Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Connecticut School Shooting

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts

Connecticut School Shooting

Little kids? Wtf?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It would have been nice to see the gunman apprehended to face the punishment that he so rightfully deserved. Unfortunately (like so many of these other physcopaths) he took the cowardly way out.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    I heard it was a 24 year old, that went into his mom's classroom. Killed her and then started killing the kids in her class.
    How bad would someone life has to be to resort to something like this?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,500 Times in 785 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Everyone will deride him publicly and then rush home to watch television that examines every minutia of his life... feeding right into the reason why he did this. Fame. Publicity.

What I'd give to see every major news network treat him as a non-entity and never mention his name. Talk about the issue all you want but never mention this prick's name... not even once.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 303 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brock, I've heard that sentiment from plenty of people today, and after similar tragedies. But you're applying WAY too much rational thought to what might be the most irrational act a human can perform. This simply isn't something you can ignore and it will go away.

However, I'm totally on board with focusing less media attention on such tragedies*, as a means of respect for the victims and to avoid sowing unnecessary fear. I just know I'm going to get some sideways looks when I bring my infant daughter to the local playground during school hours now, and I'm sure schools are going to try to "beef up" security. But it's all going to have about as much effect as taking your shoes off at the airport.

* Although the fact that we're posting about it many miles away on a baseball forum suggests that we feed the media attention too, even if we don't feel like "that kind" of media junkie.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Maybe the Yankees will wear elementary baseball hats so we can ignore the gun problem again.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    Brock, I've heard that sentiment from plenty of people today, and after similar tragedies. But you're applying WAY too much rational thought to what might be the most irrational act a human can perform. This simply isn't something you can ignore and it will go away.

However, I'm totally on board with focusing less media attention on such tragedies*, as a means of respect for the victims and to avoid sowing unnecessary fear. I just know I'm going to get some sideways looks when I bring my infant daughter to the local playground during school hours now, and I'm sure schools are going to try to "beef up" security. But it's all going to have about as much effect as taking your shoes off at the airport.

* Although the fact that we're posting about it many miles away on a baseball forum suggests that we feed the media attention too, even if we don't feel like "that kind" of media junkie.
    I'm not talking about ignoring the tragedy or the mental health issues that caused it. I'm talking about ignoring the man that caused it.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Here is what I'm proud of - we're 6 posts in here at TD.....and no one has taken this issue as a way to grandstand about guns. It seems like every time this happens - a school shooting, the batman movie, etc. - one side of the other has to use this to hammer their agenda. Let's keep that **** the frig out of this please.

Couldn't agree with you more RP - these guys get all the fame and publicity they could ever hope for following these events. They become stars for a day in a sea of blood and it disgusts me. Hell, today, we had such a rush to name the shooter that the damn media is reporting the name of the brother as the shooter rather than the actual guy! Just so they can get the scoop on who slaughtered innocent children in a place they should feel is as safe as any in their lives.

I can't imagine what that would be like. I teach second grade in a K-3 school, even thinking about this happening there makes me so angry at everyone who will now exploit this problem for whatever agenda they have. It's absolutely disgusting.

My bad, gunnathor already brought us to that stupidity. Let's keep it at a one-time offense. These tragedies are far too often politicized.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    It's funny that people get up in arms (no pun intended) about guns after incidents like this and then don't blink about reducing the funding to mental health agencies...

I know, Lev, you wanted to avoid the gun topic, but being a mental health social worker, that's the thing that drives me bonkers as I was denied a raise based on the loss of federal funding for mental health agencies once again. I'm actively job searching because I can't afford to continue doing the job I do, and I don't pump my own abilities, but I work hard at helping consumers improve their well being along with building skills to maintain their stability. The folks that give a darn quickly find that giving a darn doesn't pay a bill, and they leave for something that will. I work in the unit of our agency that deals with those who are the most intense and nearest to permanent mental hospitalization, and our current case management staff of 8 has 4 with less than six months experience within this unit. There is only one case manager left from the day I started just over four years ago. With turnover like that so rampant and common, how can one imagine those with mental illness receiving consistent, excellent care that they so desperately need?
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    It's funny that people get up in arms (no pun intended) about guns after incidents like this and then don't blink about reducing the funding to mental health agencies...
    I think you and I have shared similar thoughts on this before ben, I know I've shared that I have worked in mental health before. (5 years of it actually, decided adolescent mental health was a less stressful thing to do while completing grad school. What the hell was I thinking!) But I hesitate to want to go down the mental health route on this one. Last night yahoo (credible journalism!) posted a horrific account of "what we know now" about this guy in which they very heavily implied that Aspergers was to blame and went on to cite growing autism numbers around the world. Not surprisingly, that article was edited to remove two paragraphs that were horribly innaccurate about that particular disorder, but the damage was already done. Just about any act like this would be easy to qualify someone for mental illness - I think it is a road we try to travel to quickly to help rationalize the horror to ourselves. I'm not sure now is the time for that issue either.

That said, I agree with your larger point. If there is one thing I learned in the years I worked mental health it's that the pay and stress of it pretty much leaves only people with mental health issues themselves in charge of care. Good people are few and far between.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know, it's just like when people got all political about the bridge collapse and said that we should spend more money on infrastructure.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,826 Times in 1,068 Posts
    People will rant about his for a while, then forget about it, except for those directly affected. And nothing will change, and nothing will get done, and nothing will improve because no one will agree on how to prevent it next time or want to spend tax dollars to implement anything that might help.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    I'm not talking about ignoring the tragedy or the mental health issues that caused it. I'm talking about ignoring the man that caused it.
    I get that -- but that's ascribing some really rational behavior to a lunatic. Nobody does this kind of thing just to get his name in the newspapers. Tip-toeing around his name isn't going to act as some kind of deterrent.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spycake View Post
    I get that -- but that's ascribing some really rational behavior to a lunatic. Nobody does this kind of thing just to get his name in the newspapers. Tip-toeing around his name isn't going to act as some kind of deterrent.
    It's not about tip-toeing around this particular man's name. It's about denying the people who do these terrible things something they certainly wanted: fame. Was this man mentally disturbed? Certainly, and we need to do a better job of identifying these warning signs.

I don't think it's any coincidence that these kinds of shootings have continued to escalate since the massive publicity of Columbine. If you're mentally unstable and considering such an act, knowing that your name will go down in the annals of history is only encouragement to one-up the horrible wretch who shot up a school/theatre/whatever before you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I don't think it's any coincidence that these kinds of shootings have continued to escalate since the massive publicity of Columbine. If you're mentally unstable and considering such an act, knowing that your name will go down in the annals of history is only encouragement to one-up the horrible wretch who shot up a school/theatre/whatever before you.
    The killers at Columbine were motivated, in part, by fame for their acts. Yet another tragedy happened when our media gave them that victory.

Senior Member All-Star
    Blog Entries
    Do you think if the media hadn't focused as much on Columbine or printed the name of the Virginia Tech shooter or whatever, that this kid in Connecticut may have just stayed home last Friday? You're missing the part of these being IMMENSELY irrational people and acts -- there are no easy answers. It doesn't really work to "put yourself in their shoes" so to speak and think these things through logically. There is absolutely no way that "fame" is the tipping point that causes these kind of acts.

Again, I'm all for less sensationalized coverage of this or any event, but let's not kid ourselves -- that's not going to help as a deterrant. It's just a matter of taste and etiquette for some of us, maybe/hopefully for the victims too, I don't know.

Liked 2,189 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    The killers at Columbine were motivated, in part, by fame for their acts. Yet another tragedy happened when our media gave them that victory.
    The Media gave them? You mean the people... you and me... right?

Any expectation that the media will stay away from something that the people are looking for is a wasted expectation. The Days of Kronkite are long gone and its because Kronkite wouldn't get high enough ratings today and that's because of the audience today and the increase In options.

How do you want your news? You can have it with a republican slant on Fox News or delivered with a democratic slant on MSNBC...

Both Fox and MSNBC are more entertainment than News these days and I don't see it coming back as long as The National Enquirer stays profitable and Celebrity Ghost Hunters is on the Travel Channel.

Whatever you see on Television is on television because that is what people watch. If no one watches it... It goes away fairly quickly.

If the theory that Fame is the motivating factor in these type of events is correct. It isn't the media that gives them fame. We all need to look in the mirror... It's you and me.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    If the theory that Fame is the motivating factor in these type of events is correct. It isn't the media that gives them fame. We all need to look in the mirror... It's you and me.
    It may be you but it ain't me.

I hate hate HATE tabloid journalism. I mean, I despise it to my very core. I do not read about celebrities. I do not read about tabloid court cases (Casey Anthony comes to mind). I won't read about this CT killer. I avoid this kind of thing as much as possible.

But you're right, this kind of tabloid news is only broadcast because the people like it. Drive around the Twin Cities and look at the billboards... How many "Dirty Every Thirty Celebrity News" signs do you see? I want to punch the people who watch that kind of **** straight in the face. Not joking. I absolutely loathe this part of American culture. It repulses me.

I view it as people who watch this kind of thing admitting that "My life is so inconsequential and boring that I have to feel better about myself by watching someone publicly fall to pieces, which somehow validates my existence... because I suck. I really, really suck as a person."

I don't hate much in this life but this is one of those things that I despise on so many levels.

Liked 2,189 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It may be you but it ain't me.

I hate hate HATE tabloid journalism. I mean, I despise it to my very core. I do not read about celebrities. I do not read about tabloid court cases (Casey Anthony comes to mind). I won't read about this CT killer. I avoid this kind of thing as much as possible.

But you're right, this kind of tabloid news is only broadcast because the people like it. Drive around the Twin Cities and look at the billboards... How many "Dirty Every Thirty Celebrity News" signs do you see? I want to punch the people who watch that kind of **** straight in the face. Not joking. I absolutely loathe this part of American culture. It repulses me.

I view it as people who watch this kind of thing admitting that "My life is so inconsequential and boring that I have to feel better about myself by watching someone publicly fall to pieces, which somehow validates my existence... because I suck. I really, really suck as a person."

I don't hate much in this life but this is one of those things that I despise on so many levels.
    I'm with ya... It's why I spend so much time watching Baseball...

However, avoiding publicity with this kind of tragedy is flat out impossible. Getting all these news organizations together and getting them to agree to avoid coverage for the greater good of society is impossible because someone isn't going to follow the script. Once one news organization decides to provide background information on the killer... Therefore, bringing him fame like he's the Joker or the Riddler... That news organization will have an advantage over the others because that's who the majority of folks will watch. Once an advantage is identified the others will be right behind because no one wants less viewers. It's why they don't dare leave the story. People want to know who this guy is... how he got to the point of doing this... They want to know when he did it and in what order... They want to know what he said to his mother before pulling the trigger.

The old question... Should executions be televised? Guess what... It's not a question of if... It's a question of when.

All it will take is one time. Fox News or MSNBC or the Food Network gets a wild idea... Approaches the state of Texas or Wyoming or the Phillipines and works out a deal. The state takes the money and allows the execution to be televised and the Ratings go thru the roof.

Once that happens... Other Networks will be competing for the right to broadcast the next one. The money will get larger with competition and pretty soon you have a public event and it will be promoted a week prior "The Beauchamp exection... Tuesday Night at 7PM... Only on AMC...

It sounds crazy to think about that... But... don't bet against it. A large portion of Americans would watch an execution.

If people watch... The money made from it increases because the competition for the rights will become important for any network that wants to make more money... And if money increases... It will be hard to stop. Anybody protesting such a Barbarian form of entertainment will be shouted down by the dollars and audience level.

It's only gonna get worse as the walls are chipped away at... But... We really can't blame the networks. It's what the people want.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 12-16-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast