Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Myers

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Brett Myers

I really wished the Twins would have signed Brett Myers over Kevin Correia. It would have given the Twins a backup for Perkins if he falters as closer next season. Terry Ryan could have offered $7M to Myers instead of wasting $10M on 2 years for Correia.

Liked 77 Times in 58 Posts
    Guesing most everybody agrees with you on this. I hate the Correia signing in a vacuum, but I'll REALLY hate it if Ryan doesn't find at least one more starter besides Worley that exceeds the Diamond Standard. Myers would be a poor man's solution to this. Kind of the tilapia of options, Greinke being lobster, Sanchez being sea bass....let's hope he signs him, because the options are getting pretty depressing.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I like fish....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not to late to sign Matt Capps to a 4 year deal.

Does that make Correia the Asian Carp option?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add Marcum. Myers, Saunders or someone like that. If everyone were healthy it is Marcum Myers or Saunders, Correia, Diamond, Worley and Hendriks. While this rotation won't scare the Giants, it has decent placeholders until Gibson, Meyers, Berrios and May are ready and would give the club a shot to be around ,500 anyway.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.
    I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.

Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
    His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.
    Kubel has been mentioned going several places. His pedestrian second half of the season may hurt his trade value. Rangers and Orioles have also come up in trade talks.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
    His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role
    If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    You have to offer the money before someone can take it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    An Indian.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 815 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.
    Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -
    Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

So much for giving anyone a second chance ever?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Indians have reached a one-year contract with Brett Myers.

The deal includes a club option for 2014. Myers, 32, had a solid 3.31 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 41/15 K/BB ratio in 65 1/3 innings of relief last year between the Astros and White Sox. He'll return to starting duties with Cleveland and should carry value in mixed fantasy leagues.

Can't wait to see the contract. In contest against who we signed for two years and one year, I hope they over[paid him for one year and the option. Otherwise.....

Rebuilding. Just Say It!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

So much for giving anyone a second chance ever?
    Then there was the time they had to physically separate him and a reporter in Philadelphia. Third chance for anger management?

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...
    There is a difference between paying someone what they are worth and way overpaying. The Pohlads for mediocre talent will not overpay. They put out the money for Pavano and Baker. They put out the money for Mauer and Morneau. They extend Doumit when he showed his value to this club. Please don't even begin to think that I share your view.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast