Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Is Lame Duck Gardy Good as Gone?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Is Lame Duck Gardy Good as Gone?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    I was thinking of Gardy when they signed Correia and all I could think of was it's time for Hawk Harrelson - He Gone

Liked 43 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gardenhire should have been gone 3 or 4 years ago. He is the guest that stayed way, way too long.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Otwins View Post
    I was thinking of Gardy when they signed Correia and all I could think of was it's time for Hawk Harrelson - He Gone
    That's about right... Gardy has done a terrific job managing the Twins since he started in 2002. He's the same person and the same manager that won an AL Manager of the Year award and finished second five times. But if it's going to be guys like Correia in his rotation or guys like we saw last year, there's not a thing he can do. No manager alive, even Larussa or Maddon could have won with the Twins issues (injury and talent) the last two seasons. It's the way baseball works, and it may be a change for change sake is good, but it won't be because Gardy suddenly became a bad manager.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Gardy could fight his way back, he has dealth with young players before.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    The handwriting has been on the wall for some time. In most MLB organizations the GM gets to choose his Field Manager and the Twins need to do the same (similar philosophies and better communications). It was basically announced that Gardenhire is gone when he didn't receive a contract extention--not even a for 1 year! But, I don't think Molitor will be the next manager.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 821 Times in 516 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    That's about right... Gardy has done a terrific job managing the Twins since he started in 2002. He's the same person and the same manager that won an AL Manager of the Year award and finished second five times. But if it's going to be guys like Correia in his rotation or guys like we saw last year, there's not a thing he can do. No manager alive, even Larussa or Maddon could have won with the Twins issues (injury and talent) the last two seasons. It's the way baseball works, and it may be a change for change sake is good, but it won't be because Gardy suddenly became a bad manager.
    I'm not sure terrific is the word I'd use to describe him... In some cases, yes... but Gardy has some pretty serious flaws, in particular dealing with rookies and his game management skills... I'm not convinced Gardy would be the right person to develop the young talent that will be hitting the bigs in the next few years.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,943 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Who will be next? Bruno? (And don't everyone say Molitor, I think that ship has sailed.) I have to think they already have a plan given the replacement of coaches, no extension, a team that won't be majorly improved next season.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think for Gardy to stay, he had to jettison Rick Anderson and did not want to do it. He has not become a worse manager, just very little talent here and not much for this year. It looks like he is setup to fail.

Liked 1,295 Times in 749 Posts
    I HOPE that some other team fires its manager early to mid-season and then "lures" Gardenhire away from the Twins. I wish Gardenhire well but I do think its time for a change. And I don't think that it's time for Paul Molitor. I, too, think that ship has sailed.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    I'm going to disagree with most of the sentiment here. TR's recent comments about providing Gardy with personnel seems to indicate to me that Gardy's going to be given the benefit of the doubt (again) regardless of how the team performs this year.

Not offering Gardy a contract extension in this offseason is as close to firing the manager as the Twins will get in my estimation. I predict Gardy will receive at least a 2 year extension after 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Gardenhire makes under 2 million a year. If the Pohlads wanted him gone, he would be.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 381 Times in 234 Posts
    I'd think Gene Glynn would be first in line. He's being shielded from the MLB mess right now sitting in Rochester. Anyone who comes from TB should get the first interview in my book.

Still, I haven't been a Gardenhire apologist in a long time, but this situtaion is a load of crap. Even though Ryan surely knows the likely disaster that will be 2013 is his fault, not Gardenhire's, Ryan also knows the fan restlessnes is going to cause him to ax the manager. Hopefully smarter minds prevail and the front office is wiped clean if the coaching staff is also taken out, they can start looking for replacements by talking to Glynn's old pals in Tampa.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-12-2012 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post

Absolutely correct. The hyper fan tends to micro-manage every move made and then views in light of their micro-management, which always shades the view towards the negative. When you look at his body of work he is one of the best managers in the game and is highly respected among baseball fans and personnel in other markets. He has not been provided talent the last couple of years and no one could manage that junk. BTW, same thing happens here, many want Ron Washington gone.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Gardy gets way too much blame from fans. He's a good manager. For whatever reason, fans always complaint that he's not good with young players yet he's often had some of the youngest teams in baseball. He has some issues - I hate the piranha ball that he likes - but I think he's a net positive for the team.

As much as I've loved watching the Twins in the Gardenhire years, it just has the feel of time to move on. This isn't Gardy's team anymore. Cuddyer's gone, Santana's long gone, Span's gone, Kubel's gone, Morneau will most likely be gone by the end of this year. I want to see what a fresh approach from a new coach can do with what will be a squalling bunch of youngsters coming up from the minors.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You know how George W. Bush talked to Americans like they were stupid, but he wasn't actually stupid at all? Is that how Gardy is as well, because he certainly talks to Twins fans like they are stupid.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    It is a really bad deal for Gardy, but from the institutional point of view, it makes perfect sense. You let the departing manager, take the "give away" season, and bring a new manager for the start of the new era. That is what they did with Tom Kelly as well. When they thought they finally had a team that had a chance, they let Kelly go (well, Kelly retired on his own, but he is not stupid either) and started with a new manager. It is going to be interesting to see what happens at the end of 2013. If Gardy is given a one year extension, then you know the Twins are not going for 2014. If thye start with a new manager in 2014, it is because they think that is the year they can start winning again.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 393 Times in 207 Posts
    I'd be pissed if they fire Gardy

Im not a Gardy guy at all.....but he is getting NO shot to compete this season.
    Dont think he's good with young players & after this yr, they will go really young...so its time to move on

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast