Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TR regrets signing Correia already?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Of course he regrets it.
    I'm choosing to take the optimist's tack on this trade and hope that Ryan forsees the Maholm flip of 2012 in Kevin Correia in 2013.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Of course he regrets it.
    I would imagine that buyers remorse and dealing with it would be a major part of a GM's job.

Just like... "we... us..." regular citizens go thru when we a buy a car. You can second guess yourself for awhile. Did I get the right one??? Did I pay too much??? If I waited longer could I have gotten a better deal???

I don't think the kind of buyers remorse that I am referring to... Is what you or the OP means buy "regrets" or "regrets already".

"Having regrets already" in the context presented is kinda trashy.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 568 Times in 372 Posts
    Regrets or not, those are not words to fire up the fanbase with excitement.....

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    TR was just glibly metaphorizing on Purses 'n Ears mixed in with Silk and Purses.....

this is what some on this board call Ryan's refreshing tell-it-like-it-is honesty.

You think he regrets it now wait until midway through the season and he has a 5+ era

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I don't think Terry Ryan is the guy you send forward to face the public... If you are trying to fire up your fan base.

Terry would be matter of fact straight forward as he told you about winning the lottery or the birth of his children.

If you want to rev up your fan base... I don't know if the Twins have that guy. TC Bear or the Fox North Girls maybe.

I suppose will hear the new talking point of the Twins he's an innings eater. How about a quality pitcher? Is that to much to ask for?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Lowering expectations.

It's the Twins' way.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I don't think Terry Ryan is the guy you send forward to face the public... If you are trying to fire up your fan base.

Terry would be matter of fact straight forward as he told you about winning the lottery or the birth of his children.

If you want to rev up your fan base... I don't know if the Twins have that guy. .
    Wait! You mean St Peter and St Antony don't do that for you? This is looking more and more like a year to revive: "

The MN Twins...Get to Know 'Em (before we trade 'em, cut 'em or demote 'em)!"

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oddly enough, this gives me a bit of faith in JR. He knows Correia isn't a very good pitcher but had to sign somebody because the Twins need pitchers and lots of 'em. At least we know that Ryan doesn't have unreasonable expectations for Correia in that he's going to be some kind of savior in the rotation.

Which hopefully means that he's still pursuing one of the better pitchers left on the market.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I would imagine that buyers remorse and dealing with it would be a major part of a GM's job.

Just like... "we... us..." regular citizens go thru when we a buy a car. You can second guess yourself for awhile. Did I get the right one??? Did I pay too much??? If I waited longer could I have gotten a better deal???

I don't think the kind of buyers remorse that I am referring to... Is what you or the OP means buy "regrets" or "regrets already".

"Having regrets already" in the context presented is kinda trashy.
    Yeah, but I dig trashy :-)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Which hopefully means that he's still pursuing one of the better pitchers left on the market.
    Marcum is about it any more. And would he come to MN? Can only hope.

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    It seems more and more likely to me that Correia IS the big FA splash.

i hope I'm wrong. But I'm never wrong. Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Today's article in the Strib more accurately, I think, sums up what TR is going for:
    "The Twins, said Terry Ryan, "need competition. We need numbers and we need choices.""

So if he can't get quality, he's going for quantity -- and hoping that someone will rise above mediocrity.

Correia expected to offer stability to Twins' staff | StarTribune.com

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Oddly enough, this gives me a bit of faith in JR. He knows Correia isn't a very good pitcher but had to sign somebody because the Twins need pitchers and lots of 'em. At least we know that Ryan doesn't have unreasonable expectations for Correia in that he's going to be some kind of savior in the rotation.

I still think they should have claimed Jason Vargas last August and probably gotten him, at worst, for a B level hitting prospect. He's still cheap ($4.85M in 2012 and going into arb, but would sure look a heck of a lot better in that rotation than Correia, and be far, far cheaper than what it's going to cost now to get one of the mid-level remaining FA SPs.
    Last edited by jokin; 12-14-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I still think they should have claimed Jason Vargas last August and probably gotten him, at worst, for a B level hitting prospect. He's still cheap ($4.85M in 2012 and going into arb, but would sure look a heck of a lot better in that rotation than Correia, and be far, far cheaper than what it's going to cost now to get one of the mid-level remaining FA SPs.
    Don't get me wrong, I still don't like the Correia signing... But if it's part of a bigger plan to solidify the rotation, I can swallow it.

Liked 3,187 Times in 1,365 Posts
    Don't get me wrong, I still don't like the Correia signing... But if it's part of a bigger plan to solidify the rotation, I can swallow it.
    Pray tell, what is that bigger plan?

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Pray tell, what is that bigger plan?
    To pick up an ass-load of starting pitchers, at least one of whom is not awful. As a secondary deal, I can handle the Correia signing. Hell, Ryan doesn't even have to SIGN another pitcher. If he trades Willingham for a starter, I'm fine with that, too.

But you can't sign Kevin freakin' Correia, keep guys like Willingham/Morneau, and then say "good enough". You either go get a Jackson/Marcum/Dempster-type pitcher to complement Correia or you liquidate whatever assets you have to get pitching. While I'm patient with the front office, I'm not a fan of half-assing it in hopes of things just "working out". Choose a legitimate course of action and move toward it. I don't care what course of action that may be, just pick something.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phalvorson View Post
    Today's article in the Strib more accurately, I think, sums up what TR is going for:
    "The Twins, said Terry Ryan, "need competition. We need numbers and we need choices.""

So if he can't get quality, he's going for quantity -- and hoping that someone will rise above mediocrity.

Correia expected to offer stability to Twins' staff | StarTribune.com
    It seems to me that TR isn't really thrilled about Correia either. If the Twins need numbers, there's dozens of minor league free agents that can give De Vries, Walters, and Deduno a run for their money, and for much cheaper and virtually no commitment. With that approach, the Twins would have even more numbers and a better shot that somebody will stick.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think this signing speaks volumes of what TR thinks of the pitchers (outside of Diamond) who started for the Twins last year. This is a large group that will move up and down between Minnesota and Rochester. Get those frequent flyer miles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast