Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Article: Is Lame Duck Gardy Good as Gone?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Is Little Nicky Punto returning to the Gardy party ,For the farewell tour?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, the Dodgers are likely to trade infielders Nick Punto and Juan Uribe.

Skip Schumaker was acquired via trade from the Cardinals on Wednesday afternoon and is expected to share time at second base next year with Mark Ellis. That doesn't leave much room for Punto, who is also behind Hanley Ramirez, Dee Gordon and Justin Sellers on the depth chart at shortstop. Uribe, meanwhile, has posted a wretched .199/.262/.289 batting line over the past two seasons. The Dodgers might as well just cut him.
    Related: Juan Uribe

Source: FOX Sports

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Gardy did run Garza & JJ Hardy out of town. He's not responsible for the terrible return, but he is the guy who didn't want the SS who could hit for power and played good defense because he wasn't fast enough.

Gardy's the guy who played Revere in RF, Span in CF, and Willingham in LF because it was where the veterans Span & Willingham liked to play, despite it being blindingly obvious that the best defensive alignment for the team was Span in LF, Revere in CF, and Willingham in RF.

Gardy's the guy whose batting order has been baffling, playing no-hit guys in the 2-hole because they had "speed" or just played 2B.

Gardy's the guy who gets kicked out of games because he can't control himself.

Look, he's not a BAD manager. But he's not a great one either. And he doesn't seem to be adding a lot of value to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    I would rather see Ryan and Pohlad gone.
    Couldn't agree more Pohlad would be #1 on my list

Couldn't agree more especially Pohlad!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jmlease1 View Post
    Gardy did run Garza & JJ Hardy out of town. He's not responsible for the terrible return, but he is the guy who didn't want the SS who could hit for power and played good defense because he wasn't fast enough.

Gardy's the guy who played Revere in RF, Span in CF, and Willingham in LF because it was where the veterans Span & Willingham liked to play, despite it being blindingly obvious that the best defensive alignment for the team was Span in LF, Revere in CF, and Willingham in RF.

Gardy's the guy whose batting order has been baffling, playing no-hit guys in the 2-hole because they had "speed" or just played 2B.

Gardy's the guy who gets kicked out of games because he can't control himself.

Look, he's not a BAD manager. But he's not a great one either. And he doesn't seem to be adding a lot of value to the club.
    When your top four knocks against him range from "speculation" to "pure fiction," I'd say that's actually a pretty ringing endorsement.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    When your top four knocks against him range from "speculation" to "pure fiction," I'd say that's actually a pretty ringing endorsement.
    Well said.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 776 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chagen View Post
    Couldn't agree more Pohlad would be #1 on my list

Well, come up with the dough and make them an offer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Gardenhire reiterated what he and Smith have continually said this winter in that Casilla will get an opportunity to compete for one of the starting middle-infield jobs, even if Hardy remains in the mix. And while Casilla can also play both positions, Gardenhire indicated that he prefers him at shortstop.

"I have always said, for me, I think he moved really well at shortstop," Gardenhire said, "I think he's very acrobatic. I think he's very athletic. He can go get the ball and throw from all kinds of angles. I think he's comfortable coming in and getting the ball rather than waiting on it.''

'The Twins have said throughout the offseason that one of their goals has been to add speed to their lineup, and the one area where they felt they could do that was in the middle infield. '

In speaking about the trade yesterday general manager Bill Smith made it very clear that the move was made largely because Ron Gardenhire wants to add more speed to the lineup and Hardy, despite his excellent range defensively, is one of the slowest shortstops in baseball.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Gardenhire reiterated what he and Smith have continually said this winter in that Casilla will get an opportunity to compete for one of the starting middle-infield jobs, even if Hardy remains in the mix. And while Casilla can also play both positions, Gardenhire indicated that he prefers him at shortstop.

"I have always said, for me, I think he moved really well at shortstop," Gardenhire said, "I think he's very acrobatic. I think he's very athletic. He can go get the ball and throw from all kinds of angles. I think he's comfortable coming in and getting the ball rather than waiting on it.''

'The Twins have said throughout the offseason that one of their goals has been to add speed to their lineup, and the one area where they felt they could do that was in the middle infield. '

In speaking about the trade yesterday general manager Bill Smith made it very clear that the move was made largely because Ron Gardenhire wants to add more speed to the lineup and Hardy, despite his excellent range defensively, is one of the slowest shortstops in baseball.
    JJ Hardy home runs in 2009 and 2010: 17...combined. SLG in 2009: 0.357 (average was 0.418). SLG in 2010: 0.394 (average was 0.403). ISO in 2009: 0.128 (average was 0.155). ISO in 2010: 0.126 (average was 0.145). Would you like to point out that sometimes a 2B has batted second so that naturally means they batted there "just because" of it? Cuz that would be a good play here, too...I guess.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    JJ Hardy home runs in 2009 and 2010: 17...combined. SLG in 2009: 0.357 (average was 0.418). SLG in 2010: 0.394 (average was 0.403). ISO in 2009: 0.128 (average was 0.155). ISO in 2010: 0.126 (average was 0.145). Would you like to point out that sometimes a 2B has batted second so that naturally means they batted there "just because" of it? Cuz that would be a good play here, too...I guess.
    Why is everyone so eager to jump on someone around here...hold carp. All I did was provide some info to suggest Gardy did have quite a bit to say about Hardy being traded. Does what I provided suggest he did? Isn't the point of disccsuion an attempt to get to the truth, or is it more important to be right?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why is everyone so eager to jump on someone around here...hold carp. All I did was provide some info to suggest Gardy did have quite a bit to say about Hardy being traded. Does what I provided suggest he did? Isn't the point of disccsuion an attempt to get to the truth, or is it more important to be right?
    What you did is try to show that the sliver of truth was true, while ignoring the part that was garbage. That's also a fancy way of exaggerating, fabricating, lying...whichever floats your boat.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    What you did is try to show that the sliver of truth was true, while ignoring the part that was garbage. That's also a fancy way of exaggerating, fabricating, lying...whichever floats your boat.
    I provided information from the Twins News site concerning one part the list. That's all I did. I never said everything the original poster wrote was true, I just felt that one part was true based on what I had read and I shared the info I had. If you feel, after reading that, that Gardy didn't have a big hand in Hardy being moved, fine; however, assuming I was exaggerating, lying or whatever, that's crap.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I provided information from the Twins News site concerning one part the list. That's all I did. I never said everything the original poster wrote was true, I just felt that one part was true based on what I had read and I shared the info I had. If you feel, after reading that, that Gardy didn't have a big hand in Hardy being moved, fine; however, assuming I was exaggerating, lying or whatever, that's crap.
    Good work.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just to be clear, it wasn't ME you were calling a shameless, full-time Twins apologist, right? :-)

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 853 Times in 549 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to be clear, it wasn't ME you were calling a shameless, full-time Twins apologist, right? :-)
    Nope.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there a Gardy Apologist Club or something? Get Togethers... Meetings... Membership Dues... If so... Why haven't I been invited or asked to contribute?

Liked 3,167 Times in 1,356 Posts
    We wouldn't be moving the goalposts now would we?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    We wouldn't be moving the goalposts now would we?
    No. Hardy hadn't shown the power in 2009 and 2010 that he has shown since. Implying that he had just isn't true.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    No. Hardy hadn't shown the power in 2009 and 2010 that he has shown since. Implying that he had just isn't true.
    For the record, I never mentioned the power part...the debate between you and I was only about whether or not Gardy had a big role in why Hardy was traded. I won't pretend to know the real reason why Gardy wanted him gone.

But if we can put that aside, once Hardy got healthy (occurring in the 2nd half of 2010), he posted a slash line of .304/.363/.442. From a shortstop, that's pretty impressive. Wouldn't it have made sense to see what he had the following year since he wasn't due a big raise in arbitration anyway
    Last edited by ThePuck; 12-14-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast