Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TR regrets signing Correia already?

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,280 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Yeah, but I dig trashy :-)
    lol... There are many on Twins Daily that do... A "Tabloid" club could easily form and take on the "Apologist" club.

It could be Republican vs. Democrat and the dirty tricks, backroom deals and filibusters could rule the day.

Jeez... That... Really ain't that far off.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 121 Times in 87 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Was the EXACT same amount given to Blackburn 2 in 2014 as what Blackburn 1 is making in 2013 REALLY NECESSARY? Couldn't they mix it up any other way!?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom Boom View Post
    It seems to me that TR isn't really thrilled about Correia either. If the Twins need numbers, there's dozens of minor league free agents that can give De Vries, Walters, and Deduno a run for their money, and for much cheaper and virtually no commitment. With that approach, the Twins would have even more numbers and a better shot that somebody will stick.
    amen

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,281 Times in 1,747 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    Reading the article, Ryan's quotes don't necessarily jive with the narrative the writer is going for. He basically said that he's not a strikeout pitcher and that he shouldn't have trouble adjusting to the new league.
    This. I looked in vain for any further detail supporting the early paraphrase by the author that there's no guarantee. I'd want to see the exact question, and Ryan's exact answer, before inferring very much. It's very likely Terry was guided to talk a bit about the risks for this pitcher, he answered, and then it got slanted in a way that's pretty neutral to a neutral observer but a hot button to a Twins adherent. I don't think Campbell has it out for Ryan, but he didn't really do him any favors either.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    please take a moment to say a pray for the children and familys of Sandy Point

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Enlighten me...exactly what is the important distinction?
    If Correia can sit between 4.5 and 5.0 on the ERA scale, which I think is reasonably likely, he doesn't make the team worse.

If we give starts to Cole DeVries, who is a ticking time bomb, it's only a matter of time before his ERA balloons, maybe out to 6, 7, or 8. (Think Blackburn last year, or Marquis.)

If we give starts to Sam Deduno, the walks will catch up to him. His SSS performance last year isn't representative to what he can do longer-term, and Correia is certainly an upgrade.

If we keep giving starts to Deunsing, who admittedly is quite competent out of the pen, we can expect many more 5-run fourth innings.

If we keep giving starts to Swarzak, see above.

I'll take the likely possibility of an ERA between 4.5 and 5.0 over any of the other pitchers listed. Wouldn't you?

Liked 3,142 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    If Correia can sit between 4.5 and 5.0 on the ERA scale, which I think is reasonably likely, he doesn't make the team worse.

If we give starts to Cole DeVries, who is a ticking time bomb, it's only a matter of time before his ERA balloons, maybe out to 6, 7, or 8. (Think Blackburn last year, or Marquis.)

If we give starts to Sam Deduno, the walks will catch up to him. His SSS performance last year isn't representative to what he can do longer-term, and Correia is certainly an upgrade.

If we keep giving starts to Deunsing, who admittedly is quite competent out of the pen, we can expect many more 5-run fourth innings.

I'll take the likely possibility of an ERA between 4.5 and 5.0 over any of the other pitchers listed. Wouldn't you?
    I'm confused. Earlier you said he would neither make the team better, nor worse, which was somehow an "important distinction."

Now you seem to be saying he'll definately make the team better, by taking starts away from those you listed.

I'll ask again...what is the "important distinction" between not making the team better and not making it worse? And if he's not going to make it better, what do we care who he replaces in the rotation?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    On the bright side, the pitching staff cant get that much worse.. werent we second to last in the league in ERA?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    To pick up an ass-load of starting pitchers, at least one of whom is not awful. As a secondary deal, I can handle the Correia signing. Hell, Ryan doesn't even have to SIGN another pitcher. If he trades Willingham for a starter, I'm fine with that, too.

But you can't sign Kevin freakin' Correia, keep guys like Willingham/Morneau, and then say "good enough". You either go get a Jackson/Marcum/Dempster-type pitcher to complement Correia or you liquidate whatever assets you have to get pitching. While I'm patient with the front office, I'm not a fan of half-assing it in hopes of things just "working out". Choose a legitimate course of action and move toward it. I don't care what course of action that may be, just pick something.
    word. My biggest problem with this contract is the length: wanna roll the dice on Correia filling in the back of the rotation? Fine. But why give him a 2nd year? They still need to sign another pitcher, and one with a greater chance of success than Correia. They have the money to do so, if they can find a taker.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Article on the Twins MLB page says Correia is penciled in as our #4 pitcher. Who are the three in front of him? Diamond, Worley and who?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
    Diamond, Worley, Butera, Correia, Pitching Machine/Blackburn.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post

Deduno and Devries probably pitched above their talent level last year. Correia does not make the team worse because he is better than any of the replacements would be if they had to use them regularly. It is not a hard concept.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Article on the Twins MLB page says Correia is penciled in as our #4 pitcher. Who are the three in front of him? Diamond, Worley and who?
    Blackburn. The Twins studied Parker Hagerman's video he posted and will fix his delivery. He will become the pitcher they signed him to be. Marcum will sign a fair market contract to pitch here. Edwin Jackson will be influenced by Marcum's signing and sign here.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    I'm confused. Earlier you said he would neither make the team better, nor worse, which was somehow an "important distinction."

Now you seem to be saying he'll definately make the team better, by taking starts away from those you listed.

I'll ask again...what is the "important distinction" between not making the team better and not making it worse? And if he's not going to make it better, what do we care who he replaces in the rotation?
    I think you've misinterpreted me, perhaps because I left out the part about how (and this is my opinion, so feel free to discount) Deduno, Devries, et al. pitched above their long-term ability last year. In the small sample size we had from them, they actually did pretty well. Throw them out there next year for 30 starts? It'll be a complete and total disaster. That is what makes the team worse.

What makes the team not worse is signing Correia, who is perfectly capable of pitching consistently at the 4.5/5.0 ERA level. Correia keeps the team at the 90-100 loss threshold. Trotting out Deduno, Devries, and Duensing for 90 starts next year puts us at 110 losses minimum.

That's an important distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    Deduno and Devries probably pitched above their talent level last year. Correia does not make the team worse because he is better than any of the replacements would be if they had to use them regularly. It is not a hard concept.
    This is pretty much what I'm saying, yes.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 75 Times in 42 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this is a good signing. I'm not sure why everyone is blowing up about it. Sure, he's nothing special, but at least he is an MLB caliber pitcher and will give the Twins some decent starts. For what they are paying him, he is a pretty good deal.
    Do or do not. There is no try.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I won't go that far as to say Correia is better. I think some of the young guys could improve alot. Who know's if Correia can even make the team?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Who know's about Worley, he could pull a Baker. Scott is about the only pitcher we got and who can say he will improve. It's a real sorry state we are in, but we can hope. It's early yet, maybe Ryan can still get us a pitcher or two. WE need a awful lot. No one can pitch 200 innings or even go 7. We can't wait forever It's time to sign them up. We can hope till the losing begins.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123