Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Twins history of free agent starting pitcher acquisitions

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    At 2 years, $26.5M per MLB Trade Rumors, this changes some assumptions about length of contract and a preference for an NL team and/or spring training in Arizona instead of Florida. Suppose the Twins would have had to offer more, since they are a cellar-dweller, and maybe offer $28M. Would that have changed anyone's view on signing Dempster? What if you had to further sweeten the deal with a vesting (player's) option for a third year at another $14M?

Me, I'd have given it a lot of consideration. I'm aiming for 2015 as the start of the full-contention window, needing to get through the next two years with fill-ins. If Dempster pitches well enough to vest that third year, maybe it's still all right. $14M isn't ace-money in this day and age. It was the presumption of a guaranteed third year that was the showstopper for me.

Maybe $14M still isn't enough to lure him to the Twin Cities though; Terry Ryan can't give away his money, right?
    I'm not sure...I'm not a big Dempster fan...but it seems like some view him currently better than Marcum and Jackson. If that's the prevailing thought, we should have a chance to sign one of those two for cheaper than what Dempster just got.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 321 Times in 203 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Dempster today is the same age (35) as Tewksbury when he signed with the Twins for 1997. They were both all-stars at age 31. They both were very durable from ages 31-35. Dempster is the better pitcher over that span (114 ERA+ to 103), of course, but Dempster will be making 4 times the league average salary (plus a guaranteed second year), versus 1.5 times for Tewksbury.

Maybe pitching is more expensive? Still doesn't excuse the Twins wasting money on Correia, but it is interesting.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,302 Times in 1,753 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    I'm not sure...I'm not a big Dempster fan...but it seems like some view him currently better than Marcum and Jackson. If that's the prevailing thought, we should have a chance to sign one of those two for cheaper than what Dempster just got.
    Nick started a full thread elsewhere, so probably further responses should be directed there.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 378 Times in 232 Posts
    Boston is also a cellar-dweller, of course there is a league-wide perception that they will take the necessary steps to rectify that issue to reverse course asap.

Liked 2,296 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll take option three...not giving a carp what you think.
    How long have you two been a married couple? (I now duck behind something).

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    I'll take option three...not giving a carp what you think.
    The usual kind of response when someone is pointed out to be lacking knowledge and the ability to think.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    The usual kind of response when someone is pointed out to be lacking knowledge and the ability to think.
    No, that's not really what happened. You just believe everyone who presents an opinion on a topic that differs from yours is wrong and then, like a child, you take shots at the poster himself. You haven't proven anything I've written during our recent 'debates' as false....except in your mind.

But if you wanna think that sure...whatever you say.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-14-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    No, that's not really what happened. You just believe everyone who presents an opinion on a topic that differs from yours is wrong and then, like a child, you take shots at the poster himself. You haven't proven anything I've written during our recent 'debates' as false....except in your mind.

But if you wanna think that sure...whatever you say.
    You posted the Twins should have signed a FA pitcher before 2011. Gave you the 2010 records. You never responded who they should have signed who was rated better than Pavano at that time. Given the last thread where it appeared you posted bull, I called you on this piece of bull.. For that I get this post. Have a good day and quit before we are told to take a vacation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12