credibility baby. This "best running back ever has to catch passes" bit is only missing a Larry Centers reference to put it into truly elite levels of idiocy. Way to overemphasize one element of the game.
    Last edited by TheLeviathan; 12-24-2012 at 08:32 AM.

lololol

Trouble is there are 2 arguments that aren't related.
    There is the position of RB as a whole(which is what the title of this thread(
    There is the art of running the ball.
    I am old enough to have watched OJ Simpson play.

With that if we are talking about the title of this thread, what RB would you want to be on the field if your team had a 4th and 1 from the fifty yard line with 45 seconds left in the Super Bowl and 2 timeouts and was trailing.
    Should be a running play, but if you are going to pass you want a guy who can pick up a blitzer, or maybe catch a swing pass. Remember, this is one play for the Super Bowl.

My list
    Walter Payton Not only the best running back, the best football player I have seen
    Marcus Allen One yard was a given and he even moved to fullback for a few years
    Emmit Smith Even though he had a great O line he was never tackled for a loss
    After that it is a tossup between a bunch of guys but Adrian is in the conversation

If you are talking about the art of running the ball I wouldn't put either Marcus Allen or Emmit in there but that is where Barry Sanders and OJ and Eric Dickerson come into play. Adrian would have to be strongly considered to be in the top few.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think you are either onto something or yo u're on something, Thor. There isn't a lot of space to argue against Emmitt Smith in terms of greatness. He holds too many records and most of them handily. Who you like as a runner, is personal opinion. I like Barry Sanders.

I loved to watch Barry and OJ run but I would never hand off to them on 4th and 1 with the Super Bowl on the line. 4th and 35 maybe.

I think you also have to discount the era's of which some of these players played. Brown/OJ and even to a lesser extent Smith all played in an era when the league was quite a bit less "pass happy" and the speed/strength was no where where it is now. There is a reason why RB's career expectancy's are constantly going down.

I'm not discounting what guys like OJ and Brown did, but if Peterson keeps this up for another 4-5 years (no reason why he can't) he has to be in the conversation of best ever.

OJ got his 2000 yards in a 14 game season. Jim Brown is still the only runner to average over 100 yards per game for a career.

IF Peterson is blessed with another 5 years he will be in the conversation as the best ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor View Post
    IF Peterson is blessed with another 5 years he will be in the conversation as the best ever.
    Career stats can be misleading. I prefer to talk about a back's ability to dominate a game and then let the career stats fall where they may. LT could never dominate a defense like Peterson, Sanders is the only back I've ever seen capable of this with the ball in his hands that compares.

OJ got his 2000 yards in a 14 game season. Jim Brown is still the only runner to average over 100 yards per game for a career.

Peterson has also the same exact YPA as OJ had.

Jim Brown is tough to compare to, since he played his last game almost 50 years ago, no? The game was a TON different back then and Brown had a relatively short career. But he is certainly in the top few of all time. Right now I think my personal rankings go (assuming Peterson continues at this pace for 3 more years then has another 3 or so years of very good play): Sanders, OJ, Peterson, Brown, and Smith (its absurd how much talent he was surrounded by)

If Peterson continues to improve, no reason he can't be the GOAT

I think you guys are still talking about the art of running the football, in which cas I would rank Sanders at the top but there is no way I would hand him the ball on 4th and 1 from the 50 with the Super Bowl on the line.

ps you can look it up, he has the most carries for loss in the history of the NFL along with his nearly 5 yd average.

I think you guys are still talking about the art of running the football, in which cas I would rank Sanders at the top but there is no way I would hand him the ball on 4th and 1 from the 50 with the Super Bowl on the line.

ps you can look it up, he has the most carries for loss in the history of the NFL along with his nearly 5 yd average.
    That's true but in that situation I may take a guy like Bettis or Mike Alstott.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That tends to happen when you play your entire career behind a Detroit Lions offensive line.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast