Punto could be coming back!!!

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Let's hope not.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
    I never liked Punto.

I think he'd be better than Florimon, though...

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    How's his defense grade out now? He was a very good defender when he was with us. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    I'd love to see Punto back in a Twins uniform. The minute we got rid of that scrappy son of a bitch our team went to ****.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Florimon will be better in 2013 than Nick Punto in 2013.

Let's hope Gardy doesn't get his hands back on Punto, probably hasn't slept since the guy left.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 206 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I know we're still upset about LNP getting thrown out over-running third base... but you have to reach base to get thrown out at third. I'm not convinced Florimon can do that.

That's not to say I want Punto back. I'd rather not have either of them.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,831 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    I wouldn't bet on that.

Not saying I want Punto back, but I'm not certain he'd be worse than what we have.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) new 2013 statistical analysis has been released. Now, when it comes to Punto, some numbers are alarming, which shouldn't be a surprise given his age. First concern: his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are taller than 6-3 has dropped by a 1/4 each year for the last three years. Oddly, his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are between 6-6 and 6-9 has gone up, go figure. Second concern: his dive into first base is, again according to MIT, 1/84 of a second slower than it was in 1999. To me, that's a massive red flag. However, in his defense, the Weather Channel's Hitting In All Conditions (HIAC) 2013 guide has also been released. HIAC notes Punto was a 17 in 2010, a 20 in 2011, and a 22 in 2012. Those numbers blow me away, as I'm sure they blow all of you away. I'm also sure some knucklehead will look at those HIAC numbers and scream "Steroids!" but we all know Punto isn't that kind of guy. In the last analysis, the HIAC numbers out weight the concerns the MIT stats raise. I say bring him back with a modest and team-friendly two-year deal.
    Last edited by TK10; 12-13-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While it may be totally coincidental, Dave is right. The Twins team WITH Punto had a combined .545 winning pct over 7 years, and only one season below .500. Since he left, our win pct has been .398. Pretty drastic drop.

Personally, I liked the guy. He seemed like a class act, willing to take whatever role the team the gave him, never once (that I recall) publicly complained about bouncing around or moving between starter and backup. His offense wasn't great, but he was always a very solid defender, regardless of his position.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    "Might" be coincidental?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,510 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins have Butera on the roster. I already have one player I irrationally (or rationally, really) hate. I don't need two of those guys.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tolbert, Casilla, Nishioka, Plouffe, Escobar, Carroll, Dozier, Florimon. These are the guys that have played SS in the last two years. Carroll and Plouffe are the only two that have had better offensive stats than Punto in his time with the Twins, and Plouffe gave up 11 errors in 45 games at short.

His departure wasn't directly the cause of our rapid decline, but if we'd had him to cover SS the last two years (especially 2011) it could only have helped.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    I don't have any sort of hate for Punto, but it sort of brings up the question of what other players are out there that the Twins could bring in (cheaply) to add some depth and flexibility. I really think they need some extra depth in one or two spots. If Punto is the best there is, then I'd be totally fine bringing him back. Here are the other options, as I see it:

Poor 2b & corner utility guys, could hit lefties:
    - Ryan Raburn, Jeff Baker, Ty Wigginton, Bill Hall

Mediocre infielders, not outfielders:
    - Placido Polanco, Freddy Sanchez, Ronny Cedeno, Adam Kennedy (I'm left handed!)

Just corner guys, probably can't hit anyone:
    - Casey McGehee, Don Kelly, Mark DeRosa

Ultra flexible...has played corners, CF and MI
    - Chone Figgins

I didn't expect much, but there's more to like there than I thought. I could see useful (if limited) roles for half of those guys. The Twins could use a MI, someone to provide depth at 3b, a backup corner OF.

If I could only shop from this list, I think I'd try to sign Raburn and Sanchez.. If they aren't interested, I'd go with Baker and Polanco or Cedeno or Punto. At worst, Raburn is an ok platoon outfielder/DH. He fits well with our lefty heavy 1b/LF/DH situation and can play 2b or 3b well enough to let them carry one less IF. At best, he could start often in the OF or 2b. Baker is Raburn-lite.

Sanchez likely is broken beyond repair, but if he can come back, he can be an above average 2b. Cedeno, Polanco, and Punto aren't embarassing IFs and allow the Twins to field a team if no AAA player deserves job. I'm really sick of infielders that can't cut it at AAA playing for the Twins.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If we got Los Angles Figgins instead of Seattle Figgins, I'd go for it. Otherwise, I'd rather we focus on someone who can cover short rather than 2b.

Liked 2,201 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TK10 View Post
    The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's (MIT) new 2013 statistical analysis has been released. Now, when it comes to Punto, some numbers are alarming, which shouldn't be a surprise given his age. First concern: his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are taller than 6-3 has dropped by a 1/4 each year for the last three years. Oddly, his ability to hit breaking balls from left handed pitchers who are between 6-6 and 6-9 has gone up, go figure. Second concern: his dive into first base is, again according to MIT, 1/84 of a second slower than it was in 1999. To me, that's a massive red flag. However, in his defense, the Weather Channel's Hitting In All Conditions (HIAC) 2013 guide has also been released. HIAC notes Punto was a 17 in 2010, a 20 in 2011, and a 22 in 2012. Those numbers blow me away, as I'm sure they blow all of you away. I'm also sure some knucklehead will look at those HIAC numbers and scream "Steroids!" but we all know Punto isn't that kind of guy. In the last analysis, the HIAC numbers out weight the concerns the MIT stats raise. I say bring him back with a modest and team-friendly two-year deal.
    ROTFLMAO... plus plus plus.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Rather then pursue LNP wouldnt we be better off adding a piece to the puzzle that is our future?
    With the angels apperently signing Josh Hamilton,wouldnt trading for Mark Trumbo to replace Justin Morneau?

Who the @#%$% do you trade to bring in Trumbo?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    Who the @#%$% do you trade to bring in Trumbo?
    Punto! The trick is getting Punto so you can flip him.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast