Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Correia?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either
    With the heat down in San Diego, the ball travels better than it does back here. Not a great move by the Twins, but one they clearly needed to make.
    Petco was 26th in runs allowed where Target Field was 10th in 2012, in 2011 Target Field was 21st but Petco was 28th, in 2010 Target Field 19th while Petco was 26th. Petco

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Proven big league pitcher" means what? Pitches to contact. Yes and that isn't good. Inning eater? How so. He had 171 last year and 198 in 2009, but the IP dropped in the middle two years, mostly due to the fact that he sucks.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    ]You call what I said a defense?

My problem with the Baker deal was that there was NO second year. The amount paid was not the issue.
    Someone said "5.5 guaranteed is excessive" I can post more if you can't remember what you said.

Many on this board were borderline laughing at the Cubs for overspending on Feldman and Baker. We guaranteed Correia almost as much money as they did for both of those players. Or as one high and mighty poster said here....25% of our available FA money for this year plus a guaranteed chunk for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    2 years 10 million. He is Nick Blackburn. I had the guy on my fantasy team the year he had a sub 4 era in San Diego. He was a pitcher built for San Diego where the ball doesn't fly. I'm not a big fan of this move either
    With the heat down in San Diego, the ball travels better than it does back here. Not a great move by the Twins, but one they clearly needed to make.
    Petco was 26th in runs allowed where Target Field was 10th in 2012, in 2011 Target Field was 21st but Petco was 28th, in 2010 Target Field 19th while Petco was 26th. Petco
    Yeah... but Twins pitchers play at target field...

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Phew, I thought we weren't going to sign an Ace this year.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    This probably won't be considered a decent move ever but I'm rather indifferent. He's a guy that can hold down the #4/5 spot hopefully. the important thing this offseason is getting the #2/3 starter that at least gives the team some resemblance of a starting rotation.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My initial thought is I wonder if the Twins are really struggling to get anyone to sign here unless they really overpay. This isn't a fantasy baseball auction and these signings don't happen in a vacuum. If I was a free agent and had a couple of options at similar money I would think the Twins would be about last on the list.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    This probably won't be considered a decent move ever but I'm rather indifferent. He's a guy that can hold down the #4/5 spot hopefully. the important thing this offseason is getting the #2/3 starter that at least gives the team some resemblance of a starting rotation.
    But... Correia IS the 2/3 starter

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    ]You call what I said a defense?

My problem with the Baker deal was that there was NO second year. The amount paid was not the issue.
    Someone said "5.5 guaranteed is excessive" I can post more if you can't remember what you said.

Many on this board were borderline laughing at the Cubs for overspending on Feldman and Baker. We guaranteed Correia almost as much money as they did for both of those players. Or as one high and mighty poster said here....25% of our available FA money for this year plus a guaranteed chunk for next year.
    As always, you are the master of context.

This is what I said:
    The Cubs must think he'll have some trade value by midseason, otherwise I don't really get it from their end. 5.5 guaranteed is excessive. The lack of option years is troubling. If this is the deal the Twins gave Baker, I'd hoped we'd be pretty upset.
    I'm so out of line.

To clarify, I hope that Correia pitches well enough to have trade value (either at midseason or offseason), just as I assumed that the Cubs signed Baker for a midseason deal. That's not an inconsistency, Levi.

I'm still not sure how much good that Baker deal does the Twins though, because I think he might take a minute to get back to productivity.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    My initial thought is I wonder if the Twins are really struggling to get anyone to sign here unless they really overpay. This isn't a fantasy baseball auction and these signings don't happen in a vacuum. If I was a free agent and had a couple of options at similar money I would think the Twins would be about last on the list.
    I think you might be onto something, given the similar narrative coming out of Cleveland.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Doesnt bother me unless this is the last pitcher added...then yikes. Hopefully 200 innings as a 4

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    How is this better than what they have?
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I'm still not sure how much good that Baker deal does the Twins though, because I think he might take a minute to get back to productivity.
    This context shows what? You gave just as much billing to plugging that Baker was payed "excessively" (is this somehow different than overpaying?) as you did the option year. How that paragraph proves you didn't argue Baker was overpaid is baffling.

I'll repeat it: The Twins just guaranteed Kevin Correia as much money as the Cubs did for Feldman and Baker combined. After much laughing at the Cubs early on. I know who should be laughing now.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't love the signing, but I don't hate it either. Low risk, low reward. With Diamond and Correia in the rotation our infield defense better be sharp.

Hopefully this means TR is loading up $12-15 million per for a Sanchez, Marcum or Jackson. I'm not holding my breath though.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    How is this better than what they have?
    I'm not sure if you watched last year but with a couple of injuries or pitchers that bomb the Twins are plugging pitchers in that are far worse. That's the problem with the Deduno/Devries argument. Those guys should be left as a last resort before things get really ugly. I'm not a big fan of this move though but whatever. I doubt they have a 100M payroll this year and I doubt this prevents them from signing anybody.

Doesnt bother me unless this is the last pitcher added...then yikes.
    This is my concern also. There aren't that many #3 or better pitchers out there and a lot of teams looking for a starter.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Can we admit its less gross than if our first signing would have been liriano or pavano?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 329 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    I don't love the signing, but I don't hate it either. Low risk, low reward. With Diamond and Correia in the rotation our infield defense better be sharp.

Hopefully this means TR is loading up $12-15 million per for a Sanchez, Marcum or Jackson. I'm not holding my breath though.
    Time for a cleansing breath.

A few of the Twins apologists are all pink and puffy-cheeked and are undoubtedly still holding out their predictably unnatural hope, but I think Worley and Correia are it. Maybe there's a Joel Zumaya clone available?

On the bright side, both will be good candidates for eminent flippability back to the NL come July, so that Hermsen, Wimmers and the 2012 Cast from the "Fame" remake can close out the season in the starting rotation with Diamond (Gibson will likely be shut down or severely limited by the end of August).
    Last edited by jokin; 12-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.

This move is so bad it defies words.

According to Fangraphs, Correia had a WAR of 0.8 over the last three seasons. Only one pitcher (minimum 300 IP) was worse, and that was Nick Blackburn. Third worst was former Twin Jason Marquis.

Yes, the Twins have now had the three worst pitchers of modern MLB on their roster in the past calendar year. And the best part is that they'll be paying Correia for two years, which means they probably won't even designate him for assignment when he inevitably gets lit up in his first 12 starts.

http://twinsdaily.com/twins-talk/373...-pitchers.html
    Just saying I predicted this signin on Oct 14th......not that I have any info but I know how cheap Terry Ryan is
    Very disappointing.......if Gardy is fired this season for another 95 loss season, TR should be right behind

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    For the life of me, I want to know why it is reported that there is a cold market for Edwin Jackson. It's sad that I'd be ecstatic if they could actually sign him.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast