Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Correia?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

Kevin Correia?

I just read that the Twins are close to signing Kevin Correia to a 2 yr deal.I hope the second yr is a club option. I feel I would rather have Brett Myers than Correia. Bad choice Mr Ryan, now go sign Edwin Jackson so we can be done with the starting rotation.

not a big fan of the move... he's a career 4.5 ERA guy who spent a long career in the NL with a low K rate...

Is it better than trotting out devries? Of course... but not my first choice.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    I just read that the Twins are close to signing Kevin Correia to a 2 yr deal.I hope the second yr is a club option. I feel I would rather have Brett Myers than Correia. Bad choice Mr Ryan, now go sign Edwin Jackson so we can be done with the starting rotation.
    I'm curious to see the figures. If it's less than half (or around half) of what Blanton signed for... I can take it.

Jon Heyman says deal is done. I'm less than impressed with this signing though it doesn't surprise me. As Aaron Gleeman noted, Correia has the lowest strikeout rate among right-handed pitchers since 2011. Typical pitch-to-contact Twins pitcher.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Total money paid over the contract is $10 million. Contract is two years.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 145 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A mistake if it is more than one year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Well TR was right with them trying to give money away. Gag me. I'd rather have Devries or Hendriks starting in that place.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either
    With the heat down in San Diego, the ball travels better than it does back here. Not a great move by the Twins, but one they clearly needed to make.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    ESPN's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins have agreed to a two-year, $10 million deal with Kevin Correia.

The 32-year-old right-hander posted an underwhelming 4.21 ERA and 1.30 WHIP in 171 innings this past summer for the Pirates but should get a nice boost in fantasy value with the move to the more pitcher-friendly confines of Target Field. Correia also drew serious free agent interest this offseason from the Rockies, Orioles, Brewers, Royals and at least one team from Japan.
    Related: Twins

Source: Jerry Crasnick on Twitte

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    So the first multi year deal deal Ryan gives to a starter not already under contract since Bob Tewksbury in 1998 goes to.....Kevin Correa? What the hell is going on here? Rick Anderson must be thrilled that Ryan is trying to sabbotage his job.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Heh. Baker is lookin mighty juicy again.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Meh. 2013 looks like a punt more and more. Hopefully, the guy becomes a tradeable asset because the contract isn't that bad.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Meh. 2013 looks like a punt more and more. Hopefully, the guy becomes a tradeable asset because the contract isn't that bad.
    So you defended the take that Baker was overpaid at 5.5M for one year and now defend 2yrs and 10M to Marquis Part II as not too bad?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 339 Times in 216 Posts
    So disgusted, why make a move at all if it's Correia. Way to burn all your bonus points with the Revere trade Mr. Ryan, your accumen when it comes to starting pitching is terrible.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    So you defended the take that Baker was overpaid at 5.5M for one year and now defend 2yrs and 10M to Marquis Part II as not too bad?
    You call what I said a defense?

My problem with the Baker deal was that there was NO second year. The amount paid was not the issue.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dez Tobin View Post
    Jon Heyman says deal is done. I'm less than impressed with this signing though it doesn't surprise me. As Aaron Gleeman noted, Correia has the lowest strikeout rate among right-handed pitchers since 2011. Typical pitch-to-contact Twins pitcher.
    They might as well just let Blackburn pitch instead of adding another Blackburn for the same goddamn money that Blackburn is making.

kevin correia

proven big league pitcher, pitches to contact, target field big park. inning eater, healthy. worth every bit of 5 million. on another note james shileds was not worth giving up a top prospect meyers is. does kc really think they are playoff contenders. doubtful.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Correia isn't the best choice out there but he isn't awful. If you compare him to Blanton and McCarthy he has the worst K/9 and BB/9 but his GB% is best of the three.

Season Team W L G GS IP K/9 BB/9 HR/9 GB% ERA FIP xFIP WAR
    Correira Pirates 12 11 32 28 171 4.68 2.42 1.05 51.20% 4.21 4.43 4.34 0.9
    Blanton 2 Teams 10 13 31 30 191 7.82 1.6 1.37 44.60% 4.71 3.91 3.39 2.4
    McCarthy Athletics 8 6 18 18 111 5.92 1.95 0.81 40.50% 3.24 3.76 4.23 1.8

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast