Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Willingham+Justin Morneau for Mike Olt

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts

Josh Willingham+Justin Morneau for Mike Olt

Boom. Do it.

Why would they want to do that? They being Texas.

Desperation.

They need bats, now that they don't have Hamilton or Upton a guy like Willigham would slot in perfectly in that ball park.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    That's not a totally insane trade idea. Morneau would do great in Texas and they need a first baseman. And Willingham would obviously be a good fit. Olt's a good prospect but not without concerns, mainly his defense.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    That's not a totally insane trade idea. Morneau would do great in Texas and they need a first baseman. And Willingham would obviously be a good fit. Olt's a good prospect but not without concerns, mainly his defense.
    If there are defensive concerns then this trade will never happen. Defensive concerns won't work with your fundamentally sound MN Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    If there are defensive concerns then this trade will never happen. Defensive concerns won't work with your fundamentally sound MN Twins.
    There are no defensive concerns with Olt. Scouting Report: Mike Olt (3B) | Baseball Prospect Nation

No chance Texas would make this trade.

Senior Member Double-A SgtSchmidt11's Avatar
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Swanson View Post
    There are no defensive concerns with Olt. Scouting Report: Mike Olt (3B) | Baseball Prospect Nation

And here I am thinking that the Twins should at least get a second piece of some kind in this deal...

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Brad Swanson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Bridman77
    Liked 56 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I should say that the deal isn't really unfair, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Texas. If they really want to trade Olt, they probably can get a better deal. Olt also could just play first for Texas.

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Straight up for Olt - Hecks Nah. Straight up for Profar - Hecks Yah, but that's not going to happen.

Since the Twins will most probably be dragging their knuckles on the cellar floor next season - it is best to give Plouffe a solid final look over at the hot corner in 2013, even though most people on this site think he is destined for failure - whats the worst thing that can happen? An error he commits loses the Twins a game. I believe the game(s) he loses for the Twins will be lost in a sea of losses caused by embarrassing awful starting pitching.

I should say that the deal isn't really unfair, it just doesn't make a lot of sense for Texas. If they really want to trade Olt, they probably can get a better deal. Olt also could just play first for Texas.
    yeah it would prob take another piece from the Twins...maybe? I dunno though, Olt is a very nice prospect but is more in the 15-20 range then the top 5 range IMO.

Didn't they try to get Upton for Olt and the Diamondbacks declined? (I could be totally wrong on this)

I also think Morneau brings some value to the plate as well for them, and you never know....teams do tend to do silly things sometimes when a rival goes out and makes a huge splash.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,513 Times in 792 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    teams do tend to do silly things sometimes when a rival goes out and makes a huge splash.
    See Revere, Ben and Phillies, Philadelphia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts

Yep, you're right. My bad.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think I've ever agreed with Dave on something like this, but man I would love that trade. Olt to 3rd, Plouffe to 2nd......give them Dozier if they want a third piece....this also would provide protection from Sano's likely move to first, frees up Parmalee out of lost ville (population 1) and for the craps of it, bring up Arcia and Hicks when the timing is right to keep them under control longer.

--> And this is why this would never happen.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be more inclined to go after Perez... even if Olt is considered the better prospect.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    I'd be interested but average fan backlash could be quite vicious. It would be hard to argue attendance wouldn't take a large hit losing those two. You also don't often see two established vets moved for one prospect. I'm interested but it would take guts to make that move. Even if Ryan had it in him, this is the kind of move that could get vetoed by ownership due to short-sighted attendance concerns.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Short sighted? How are attendance concerns not relevant at all? That said, I would consider the trade, because it isn't my reputation and money on the line....

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 53 Times in 21 Posts
    Blog Entries
    River...you're supposed to agree with me, to prove the Forks stand united.

This trade makes no sense – for the Twins. A) We're looking for pitching. B) Why trade our last two pieces of any value for someone who may be a flash in the pan? I'm sorry, but I don't see this happening. And C) Plouffe is not going to second base. Maybe to OF, but not 2B.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtSchmidt11 View Post
    And here I am thinking that the Twins should at least get a second piece of some kind in this deal...
    I dont think the Rangers would make this trade, but I do believe that it would be a fair trade, and I dont think youre too far off to say the Twins maybe should get a lower level pitching prospect with moderate upside.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Although I like the idea. Corner infield power isn't really a problem right now. With Plouffe, Morneau and Parmelee. Along with possibly Sano, Vargas and Harrison in the future.

With the Mariners missing out on Hamilton, my hope is that they also miss out on Swisher and become desperate for that power bat they've been seeking. That's when we jump in with Willingham, and look for a package similar to the Revere deal. Maybe a return of Brandon Maurer and Hector Noesi

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast