Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: The Moves We Long For. Is Terry Listening?

The Moves We Long For. Is Terry Listening?

Last year, I emailed Mr. Ryan.

In retrospect, that was probably a very silly thing to do. I'm sure it annoyed him greatly.

I emailed to beg Mr. Ryan to sign the likes of Josh Willingham and Yoenis Cespedes, INSTEAD of Michael Cuddyer. Now, for various reasons, I pulled Willingham from my points, because I had much better thoughts on Cespedes. Point being, Cespedes and Willingham were going to be bargains compared to the likes of Cuddyer (and perform just as well or better). It ended up being better. Part of my argument was asking that Denard Span be traded amidst these moves (Got my wish a year later, on that one).

Now, here we find ourselves staring at opportunities once again and with an open payroll. I get the Twins saving money before they have to start signing these young kids to bigger deals, but I see a few options out there worth while. Take Aledmys Diaz. He's a 6'1" right handed hitting shortstop that defected from Cuba. Not every Cuban has turned up roses, but I don't see anything shiny in our cupboard for shortstops right now either. Plenty of OFers. Eddie Rosario is our lone possible sunshine at a middle infield spot (2B) down the road. I say take a shot, throw a few million in the pot and get an almost MLB ready guy at 22yrs of age.

I doubt I'll be emailing this one... but I don't really see a point as to why they're not kicking the tires on this one. Get Tony Oliva in there and let's take a look.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Haddyz View Post
    I say take a shot, throw a few million in the pot and get an almost MLB ready guy at 22yrs of age.
    If by "a few" you mean 20 to 30, it might be a possibility.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I get the Twins saving money before they have to start signing these young kids to bigger deals, but I see a few options out there worth while.
    I don't see which youngsters you are talking about that we'd end up having to pay bigger money to that would hinder our spending now and up through the next 3, 4 years...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    If by "a few" you mean 20 to 30, it might be a possibility.
    Are those the numbers you've heard thrown around for him?
    Last edited by ThePuck; 01-04-2013 at 05:42 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Last year, I emailed Mr. Ryan.

In retrospect, that was probably a very silly thing to do. I'm sure it annoyed him greatly.
    I would think it didn't annoy him because he never saw it. If he doesn't have an intern screening e-mails from fans trying to help him do his job, we are in big trouble.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 171 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    I would think it didn't annoy him because he never saw it. If he doesn't have an intern screening e-mails from fans trying to help him do his job, we are in big trouble.
    He did have an intern. After a single offseason of answering emails from TwinsDaily posters, he had to be sent to a place called Arkham Asylum. Last I heard, he was wearing a green suit and really into brainteasers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN, Twins assistant GM Rob Antony gave the impression that the Twins did not attend Javier Vasquez's tryout in Puerto Rico on Friday.

Antony also made it sound like making a big move for a starter, such as Shawn Marcum or Joe Saunders, wasn't going to happen. Barring an upgrade, the Twins will head into spring training with Vance Worley, Scott Diamond and Kevin Correia as the top three pitchers in their rotation.
    Related: Twins

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post

Antony also made it sound like making a big move for a starter, such as Shawn Marcum or Joe Saunders, wasn't going to happen. Barring an upgrade, the Twins will head into spring training with Vance Worley, Scott Diamond and Kevin Correia as the top three pitchers in their rotation.
    I sure hope that is just a negotiating ploy to get some agent to move a little on price. I have a feeling that it is what it is however, a bunch of guys that need to pitch career years, just to keep us at .500

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Now, here we find ourselves staring at opportunities once again and with an open payroll. I get the Twins saving money before they have to start signing these young kids to bigger deals, but I see a few options out there worth while. Take Aledmys Diaz. He's a 6'1" right handed hitting shortstop that defected from Cuba. Not every Cuban has turned up roses, but I don't see anything shiny in our cupboard for shortstops right now either. Plenty of OFers. Eddie Rosario is our lone possible sunshine at a middle infield spot (2B) down the road. I say take a shot, throw a few million in the pot and get an almost MLB ready guy at 22yrs of age.
    Per Doogie's latest Scoops - The Twins will have a scout in Mexico on Saturday to watch Cuban prospects Dariel Alvarez (24-year-old outfielder) and Aledmys Diaz (22-year-old shortstop). The Twins had heavy interest in Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler before he signed with the Cubs in June. They also were interested in Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes before he signed with the A's last winter.

Here's hoping!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that Brandon Inge is "on the radar" of the Twins.

The 35-year-old infielder hit .218/.275/.383 with 12 homers and 54 RBI in 83 games between the Tigers and Athletics in 2012 before shoulder surgery ended his season prematurely. He still plays above average defense and could be a solid addition to the Twins bench if healthy.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins showing a modicum of interest in the two Cubans is the only good note to note. The rest involves freaking Brandon Inge, Scott Podsednik, not even offering anything to Myers, and being involved in Cleveland talks about Jeanmar Gomez.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 22 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Are those the numbers you've heard thrown around for him?
    I was making an assumption based on the previous cost of Cuban players and the fact that paying for older international free agents is the only uncapped method of acquiring talent (outside of major league free agency). I would guess the higher revenue teams won't hesitate to throw around huge money. The Twins could do so in theory, but it would be a high risk, probably moderate reward (at best) type of move, not the type that this franchise typically engages in. Maybe we can all hope they are cutting payroll this year to save money to make such a move...
    Papers...business papers.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    honestly, if they are punting on 2013, I'd rather the payroll savings going towards one of those high dollar cuban players.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I was making an assumption based on the previous cost of Cuban players and the fact that paying for older international free agents is the only uncapped method of acquiring talent (outside of major league free agency). I would guess the higher revenue teams won't hesitate to throw around huge money. The Twins could do so in theory, but it would be a high risk, probably moderate reward (at best) type of move, not the type that this franchise typically engages in. Maybe we can all hope they are cutting payroll this year to save money to make such a move...
    Okay thanks

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here's hoping they sign the Cuban shortstop Diaz. It would be a risk, but the Twins do not have a shortstop in the system who could be here in the next two years. Santana is the only shortstop that has a chance and he rates to start at New Britian, and is no guarentee to hit enough to stick.

Liked 50 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hope they get the SS Diaz, But I am still looking at being competetive next season. The way to do that is by having a solid bench so I hope they get Inge and Sweeney. If Kelly Johnson is still available towards the end of January, I hope they get him on a 1 year 2-4 million contract. I would like to see the Twins sign Marcum or Saunders too as I think they need 1 more pitcher for depth as there are numerous pitchers comming back from injury.

and last but not least Punto.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Per Doogie's latest Scoops - The Twins will have a scout in Mexico on Saturday to watch Cuban prospects Dariel Alvarez (24-year-old outfielder) and Aledmys Diaz (22-year-old shortstop). The Twins had heavy interest in Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler before he signed with the Cubs in June. They also were interested in Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes before he signed with the A's last winter.

Here's hoping!
    interest yes, willing to pay ? no

just like all these pitchers we have had interest in , once there agents tell us how much there looking for , we dont even make an offer.
    if Terry ryan signs 1 of these 2 cubans , i will literaly stop drinking for 90 days...

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN reports that Brandon Inge is "on the radar" of the Twins.

The 35-year-old infielder hit .218/.275/.383 with 12 homers and 54 RBI in 83 games between the Tigers and Athletics in 2012 before shoulder surgery ended his season prematurely. He still plays above average defense and could be a solid addition to the Twins bench if healthy.
    only if he can still catch and we dump butera