Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Heart Breaking Twins loss ever?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts

Most Heart Breaking Twins loss ever?

I really can't think of anything that I would consider on par with some of the Vikings losses in recent memory. To me Game 163 in 2008 was a great game, but not heart breaking. The closest I can think of Game 2 in 2004. Maybe in retrospect the Eric Fox game?
    What does everyone else think?

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,845 Times in 1,076 Posts
    Game 7, 1965 World Series

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Tom Brunansky lost for Tommy Herr.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 56 Times in 45 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Twins abilty to find Pitching talent on the FA market We just lost again to ourselves. Heartbreaking.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts

Liked 3,028 Times in 1,291 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Yup. One broken 7-year- old heart for sure.
    From your photo I would have guessed you to be a much younger woman.
    You'd be wrong on both counts.

I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    When they lost the last two games against the Red Sox in 67 and missed the World Series.
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    My two votes have already been mentioned. ALDS Game 2 in 2004 and the ALDS game in 2006 against the A's with Kotsay's inside the park homer. I was at the A's game and you could just feel the Dome deflate. I knew it was over then.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts
    Already been mentioned, but that 2008 tiebreaker was pretty heartbreaking. Blackburn actually pitched a hell of a game there; Thome home run was the deciding factor.

Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium

I remember it like it was yesterday.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssuperdave View Post
    I'm sure this isn't the most heartbreaking one, but I'll never forget May 17, 2002. I was in college at the time and had stayed up way too late watching this game...

The Twins were playing the Yankees in New York and were down 8 to 3 after 5 innings. They came back with 6 runs in the 6th to take a 9-8 lead through a pirhanna-like combo of singles, doubles, and sacrifice flies. Then in the bottom of the 9th Bernie William hit a homerun off Eddie Guardado to tie it at 9. That was heartbreaking enough but was just a taste of what was to come.

The game went into extra innings and there was no scoring until the 14th, but the Yankees left the bases loaded in both the 11th and the 13th. Then in the 14th inning the Twins broke through with three runs. I remember thinking I would finally get to go to bed with a Twins win. But, the Twins had used up all their relievers and had only Mike Trombley left, who was clinging on to the end of his career. He came in for the bottom of the 14th and promptly gave up 2 singles and a walk, followed by a grand slam by Jason Giambi. Just like that, after 14 innings, the Yankees won.

I remember the look on Trombley's face as Gimabi rounded the bases - it was like he was disoriented, in too much shock to even be frustrated, just dazed and confused at what just happened. He had a couple more garbage-time outings but was released at the end of the month and his career was over. Pretty sad ending to a workman-like career.
    You just opened up some old emotional wounds with that.
    Mastermind of the "Free Bert" sign.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Dont remember what year, thinking 1993. Eric Fox hits a 3 run HR off of Rick Aguilera. A's went on to win the division and sent the twins into an era of putrid baseball

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,201 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    Twins were tied for the AL West lead only a few days prior and were still in the race on 9/28/1984 when this happened:

Box Score of Game played on Friday, September 28, 1984 at Cleveland Stadium

I remember it like it was yesterday.
    Is that the one where Gaetti said afterward in self-reproach, "it's pretty tough to play this game with both hands wrapped around your throat"?

Or the one where Ron Davis cried?

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 361 Times in 183 Posts
    2009 game 2 ALDS. Was there in person, I actually thought we had that game won. ugggghhhhhh

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pick any game that we've played the Yankees.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Game 3, 2009 ALDS vs. Yankees (last game in Dome). Twins were on a roll, ready to take the lead when this happened:

Screen shot 2012-12-12 at 7.00.01 PM.jpg

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    the 1st game of 2013.....gardy is still here

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I remember almost all of these and am now calling my doctor to ask for some antidepressant medication.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast