Thread: Twins Caravan Schedule

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Twins Caravan Schedule

The Twins Winter Caravan will take place in areas all around Twins Territory starting January 14 and going through January 24, leading up to Twins Fest. Today, they announced the schedule. Venues are not listed, but those will certainly come out shortly. Players and media are listed, but subject to change.

Minnesota Twins Announce Plans for 2013 Twins Winter Caravan | twinsbaseball.com: News

I always enjoy the caravan. It's a nice thing that the Twins do, getting the personalities out in the community and letting fans "get to know 'em" a little bit. I think it's actually really good for the players as well to see how far away from the metro area there are fans. I've probably gone to one something like 4 of the last 5 years or so... had the opportunity to meet some good guys. It's just fun to start really thinking about spring training being just another month away.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wonder, if someone wanted to pick the day/location likely to have the sparsest crowd, just for the most personal experience I guess, which one would he go to?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Anyone want to go catch up with Yarni at the Winona one? I'm sure he'll be there.

Also, JR will be there, and may make further offers of lucrative pitching contracts to non-baseball players. You could get rich, but be warned, I can still dial it up to the low 80's!
    Last edited by FrodaddyG; 12-17-2012 at 05:07 PM.

I would guess that community outreach is especially important when you're about to run a crap team on the field for the third straight year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Kind of depressing they only came down to Des Moines their one year of being legit good (2010) lately. It had great turnout too even with getting rescheduled due to weather.

It is a great way to get out into the greater midwest area. Most are well attended, hosted by broadcasting partners of the team or civic groups. hey make school and hospital stops. Sometimes a business stop. You usually have to wrangle an invite, not just walk in (which isn't that hard ocne you find a sponsor). Then tend to travel in a mini-bus. And it can be cold in the Dakotas.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Baldwin!? Looks like my little town of less than three grand is on the map!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 177 Times in 105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They should call it the Twins Apology Tour this year.

I remember the Marshall, MN one as being reasonably attended some years back. Probably any of the outstate events would be best for interaction chances: Marshall, Worthington, Montevideo, the Iron Range cities up north, etc. Of course, you will have to watch for a more detailed schedule -- some of these events will be weekday mornings/afternoons at schools, etc. and mostly just for schoolkids. The ones I've attended were open to the public at hotel banquet rooms in the evening.

Interesting that they're sending out Aaron Hicks and Kyle Gibson -- neither has yet appeared in the majors (and barely even at AAA) and I suspect neither will open 2013 with the team either.

Also interesting is no Morneau. Although I don't know if he normally goes on these things. Last one I saw featured Pierzynski, so what do I know?

Liked 292 Times in 164 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why do they never come to California? They could at least send Butera here.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Wow, the Willmar lineup is stacked. Carew, Oliva, Hicks, Gibson. Quite an improvement over last year's group of Parmelee, Plouffe, and Swarzak.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    I'm kind of a city person (I live something like 6 or 7 blocks from Target Field). What goes on at these things, anyway? Meet and greet? Autographs? Photos? Gawking?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I'm kind of a city person (I live something like 6 or 7 blocks from Target Field). What goes on at these things, anyway? Meet and greet? Autographs? Photos? Gawking?
    They usually do a question and answer session and then autographs.

Dang it, not coming to Jeddah again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    They usually do a question and answer session and then autographs.
    Do they charge for the autographs? Will they autograph anything? Do you have to get there hours in advance? I'm wondering, if someone wanted to go to Twinsfest for, say, a Carew autograph, if it would be less of a hassle just to drive the hour out to Willmar and do it there...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Do they charge for the autographs? Will they autograph anything? Do you have to get there hours in advance? I'm wondering, if someone wanted to go to Twinsfest for, say, a Carew autograph, if it would be less of a hassle just to drive the hour out to Willmar and do it there...
    I don't believe that they charge for autographs on the Caravan, but I do believe that they sell tickets for the events so it is limited seating and they are only there for a relatively short period of time. I believe the stick around a little bit longer at the "last stop of the day".

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    I don't believe that they charge for autographs on the Caravan, but I do believe that they sell tickets for the events so it is limited seating and they are only there for a relatively short period of time. I believe the stick around a little bit longer at the "last stop of the day".
    This is correct. Tickets are limited, so when they announce the venues be sure to pick up a ticket right away. Since tickets are limited, you don't need to get there hours in advance. In my experience, they sign for everyone who has a ticket. They will sign most items, but some do have limitations. I know for Twins Fest, sometimes Carew won't sign premium items like bats or jerseys because he has a contract with a memorabilia company. I remember going to a caravan stop one time and Danny Valencia wouldn't sign a baseball card because of his contract. Never liked him after that...