Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Pelfrey

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 149 Times in 78 Posts

Mike Pelfrey

Perhaps our other starter? Per twitter...

@ajkfan Getting some steam that the #Twins might be closing in on former Mets pitcher Mike Pelfrey. Stay tuned sports fans...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Joel Sherman of the New York Post confirms that the Mets and Blue Jays are nearing the completion of a seven-player trade involving knuckleballer R.A. Dickey.

As currently constructed, the trade would send Dickey, Josh Thole and an unnamed (non-elite) prospect to the Blue Jays in exchange for Travis d'Arnaud, John Buck, Noah Syndergaard and an unnamed (non-elite) prospect. Nothing is expected to be finalized until Sunday, so the parameters of the swap could certainly change before then.
    Related: Blue Jays, John Buck, Travis d'Arnaud, Josh Thole

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitte

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
    Sounds about right, there aren't many options left if the Twins are hoping to make a rotation with an average K/9 below 5.0.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope we get him... We need arms.

He's had a few decent years but he's a number 3 or 4 guy at best. He's only 28 which is a plus, he could hold down the bottom of our rotation for the next few years (maybe even the Twins 1 or 2 spot if the rotation stays as is), possibly eating up 200 innings a year and giving us chances to win. If we can get him i'd definitely be happy, just as long as we don't pay him like we did Correia... Marcum is the guy we should be focusing on i think.

Well, they better get him for less than the cubs paid Baker. Otherwise he may have been the better Tommy John Risk. A deal like Lannan's would be fine. If healthy Peltrey's better than what they had last year. Heck, Bill Smith couldn't get the Mets to include him in the Johan trade; settled on Kevin Mulvey.

I think TR is definitely going around shopping a one year deal and looking to see whose buying. I think they want the final two (or 3) spots in the rotation to be relatively open because ultimatley they want them to be filled up by the likes of Gibson, Hendricks, Meyer, and May. So they are looking for stopgaps and to keep the payroll low. Lannan probably wanted to stay on the east coast.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 800 Times in 503 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I vaugely remember someone saying that Pelfrey wanted to come here for whatever reason... He was a pretty highly regarded prospect for a while and I remember not being happy that he wasn't included in the Santana deal. However, my big concern is that the Twins have 2 guys who are not health risks going into 2013 in Diamond and Correa. Worley should be fine, but he's recovering from his own surgery. Pelfrey is recovering from Tommy John and Gibson has an innings limit. I kind of hope they go out and get another question mark (Bedard anyone?) and tell Gibson to stay home an extra month or two before reporting with plans to have him take over in the rotation whenever someone goes down.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Twins are only a couple of players away from winning the central. Go Twins!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 843 Times in 539 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I vaugely remember someone saying that Pelfrey wanted to come here for whatever reason... He was a pretty highly regarded prospect for a while and I remember not being happy that he wasn't included in the Santana deal. However, my big concern is that the Twins have 2 guys who are not health risks going into 2013 in Diamond and Correa. Worley should be fine, but he's recovering from his own surgery. Pelfrey is recovering from Tommy John and Gibson has an innings limit. I kind of hope they go out and get another question mark (Bedard anyone?) and tell Gibson to stay home an extra month or two before reporting with plans to have him take over in the rotation whenever someone goes down.
    Bingo on Bedard! Between him and Correia, he's definttely the better pitcher- and they can still sign him today for less money than Correia, probably a one-year deal with a team option. He pitched into some bad luck last year, after starting out great for the Bucs, that's the kind of low-risk deal the club should have made last year- and still can now.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Good point on the health risks.

Regarding healthy arms, the Twins have their hands full already in injured-winged throwers, with a poor record at maintaining their health or returning them to previous form. I'd say pass on Pelfrey.

I prefer Pelfry over Correia but alas, we are stuck with Kevin. A one year low risk deal for Pelfry would be O.K. I like Bedard under the same circumstances. But I REALLY think they should try a lot harder with Marcum. He's pitched in the A.L. and shown he can handle it. Bedard as well. Correia...??? Nope.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 375 Times in 193 Posts
    Sign pelfrey and marcum and I would give this offseason a B

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pelfrey is precisely the kind of guy the Twins should have targeted instead of Correia. Jurrjens too. Combined they almost certainly won't equal Correia 2013 salary and so it is a low-risk, moderate reward scenario. Signing Pelfrey, Jurrjens, and Marcum would have been a nice approach. Maybe it still happens . . .

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Pelfrey is precisely the kind of guy the Twins should have targeted instead of Correia. Jurrjens too. Combined they almost certainly won't equal Correia 2013 salary and so it is a low-risk, moderate reward scenario. Signing Pelfrey, Jurrjens, and Marcum would have been a nice approach. Maybe it still happens . . .
    Still sign Pelfrey Jurrjens and Marcum? An embarrassment of riches. Except they just flushed down the toilet alot of that money on Correia.

Won't happen. If it did, I think the Twins could challenge the record for Most Days on the DL by one pitching staff.

Welcome to the bargain bin.

I understand everyone thinks Correia is overpaid and are more than willing to share his k/9 rate in order to prove it. However, it's not like this deal is breaking the bank for the Twins. In other threads folks who are much better at math than me did some thorough analysis with information from Fansgraph which suggested that the Twins are underpaying for the improvement he will give them. His previous deal was 2 years $8 million. He didn't pitch poor enough to warrant a pay cut and plenty if teams were going to see it that way.

According to MLBTR the Twins are about to sign Pelfrey. Minnesota Twins Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    I want to see the terms before having much of an opinion.. but relying on numerous guys coming off TJ makes me a bit nervous.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Have the terms been released yet? I forgot he was coming off TJ. Maybe 1 yr with a club option?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS 14m
    Big Pelf gets $4M plus $1.5M in incentives. Coming off TJ surgery but already throwing well. #twins
    #twins agree to terms with mike pelfrey. Expect him to be ready opening day. Still looking for yet another starter.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast