Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Correia Signing is a Sad Thing

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StormJH1 View Post
    Just because you have a general organizational problem (lack of power hitters, no power arms, etc.) doesn't mean that EVERY move you make needs to directly address that issue.
    Worley doesn't address that need either...and you didn't see me slamming him. In any event, we haven't addressed that need, at all...not for the present at least

A rotation of Correia, Diamond, Vanimal, and whoever, looks slightly better than, Diamond, Vanimal, and whoever. Besides, How many of our pitchers threw over 150+ innings last year? 200+ might be nice, but I'll take 179 too.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biffman77 View Post
    Money simply isn't enough to lure prime talent to a team that's lost 95+. Personally, I'm not that bent outta shape about it. In this new drug free era of baseball, you cant invest big money in 30 something starters and expect an even modest return. You have to get young pitching, harness it while their healthy, and let someone else make the mistake of overpaying for past accomplishments. How much of Greinke's contract, will he actually earn? What did we really lose when we traded Johan Santana? About 1 and a half seasons of decent, not elite pitching, which the Mets are still paying for. In the mean while, we need somebody, anybody, to at least hold down a spot, until the prospects are ready.
    Johan's first year with the Mets he led the majors in ERA and quality starts while leading the NL in IP (3rd in the majors). His next year he had an ERA of 3.19 and the next year he had an ERA of 2.98

It does make me wonder what Lannan, Liriano, and Saunders will be worth. My Guess is 7-9 mil, each.

I stand corrected sir. Most kind

Liked 365 Times in 206 Posts
    Question; is it just the 95 losses that makes it difficult to lure pitchers? What effect (if any) does it have that Rick Anderson is the Twins pitching coach? What effect (if any) does it have that Rick Anderson MAY only be the pitching coach for 2013 and that Ron Gardenhire MAY only be the manager for 2013? What effect does the organization's prior pitching philosophy have (and is that philosophy gone)? What effect does the organization's historical stinginess on free agent pitching (and, for that matter, on extensions) have?

I don't think its JUST the 95 losses that make pitchers reluctant to sign in Minnesota. Gut feeling is that there's a whole slew of factors at play but that's all it is, a gut feeling.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Question; is it just the 95 losses that makes it difficult to lure pitchers? What effect (if any) does it have that Rick Anderson is the Twins pitching coach? What effect (if any) does it have that Rick Anderson MAY only be the pitching coach for 2013 and that Ron Gardenhire MAY only be the manager for 2013? What effect does the organization's prior pitching philosophy have (and is that philosophy gone)? What effect does the organization's historical stinginess on free agent pitching (and, for that matter, on extensions) have?

I don't think its JUST the 95 losses that make pitchers reluctant to sign in Minnesota. Gut feeling is that there's a whole slew of factors at play but that's all it is, a gut feeling.
    And one of those factors could be...Twins don't make the best offer...

All though he only reached 200+ innings only the first year, and further clogged up the Mets payroll situation.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 117 Times in 52 Posts
    Maybe Correia can post better numbers with Butera as his personal catcher.

These pitcher are free agents. They can play wherever they choose. There are many teams with needs for pitching, and hope for immediate success. You probably could overpay for a pitcher like Shaun Marcum or Anibal Sanchez, but then the question becomes, Are we a Marcum or Sanchez away from being a contender now?

I'm just waiting for the Liriano news.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    But you are not adding Sanchez or Marcum for 1 year....so the questions are....do you punt on 2012....do you believe you can sign anyone this year that will help in 1 or 2 years.....signing guys is not about only next year.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post

Name one higher profile pitcher then that signed a FA contract with a last place team?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biffman77 View Post
    Are we a Marcum or Sanchez away from being a contender now?
    Then why even get Corriea...I mean, seriously. Why? Not being a jerk, just wondering. This move doesn't get us any better, so why make it. If we're not going to even attempt to be respectable, why even make this move...and for two years

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    2013 The worst twins team ever.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post

Name one higher profile pitcher then that signed a FA contract with a last place team?
    I was adding in another possible factor to his list...since it does seem MOST players go where they get paid the most.

To answer your statement, most of the teams willing to spend a good chunk on free agents aren't usually in last place...cause they get the talent. So even if it's never happened, it doesn't prove anything.

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 32 Times in 17 Posts
    Kevin Correia, Twins agree to terms - Bucs Dugout

What the one Pirates Blog is saying. In short, they (we, cause I'm a Pittsburger) don't get the money or the years -- the whole signing really.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 198 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post

The Rockies signed Jeff Francis for $1.5 million and only had to give him 1 year. That signing would have only been mildly annoying, not upsetting like this two-year slap in the face. The other bottom feeders haven't done anything, just as Ryan shouldn't have unless he was going after a top of the rotation arm.

We get Kevin Correia and i hear the Tigers were trying to get James Shields doesn't seem right does it? They have quality starting pitching and are trying to acquire more. We pick up Kevin Correia and we wonder why we haven't won anything in over 20 years.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chagen View Post
    We get Kevin Correia and i hear the Tigers were trying to get James Shields doesn't seem right does it? They have quality starting pitching and are trying to acquire more. We pick up Kevin Correia and we wonder why we haven't won anything in over 20 years.
    How many starts do you suppose Shields will make for the Tigers this year?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast