Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Twins To Sign RHP Kevin Correia

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Nothing good to say, especially for that price. Give me Feldman, Baker, McCarthy, Lannan, Jurrjens, a trade for a surplus Dodger pitcher, or almost any cheap other option that is or has been out there. Terry Ryan couldn't sign anyone and said sometimes you just can't give money away .....he just succeeded.
    Last edited by Craig in MN; 12-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1. Scott Diamond
    2. Vance Worley
    3. Kevin Correia
    4. and 5. Liam Hendriks, Sam Deduno, Cole DeVries, etc.

Two 3 pitchers, three 5 pitchers, and Hendriks as wildcard. Let's just hope that there is a better signing coming.

Not shocked, Ryan has said has put offers out to multiple pitchers, a team has a 1/30 chance of signing a free agent. A team with 2 years of 90+ losses, and punting 2013 has to overpay to even get someone mediocre.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 174 Times in 108 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would have preferred to spend 9.25 for one year of Baker than 10 for two of Correia.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath View Post
    Not shocked, Ryan has said has put offers out to multiple pitchers, a team has a 1/30 chance of signing a free agent. A team with 2 years of 90+ losses, and punting 2013 has to overpay to even get someone mediocre.
    One should "overpay" for above-average to great pitching and never "overpay" for mediocre pitching. Correia is one of a dozen or more similar pitchers, some of which will be getting minor league deals. It is much better to spend 10-15 million on a good pitcher and then two minor league deals or very small contracts then to pay this kind of money on bad pitching. He is a fifth starter and can only get worse. $10.5 million spend on Correia and Blackburn next year. Think about that.

I agree Shane Wahl, sadly I think they may have tried to overpay for better pitchers, but not everyone (good free agents) loves the Twins as much as us.

Ugh. Those stellar numbers of his came with being in the same division as the Cubs and Astros. The guy was bad enough that you didn't want him in a NL-only fantasy league. I'll be a lot less upset about this if a legit 2/3 starter is signed...even if it is a bit of an over pay.
    Last edited by Mark_RM; 12-10-2012 at 11:30 PM.

Has anyone checked Gardy's house in the north subburbs for a FOR SALE sign???
    Think he's already getting his 2014 resume together

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Tweeted by Parker: Last 3 years: Correia 4.66 xFIP, 13.9% K%, 1.23 HR/9. Guthrie 4.66 xFIP, 13.7% K%, 1.22 HR/9.
    Yes, but have we seen anything this off-season that makes us think KC is making good deals? At least we haven't traded Sano for 2 years of a downward trending non-ace. Then again, as laughable as KC's moves have been this off-season they are still likely to finish closer to .500 that we are. Again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    What they should have done was overpay for a better starter one a 1YR deal and flip him for some prospects.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Jason marquis #2?

Wonder if TR saw the KC/TB trade & knew he had to get the attention off of them & decided to make a move to get the media attention back on him/Twins

Quote Originally Posted by asmus_ndsu View Post
    Jason marquis #2?
    CMON .....its Sidney Ponson #3 or Ramon Ortiz #4 or......

Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Has anyone checked Gardy's house in the north subburbs for a FOR SALE sign???
    Think he's already getting his 2014 resume together
    Maybe this is all part of TR's master plan. This way there's no possibility of the Twins being good enough where they have to keep him around.

He does have the advantage of having a double consonant in his name - for some reason the Twins have always had good luck with guys with double consonants. Killebrew, Allison, Rollins, Versalles, Battey, Hall early on, Puckett, Gaetti, Hrbek (hnrary double consonant in his case), and even some recent guys - Plouffe, Capp (wait, maybe not) and, uh, my theory is breaking down. Not quite sure what we have here. I'll get back to you on this one.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Disappointing sign. He had below average numbers in the National League where he's spent his entire career. Poor SO/BB, WHIP, and he's never pitched more than 200 innings in a season. Second move I disapprove of from Terry Ryan since his return. The first of course is Jason Marquis. 4.77ERA the past three season. Overpaid and underwhelming.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On the plus side, we have 20 million dollars to spend. Put 7 million/yr towards Youkilis and 13 million/yr towards Jackson/Marcum.

Jackson/Marcum
    Diamond
    Worley
    Gibson
    Hendriks/Correia

Correia could be the next Blackburn for us with his contract lingering until 2014, but hopefully he provides a serviceable 5. I hope to God, Terry Ryan isn't satisfied using the underlined five for next year's rotation. That's a disaster waiting to happen. Please, PLEASE sign another pitcher. (Preferably good this time)
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 12-10-2012 at 11:54 PM.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Five million a year wasted! I will bet money his ERA will be higher this year than those two previous years. There is zero chance he will magically cut a whole run off of his ERA. So why spend 10 million and lock up two years when Deduno, Devries Swarzak, Walters, etc can do the same for minimum? How much money have we wasted over the last 5 years on washed up pitchers or never has beens? Those numbers have to add up to something substantial. Like enough to sign 1 real pitcher to the kind of deal it would take to get them here.

His line looks similar to Carl Pavano's, just not as durable and gives up more walks. Nothing to get too excited for, but it's at least somebody so I can't complain.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think i just threw up in my mouth........Why us?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast