Thread: Article: Correia Signing is a Sad Thing

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Correia Signing is a Sad Thing

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "This is one of the most outrageous contracts in an offseason that's been full of them. It's too bad the Twins had to be the ones to sign it. They'd have been better off adding that $10 million on top of an offer to a pitcher who could actually make a difference."

That's the crucial thing right there. And I have a hard time believing that the extra money thrown at Shaun Marcum wouldn't have been enticing enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Why the rush to sign him? All the rest spoken for? It seams there is alot of better pitchers lookin for jobs. Who recommend him?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but the Twins would have been better off just announcing that Blackie was the next addition to the rotation. Correia is Marquis Lite and belongs in the NL. I actually believe that I have as good a shot succeeding in the rotation as a 57 year-old, overweight slob with a 48 mph fastball.

That being said, I'm feeling a whiplash from all of the good feelings that TR built up with the trades of Span and Revere, to the venom now spewing on the guy. I'm sorry that TR wasted money on Correia, but if you were a major league pitcher would you want to come here right now? Every FA starter is being overpaid, there is no question about that. Unfortunately Nick, I'm afraid that if we offered Sanchez his 6/$90M request and we were the only ones to offer that much, we'd be turned down. The same goes for Jackson, Marcum or any of the other decent options out there.

This contract reeks of desperation - this a warm body for the rotation for 2013, possibly the only one willing to sign here. TR is desperate to fill a rotation, but we probably would have been better off with a trade of Willingham and Morneau for another Worley type pitcher, and just turn the outfield over to the kiddie corps (Arcia, Hicks and Benson with Parmelee at 1B). Throw in the towel for 2013 and build for the future.
    Last edited by ScottyB; 12-11-2012 at 04:54 AM.

What kills me is that this $5 million will hamper free agency again next year. I don't care what the payroll number is to an extent, but you gotta be smarter with your contracts than this! I was just thinking about how the Twins will drop Blackburn's wasted contract next offseason and now they add another!

i guess I was hoping that even if the Twins didn't sign a big name like Marcum (was never hoping for a Greinke/Haren type) they would at least avoid crap signings like this and grab some upside with a Jurrjens/Gorelanny/Karstens or just roll with any number of replacement types they already have (Deduno, Devries, etc). You can't convince me that some pitchers wouldn't jump at the chance to play in Minnesota because they would know they have a big pitcher-friendly ballpark and no other pitchers to take their rotation spot....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    People will have to realize the top tier free agents all had the same words for the Twins,
    "No, thanks" even at any price. Winning draws talent.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 775 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wish I had a powdered wig and a walking cane because if I did, I'd be pounding the cane on the ground shouting "Hear, Hear!" in response to this article.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't agree with the signing at all....but seriously, if they are having that much trouble attracting pitchers, why not just go 1 year 8 million?!?! Or something like that? Why compound the mistake by giving him 2 years? It makes zero sense to me

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If we don't sign Marcum, or at least someone else decent, this is going to be sad.
    Maybe if we have $20 million extra we'll shock everyone and sign Sanchez or Hamilton.
    I bent my wookie...

Either that Ryan actually believes a player with these attributes is worth jumping on when there are plenty of other names on the board, or that he is having so little luck attracting free agents of any caliber that he felt the need to lock up the first offer that someone – anyone – finally accepted. The GM may have feared that if he didn't act on an opportunity, he might be left with nothing.

This is where I feel like a GM has to be willing to take risk, in the form of being patient and waiting on the market. There will be pitchers of this ability level on the market in January and February and some of them will take one-year contracts.

Member Single-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd rather give this guy $10 for 2 then do what the Royals did for Guthrie.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 74 Times in 50 Posts
    Losing and penury gets this as a result. During the stretches of winning, the Twins never got out of character to step-up and sign an upper-tier player. That reputation has come back to bite them.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I completely agree that this signing is a sad, sad deal. Not looking forward to another Jason Marquis debacle.. Woof!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would rather roll with these four guys, than Correia or others like him.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 337 Times in 224 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I wish I had a powdered wig and a walking cane because if I did, I'd be pounding the cane on the ground shouting "Hear, Hear!" in response to this article.
    I like this Nick Nelson alot. He's a lot better than the other one who recently bestowed Sainthood on the Twins' GM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 775 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I like this Nick Nelson alot. He's a lot better than the other one who recently bestowed Sainthood on the Twins' GM.
    Nick has never been afraid to take issue with the front office. He, like me, prefers to wait until they actually do something before complaining about theoreticals.

And this was a bad move. Unfortunate, given that Ryan had just made one good move and one stellar move in the previous two weeks.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwak View Post
    Losing and penury gets this as a result. During the stretches of winning, the Twins never got out of character to step-up and sign an upper-tier player. That reputation has come back to bite them.
    This is not a penurious team any longer. They promised things would change with Target Field and they can pay to play if they chose to do so.

Senior Member MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Nick has never been afraid to take issue with the front office. He, like me, prefers to wait until they actually do something before complaining about theoreticals.

And this was a bad move. Unfortunate, given that Ryan had just made one good move and one stellar move in the previous two weeks.
    It's good to praise them when they do things right. It's also good to understand who and what you're dealing with before you look foolish for writing something so quickly, easily, obviously and predictably proven utterly wrong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    Man, hard to like this move. I think criticism of Ryan has always been that he's unwilling to give long contracts to FA, especially pitchers. We knew this when he came back. Twins are going to have to get better through their farm system.

I also want to know how much payroll is limited by the Pohlads and how much is it Ryan's preference not to spend.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In Terry we trust?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast