Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TR regrets signing Correia already?

TR regrets signing Correia already?

Read an interesting yahoo sports article with comments from both Ryan and Correia:
    Kevin Correia, Twins finalize $10M, 2-year deal - Yahoo! Sports

Some things that made me question whether TR (BTW, why do people call him JR??? I've seen this for years and always questioned why.) really agreed with signing Correia:

After finalizing a $10 million, two-year contract with Kevin Correia on Thursday, general manager Terry Ryan acknowledged there's no guarantee the right-hander will strengthen the group.

Ryan raised the concern of Correia's adjustment to hitters he hasn't faced much, or at all, plus the addition of the designated hitter to opponent lineups in his transition between leagues.

Ryan also noted Correia's low strikeout figures, particularly in the last two years, realizing there's some risk in this investment.
    ''I'm not banking on big strikeout totals by him, because he is a big command guy,'' Ryan said.

I also will say Ryan was positive about Correia in the article too (mentioning he liked how Correia's numbers broke down and that the command thing explained his strikeouts as listed in the last quote above). Correia also addressed his lack of strikeouts and mentioned how wins were the most important.

Last funny point:

Last year, the Twins signed veteran right-hander Jason Marquis to be their fifth starter, but he stumbled badly, posting an 8.47 ERA in seven starts with nine home runs allowed in 34 innings. He was released. Ryan said he didn't care to compare Marquis and Correia.
    ''Sometimes the fit just wasn't meant to be, and I don't have an explanation for that,'' Ryan said. ''But when he left here and went to the Padres, he did fine.''

The big question of course is if Ryan already hints at not guaranteeing improvement to the rotation from Correia, why sign him? I know this has been discussed in other threads, but coming from Ryan just begs the question even more. Why sign him if you don't feel he's going to help? Maybe nobody else wants to sign here ... it could be more truthful than we could ever know.

Great article though. The most detailed article I've found on the Correia signing so far.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    He's being realistic, really. Think about some of the pitchers that were "guaranteed" to help over the past several years. Think the Mets GM, after getting Santana, would have gone back and said some platitude like there's-no-guarantees-in-baseball if he could?

I've said it before, and I might as well say it again. I doubt Correia makes the rotation much better. But I also doubt he makes it any worse, and that's an important distinction.
    Last edited by 70charger; 12-14-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    thanks for linking the article jcp.

I have a feeling that TR was afraid that like musical chairs, the music was eventually going to stop and he wouldn't have a chair. He wanted to make sure he got at least one pitcher. Probably not his first choice, but someone to fill a need. Still hope we have better signings to come.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If a pitcher is going to be around replacement level, wouldn't it be better if they were in the growth phase of their career path rather than the decline phase?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    It bugged me that Ryan quoted his win totals in another article.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Because he's honest... There is no guarantee... No guarantee that Hamilton will improve the Angels either. I'd be jumping on TR if he was saying that Correia was guaranteed to strengthen the group...

On second thought... I'd probably be on here defending him by saying I love the confidence or the way he is standing behind his players or something. I know who I am...

Seriously... Ryan has always been a straight shooter... I do appreciate that.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 627 Times in 242 Posts
    I don't know about JR, but I regretted it the instant it was reported.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

He signed him cause he was the only pitcher to agree to a deal at Ryans price.

Liked 1,131 Times in 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I doubt Correia makes the rotation much better. But I also doubt he makes it any worse, and that's an important distinction.
    Enlighten me...exactly what is the important distinction?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Enlighten me...exactly what is the important distinction?
    Good question.
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have yet to see Ryan directly ask and answer the worst thing about this move:

Why the extra year?
    If it was one year, fine who cares...but two?!?!? I am still befuddled.

Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe this is part of a master plan to get a high draft slot for the 2014 draft?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Maybe this is part of a master plan to get a high draft slot for the 2014 draft?
    I don't know that they need a plan to achieve that goal.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Reading the article, Ryan's quotes don't necessarily jive with the narrative the writer is going for. He basically said that he's not a strikeout pitcher and that he shouldn't have trouble adjusting to the new league.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    If we had to go with a ****ty Pirates pitcher I'd have rather had Karstens.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Padres are "strongly pursuing" Edwin Jackson.

While the Pads appear to be big fans of E-Jax, he might ultimately be out of their price range. Rosenthal says the market for Jackson is "strong," and the Padres "may bow out" if the right-hander gets 4-5 years at $12-13 million per season. The Rangers, Brewers, Angels and Indians are also known to have interest in Jackson, though Texas and Milwaukee prefer him on a short-term deal.
    Related: Padres

Source: Ken Rosenthal

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure the origins of JR go back to the ESPN boards. I'm sure Brock remembers the whole story. I think it has to do with dankind. Either way, I just do it as a habit now because I've been been doing it for years.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 339 Times in 225 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    I don't know that they need a plan to achieve that goal.
    Anyone yet skimmed the 2014 draft projections? What with the improvements being made by most of the Twins competition for the No. 1 pick, there's a strong argument that this might be the most productive use of Twins fans' time in 2013.

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Reading the article, Ryan's quotes don't necessarily jive with the narrative the writer is going for. He basically said that he's not a strikeout pitcher and that he shouldn't have trouble adjusting to the new league.
    the National Enquirer editors would read the article... The thesis from the OP... And then look at the title of the thread... And then say...

"c'mon... Really??? That title will blow your credibility... That's a bt of a stretch... Regrets??? Ryan being abducted by Aliens is less of a stretch. Take the Aliens route for a title of this thread".

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Of course he regrets it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast