Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Napolis contract hits a snag.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts

Napolis contract hits a snag.

With Napolis contract hitting a snag with the Red Soxs,could the reason be Joe Mauer has waived his no trade clause, and the Red Soxs and Napoli are agreeing on compensation for breach of contract?After watching a perenial post season team becoming the worst team in the American Leaque for 2 years running and no hope for the future, did Joe decide playing in Minnesota friendly just wasnt enough to be ladden with a team going now where fast? If so what could we expect in return for Mr. Mauer?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    No way, will never happen.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    possibly but i doubt it

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Unlikely, to say the least.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,927 Times in 1,129 Posts
    Trading Mauer would be nothing but a lose-lose for the Twins. Not only would it be a PR nightmare, but the Twins would never get back enough to make it worth it. No way it happens.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 199 Posts
    How many of these stupid Mauer trade threads do we need?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    How many of these stupid Mauer trade threads do we need?
    438 They need to match the number for Correia

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The real question isn't wether or not it would benefit the Twins to trade Mauer, but why in the hell would he wave his no-trade? The Twins look to have some fantastic guys coming up in 2014-2015, and he's already under contract for those years. He's making PLENTY of money. He has very strong, deep roots in Minnesota and family is exceedingly important to him (hell, his mom answers his fan mail for him). Plus, he just got married to a girl who is also from Minnesota.

Odds are exceedingly low that the Red Sox will even have a shot at the division title, much less win a championship. They totally imploded last year, and the Orioles and Blue Jays look like they will be serious competitors next year. There is ZERO benefit to moving to Boston for him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 110 Times in 70 Posts
    Mlbtraderumors.com quoted the sox gm as saying "we are working on another player." Now that could be any player but...I know a similar player to napoli that is a huge upgrade and has the prospects to make that mammoth deal happen. Just saying

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    With Napolis contract hitting a snag with the Red Soxs,could the reason be Joe Mauer has waived his no trade clause, and the Red Soxs and Napoli are agreeing on compensation for breach of contract?
    Ummm.... No.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Front Line Starter, Top Prospect and Ellsbury....cya joe, has anybody thought the Twins might trade Mauer as a favor to Mauer?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to hear it. enough already.

Ask yourself "Why Not?" Wouldn't a Mauer contract pay for 3-4-5 other players easily for the remainder of his contract. How hard would it be to replace him with a competent catcher..... Do we actually need superstars if we are treading water, hoping to compete, or rebuilding?
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IF, if the Bosox and Twins did this, who could the Twins get for Mauer? I don't think it will happen, but I'd love to see Lester and Middlebrooks come our way. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A host on a show on Baseball America(XM radio) today said that the snag was due to a problem with the physical.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't Feed the Greed Guy View Post
    IF, if the Bosox and Twins did this, who could the Twins get for Mauer? I don't think it will happen, but I'd love to see Lester and Middlebrooks come our way. Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?
    Yeah, cause Lester has really been a great pitcher over the last few years. Riiight.

Liked 716 Times in 380 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiTownTwinsFan View Post
    Trading Mauer would be nothing but a lose-lose for the Twins. Not only would it be a PR nightmare, but the Twins would never get back enough to make it worth it. No way it happens.
    Well said. The Twins may lose 100 games next year, but Mauer will hopefully keep fans in the stands.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll preface this by saying I don't think there's any trade in the works with Boston for Mauer. That being said, if I was trading Mauer to Boston, Dustin Pedroia would absolutely be a part of what I was asking for (and it would require more than Pedroia, but he's the starting point). Without him, forget it. Lester and prospects, not good enough.

That's of course only my opinion, but Mauer is that good. You want the best player on our team, the face of the franchise, the marketing machine, everything that Mauer is for the Twins, you're giving us your best player back in return who happens to fill a position of desperate need for us, and you're adding a whole bunch more, too. I think I'd be tempted to ask for Lester to go with Pedroia.

Senior Member Triple-A Don't Feed the Greed Guy's Avatar
    Liked 219 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Yeah, cause Lester has really been a great pitcher over the last few years. Riiight.
    J-Dog,

Absolutely right. No sarcasm. Check out Lester's seven year-average. Last year was a dropoff, but in 2010 he was 19-9 with a 3.25 era, and in 2011 he was 15-9 with a 3.47 era. Scroll down to his seven-year average. Jon Lester Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

Middlebrooks was injured as a rookie after 75 games and 267 at-bats, but a 162 game compilation of his 2012 statistics projects out to 32 home runs and 117 rbi's from the 3b position.
    Will Middlebrooks Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com

With all that said, it's just fantasy. Mauer is staying in Minnesota with his newlywed wife, and family close by.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnydakota View Post
    With Napolis contract hitting a snag with the Red Soxs,could the reason be Joe Mauer has waived his no trade clause, and the Red Soxs and Napoli are agreeing on compensation for breach of contract?After watching a perenial post season team becoming the worst team in the American Leaque for 2 years running and no hope for the future, did Joe decide playing in Minnesota friendly just wasnt enough to be ladden with a team going now where fast? If so what could we expect in return for Mr. Mauer?
    Apparently the reason is there's been a snag is wording in the contract...

'Its presumed the Sox are seeking to add language in the contract that will shield them against pre-existing injuries for the 31-year-old, who has been on the disabled list five times during his seven-year major league career.'