Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: What about Brian Wilson?

What about Brian Wilson?

I know the Twins bullpen is not a major weakness at this point, when it comes to depth at least, but what about taking a shot with Brian Wilson on a low base, high incentives contract? This could be a great buy low, sell high opportunity. I feel that the Minnesota fans would also love his antics and he could possibly sell some tickets.

This is all dependent on him being realistic and realizing he is not going to make top closer money though, which is why it probably isn't a possibility.

The Twins don't have a ton of money sitting around to throw at a closer, but this move could realistically maximize the value of other pitchers in the bullpen by moving them back an inning. Putting Wilson at closer moves Burton and Perkins into more comfortable roles and really makes the back end of the bullpen rock solid if Wilson produces. If anything, it takes some of the workload off of Burton and Perkins, because this pen is looking like it is going to get a ton of work again this year.
    I'll Denard your Span.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Wilson would be a nice addition, but not as a guaranteed closer. I'd let Perkins start off as the closer, with Wilson and Burton being our late inning guys, with Wilson being ready to step up if Perk struggles. Really though, whoever closes, those three guys would make a helluva back end to the rotation, and make it A LOT easier for us to stick with a 12-man pitching staff. Plus, any of those three becomes a valuable trading chip at the deadline (assuming they perform up to form), wether it's to stock up for 2014 or add another solid bat to push into the playoffs.

From a PR standpoint, between him and Perdomo we could have some fantastic beard-related promos and giveaways

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    I would take him too. I would rather have him start as a setup man with some opportunities to close. If you need to flip him at the deadline, you should be able to. The Royals did the same thing with Broxton.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Wilson has stated he wanted to close. That probably will rule him out here, but good idea to sign him(if Possible) and flip him at the deadline if the Twins are out of it.

Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 3,306 Times in 1,754 Posts
    Blog Entries
    > This is all dependent on him being realistic and realizing he is not going to make top closer money though

Someone will pay the man. And I don't see Terry Ryan shelling out for a reliever when he's still trying to patch the starting rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Wilson will barely be ready to pitch opening day just like Baker and he's probably going to get similar money. I can see spending that money on Baker but spending it on Wilson makes less sense. It would be better sense than spending it on a guy like Correia though.

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Brian Wilson is way way to individual to make his home in the Twins clubhouse. Personally, I love his humor and antics. I don't really see it a match for the manager that has not been able to stomach minor personality manifestations from the likes of a Garza and Loshe. Brian Wilson would blow his head apart.
    Brian Wilson's Neighbor - The Machine - YouTube
    Last edited by h2oface; 12-12-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Rafael Soriano has proven that closers may not be able to expect top dollar anymore, and situations like Heath Bell have likely tempered the market. It may not cost as much as you might think.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by E. Andrew View Post
    I think Rafael Soriano has proven that closers may not be able to expect top dollar anymore, and situations like Heath Bell have likely tempered the market. It may not cost as much as you might think.
    Comparables - neither signed as closer

Ryan Madson - 3.5M plus 3.5M in incentives based on games and days on active roster (not the DL)
    Joakim Soria - 2/8M

Wilson likes his buffoon act too much. He's not likely to be very effective this year which will make his buffoonery grating rather than endearing. He's a pass. Soriano, on the other hand, if he's willing to swallow the crow whole and be a setup man for a few months until the deadline and a desperate team needs a closer, it'd be a good sign.

There's no reason for the 2013 Twins to sign a single reliever. We have no shortage of arms. Perkins, Burton can serve the late roles while Duensing, DeVries cover the lefties and between everyone else that we never gave a chance and Burnett we have enough decent righties. Also we have far bigger issues in the rotation and infield.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,304 Times in 702 Posts
    When it come to Wilson, I think we should just think about what to think about.

many people may think that the bullpen is fine but it ranked 17th in ERA (3.77) , 20th in BAA (.246), 14th in OBP (.311), 15th in slgg (.380), 30th in K/9 (6.48).....very mediocre & can absolutely use a makeover, but TR wont do it as mediocrity would be a stop up for Twins

Or because a bullpen can be strengthened very easily during the season through trade if the team is a contender and relievers tend to be far over-valued when most starters can be average or above-average relievers. Investing in bullpen arms is a bad way to create a contender.

Senior Member All-Star
    I don't have a problem signing a cheapish bullpen arm to throw into the 6th/7th inning mix but wilson just isn't a fit. I don't think this is a fit for Wilson either. He's probably looking for a one year contract so he can sign a bigger closer contract next year. And I'm almost certain that he would prefer to be on a contender than in the cellar.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Round, round, get around...

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    many people may think that the bullpen is fine but it ranked 17th in ERA (3.77) , 20th in BAA (.246), 14th in OBP (.311), 15th in slgg (.380), 30th in K/9 (6.48).....very mediocre & can absolutely use a makeover, but TR wont do it as mediocrity would be a stop up for Twins
    Think maybe this had something to do with the tragic starting rotation? I wonder whether, if Blackburn could have gotten out of the third inning a time or two, we wouldn't have had to trot out Jeff Gray every other day?

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganJones View Post
    Wilson likes his buffoon act too much. He's not likely to be very effective this year which will make his buffoonery grating rather than endearing.
    Buffoonery, eh? Yup, Brian is far too creative for a Twins uniform I suspect. Besides that, he is a closer, and until it is proven he can't anymore, that is what he wants to do, and that is what he has said he is looking for.