Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Brett Myers

  1. #1
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    579
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    Brett Myers

    I really wished the Twins would have signed Brett Myers over Kevin Correia. It would have given the Twins a backup for Perkins if he falters as closer next season. Terry Ryan could have offered $7M to Myers instead of wasting $10M on 2 years for Correia.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    772
    Like
    344
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    Guesing most everybody agrees with you on this. I hate the Correia signing in a vacuum, but I'll REALLY hate it if Ryan doesn't find at least one more starter besides Worley that exceeds the Diamond Standard. Myers would be a poor man's solution to this. Kind of the tilapia of options, Greinke being lobster, Sanchez being sea bass....let's hope he signs him, because the options are getting pretty depressing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    4,602
    Like
    495
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    I like fish....
    Lighten up Francis....

  4. #4
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    It's not to late to sign Matt Capps to a 4 year deal.

  5. #5
    Does that make Correia the Asian Carp option?

  6. #6
    Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Posts
    2,507
    Like
    80
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    25
    Add Marcum. Myers, Saunders or someone like that. If everyone were healthy it is Marcum Myers or Saunders, Correia, Diamond, Worley and Hendriks. While this rotation won't scare the Giants, it has decent placeholders until Gibson, Meyers, Berrios and May are ready and would give the club a shot to be around ,500 anyway.

  7. #7
    Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Posts
    1,632
    Like
    0
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    140
    Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    579
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    Myers is reportedly set to sign with the Cleveland Indians.
    I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

    I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.

  9. #9
    Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
    His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I can't wait to see how bad the Twins screwed up signing Kevin Correia for $10M for 2YR when the numbers come out for Brett Myers.

    I also read somewhere the Indians might be in talks with Arizona for Kubel.
    Kubel has been mentioned going several places. His pedestrian second half of the season may hurt his trade value. Rangers and Orioles have also come up in trade talks.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Terry Ryan is so old school & in over his head with the new wave of baseball/baseball execs
    His expertise in scouting/minor league player evaluation would be put to better use as an assistant GM type of role
    If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.

  12. #12
    Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Posts
    3,608
    Like
    798
    Liked 588 Times in 224 Posts
    You have to offer the money before someone can take it.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

  13. #13
    Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Posts
    1,754
    Like
    129
    Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
    An Indian.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    5,916
    Like
    41
    Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -

  15. #15
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,097
    Like
    367
    Liked 324 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    If it is as you say that Ryan's expertise is scouting then perhaps the problem is getting Pohlad to approve the contracts? If Ryan knows a good player when he sees one but can't sign him then the problem becomes the money. The money is Pohlad's.
    Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...

  16. #16
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    579
    Like
    8
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I'm ok with not signing Myers. He's just been moved around between starting and the BP so often. , and well, there's this: Boston Red Sox - Visiting player hit wife, police charge - The Boston Globe -
    Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

    So much for giving anyone a second chance ever?

  17. #17
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,251
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    According to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports, the Indians have reached a one-year contract with Brett Myers.

    The deal includes a club option for 2014. Myers, 32, had a solid 3.31 ERA, 1.22 WHIP and 41/15 K/BB ratio in 65 1/3 innings of relief last year between the Astros and White Sox. He'll return to starting duties with Cleveland and should carry value in mixed fantasy leagues.

  18. #18
    Can't wait to see the contract. In contest against who we signed for two years and one year, I hope they over[paid him for one year and the option. Otherwise.....

    Rebuilding. Just Say It!
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Really Seth? I expected more out of you than that. So the guy made a terrible mistake in 2006. Does that mean he goes out every night and assaults women?

    So much for giving anyone a second chance ever?
    Then there was the time they had to physically separate him and a reporter in Philadelphia. Third chance for anger management?

  20. #20
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,575
    Like
    7
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Someone else finally seeing the light? On our way to $50M for '15...
    There is a difference between paying someone what they are worth and way overpaying. The Pohlads for mediocre talent will not overpay. They put out the money for Pavano and Baker. They put out the money for Mauer and Morneau. They extend Doumit when he showed his value to this club. Please don't even begin to think that I share your view.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.