Thread: More Minor League Signings

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

More Minor League Signings

FSN's Tyler Mason tweeted that the Twins announced some more minor league signings:

"#MNTwins announce they've signed the following players to minor league deals: RHP Scott Elarton, LHP Michael O'Connor, LHP Jason Lane, RHP Virgil Vasquez, 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez, OF Brandon Boggs, RHP Bryan Augenstein and SS Ray Olmedo."

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Please let there be 1 (pleasant) unexpected surprise in that group!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 194 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    FSN's Tyler Mason tweeted that the Twins announced some more minor league signings:

"#MNTwins announce they've signed the following players to minor league deals: RHP Scott Elarton, LHP Michael O'Connor, LHP Jason Lane, RHP Virgil Vasquez, 1B Reynaldo Rodriguez, OF Brandon Boggs, RHP Bryan Augenstein and SS Ray Olmedo."
    I didn't realize Jason Lane had moved to the mound. Looks like the same power hitter that used to play for Houston.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Not a sigle aaaa player. Meet the reserves for the Red Wings.

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I could see Brandon Boggs getting plenty of play in CF in the spring. In his minor league career, he's played more CF than the other positions. In his big league years, he's played more in the corners.

Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post

I didn't realize Jason Lane had moved to the mound. Looks like the same power hitter that used to play for Houston.
    Yes, this is the same Jason Lane. During an interview last week on Reusse and Mackey on 1500, Ryan mentioned that Lane pitched for Gary Gaetti's Independent League team and Gaetti kept on recommending him. Ryan said, what the heck, let's sign him. It sounds like Lane can throw hard, but is 35 if I remember correctly.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Puck, he is indeed 35, and he was indeed recommended to the Twins by Gaetti. The thing I am wondering is if he is a relief pitcher or a starter?

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Puck, he is indeed 35, and he was indeed recommended to the Twins by Gaetti. The thing I am wondering is if he is a relief pitcher or a starter?
    I think a relief pitcher based on what Ryan said in the interview, but am not totally sure.

I like the Bryan Augenstein signing.. he was a good prospect for the DBacks awhile back.

Olmedo fits right in with the rest of the Twins MI, though I don't know if he can field - in just over 480 Major League ABs he's managed to hit .230 with a .566 OPS. He spent some time with White Sox last year, but he's been playing in AAA most of the last 10 years. Probably just organizational filler at this point. Hopefully he doesn't show signs of hustle in spring training causing Gardenhire to name him the starting shortstop.

Brandon Boggs is interesting. Is this the same Scott Elarton from mid 90's Houston Astros?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    I could see Brandon Boggs getting plenty of play in CF in the spring. In his minor league career, he's played more CF than the other positions. In his big league years, he's played more in the corners.
    I really hope the reason Boggs plays a lot is because Benson, Hicks and Arcia were playing too well to be inRochester.

Liked 52 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickenStew View Post
    Brandon Boggs is interesting. Is this the same Scott Elarton from mid 90's Houston Astros?
    That's him.

This is a pretty good article about him. Scott Elarton enjoys healthy season. - Morning Call The title of the article is "Healthy season leads Elarton to ponder future." I don't know why the address says "shoulder-strain" - possibly left over from every other Elarton article ever written.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    I like the Bryan Augenstein signing.. he was a good prospect for the DBacks awhile back.
    Yeah, he could be a sleeper and help out the pen. Still fairly young.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I saw a recent depth chart that had (0) outfielders on the Twins AA at this point. I recognize that guys move up at each level, but did all the AA guys go to 40 man roster. AAA had 3 still on roster; High A had 6 still on roster; Low A had 4 still on roster; and High Rookie had 7 still on roster; Not sure about Low Rookie?; My question is how do you see these outfields panning out come April? Is that unusal to have (0) outfielders in AA at this point of the year? How does spring training work out at this rate?

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    I saw a recent depth chart that had (0) outfielders on the Twins AA at this point. I recognize that guys move up at each level, but did all the AA guys go to 40 man roster. AAA had 3 still on roster; High A had 6 still on roster; Low A had 4 still on roster; and High Rookie had 7 still on roster; Not sure about Low Rookie?; My question is how do you see these outfields panning out come April? Is that unusal to have (0) outfielders in AA at this point of the year? How does spring training work out at this rate?
    CR Opening day should be
    Walker/Jimenez splitting time in Right
    Kepler in Left
    maybe.....just maybe Buxton starts in CF to start, but I think he will be in Ex ST. till mid-late May
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot789 View Post
    Hicks may be with the Twins, if not, in AAA. Arcia, Benson, Bigley, Ramirez/Boggs loser (winner with the Twins if not Hicks), and Thomas join him.

Danny Ortiz and Angel Morales may get promoted to AA. Morales doesn't deserve it, but he could get his groove back playing in New Britain. The Twins might need to do the same with J.D. Williams and send him up to Fort Myers. It's a logjam.

Here's a nice going-into-2013 overview of the Twins minor league prospects........ 2013 Minnesota Twins Roster - Majors View
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 49 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    Here's a nice going-into-2013 overview of the Twins minor league prospects........ 2013 Minnesota Twins Roster - Majors View
    That is helpful. There looks to be some cleaning up of players no longer in the organization from Fort Myers down, but this is very helpful.

Try to keep up-to-date as hear about releases and such. Will up-date actual team assignments at the close of spring training (Cedar Rapids Kernels now instead of Beloit). Tend to just follow A ball and up here.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com