Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Offseason Shopping List

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

Offseason Shopping List

A little feature they do on MLB Network's "MLB Tonight" is they take a team and give the two guys (I don't know who they are) the "company credit card" and let them do some off season shopping.

They looked at adding a pitcher, shortstop, second baseman and outfielder.

The first guy was going to sign Jurrjens, trade for Freddy Galvis, keep Jamey Carroll and trade Morneau for Franklin Gutierrez.

The second guy was going to sign Pelfrey, start Florimon, sign Freddy Sanchez and bring up Hicks.

Then it got crazy...

Second guy brought up how Griffey came to Seattle's spring training as a 19-year-old and "never looked back". He then suggested the Twins bring Buxton to Spring Training and to "look out for Byron Buxton".

He's obviously familiar with how the Twins do things.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Larry Bowa and Dave Valle... I don't think Bowa wil have any GM offers any time soon.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of signing Jurrjens with the first one, but the rest is....bad. Galvis was a one year wonder in the minors, we don't need an outfielder, and something else needs to happen at the middle infield. Jurrjens is really someone I'd be happy to sign as long as it's less than 4 million/year. Take away last year and his rookie year (where he didn't throw 50 innings in either) and the stat line is:
    Year Tm W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
    2008-2011 ATL 47 32 .595 3.34 108 108 0 2 1 0 671.2 636 273 249 53 231 20 467 13 4 12 2824 121 1.291 8.5 0.7 3.1 6.3 2.02

He doesn't strike a lot of people out and it's certainly a high risk, high reward move. Should this count towards the 1-2 pitchers the Twins need to sign? Of course not, but I'd like to give him a chance. The second one is just as worse and I don't see any creative moves.

Liked 2,206 Times in 1,243 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was the Cubs segment that bugged me a little... Bowa and Valle had the Cubs picking up the upper end free agents and trading for upper end prospects like Olt.

The Twins Pelfrey and Jurrjens... Trading for Gutierrez and Galvis.