Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Article: Can Brian Dozier Make the Opening Day Roster?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 29 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And as for my "Prove what he is" statement, it literally means he needs to be playing every day somewhere to "prove what he is". You're not going to find out if he's a starter by sitting him on the bench with the MLB club, because he's certainly not beating out Carrol or Casilla in Spring Training.

Senior Member Triple-A whydidnt's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
    I've never understood the Twins stubbornness to stick with mediocrity. It seems like we have these discussions every year. The Twins make a decision to give a job to a mediocre player such as Casilla or Carroll, and then refuse to consider a change when there may be a player either producing better, or with a higher upside. It's one thing to say there is no sense in rushing Dozier because we have a combo of Jeter-Cano at SS-2B, but it's quite another to stunt a guys growth behind Carroll -Casilla. Seriously if the guy is ready then play him, you aren't benching a future all-star! I'm not sure if he is ready, but I do know Gardenhire liked him out of Spring Training last year and he has done nothing but shine since. The Twins offense is already stunted when you consider almost 1/2 the lineup has little to no power. Adding a guy with even slight potential like Dozier makes the entire lineup better.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Veteran presence. Stabilizing force in the middle.

Last year was so ugly, there was a need to get a veteran. I guess.

Personally, the band-aids they put on this team won't make them a winner.

The moves don't add up to improving this team. They'll be better defensively, but unlike the preaching by radio/TV(especially) the Twins won't
    win a lot of low-scoring games.

So at some point they have to decide how to improve this team. And in a hurry. That window of opportunity for Mauer/Morneau is closing. If it has not already.

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Any idea who the mystery infielder is? (and this is not like 20 years ago).
    Without looking, I'll guess Casilla, with a back-up guess of Tolbert.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Mr. Ed's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gil4 View Post
    Without looking, I'll guess Casilla, with a back-up guess of Tolbert.
    HAH

Between the 2 of them they may have 9 minor league HRs

Looks like a decent line. Reminds me of Valencia type numbers.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hughes? He's not a shortstop though, and barely a second baseman.

Mystery infielder

I'm thinking it's the Giants 3Bman we picked up in the minor league phase of the rule V draft. Bucher? No-look.

Part of me thinks that there is just a lot of hype about Dozier. I just hope that he can perform and justify it. Here is a comparison:

Brian Dozier: age 24 season: A+/AA: .320/.399/.491 9 HR, 56 RBI
    Mystery Twins' infielder: age 23 season: AA/AAA: .309/.369/.524 18 HR, 61 RBI

Any idea who the mystery infielder is? (and this is not like 20 years ago).

Just to place Dozier's performance/age in line with others in the system, before we start anointing him as the SS of the future...
    Edit: Hughes is a good guess, too. Thanks, Ben.
    Last edited by twinstalker; 03-13-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Hughes? He's not a shortstop though, and barely a second baseman.
    Hughes. And he is above average second baseman
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just to place Dozier's performance/age in line with others in the system, before we start anointing him as the SS of the future...
    Nobody's expecting Derek Jeter here, but another Jason Bartlett would be nice.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Nice article on Dozier by Brian Dozier by FSN's Tyler Mason: http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/03/13/...74&feedID=5930

"Obviously, in all (reality), I'm not going to make the team out of spring training. But at the same time, just continue to work hard," Dozier said. "If it's Double-A or Triple-A, which I haven't been told yet — I'm assuming Triple-A — either one in our organization is pretty good. So I'm just looking forward to it and continuing to get better."

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Lots of other MLB teams bring up prospects and have them be on the bench, playing 2-3 times a week to give older guys a rest. I see no reason not to do that with Dozier, if he's ready. Service time is irrelevant to a guy his age, with his upside. We aren't talking about a 21 year old, who will be in his prime in FA. He's in his prime right now, actually. That prime age has gotten younger and younger for hitters, from what I've read on line.

The best 25 players should come north, and not be sent down to keep a crappy vet around, or a guy that won't contribute around, or to save service time.

That said, I don't think he's ready right now.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

That said, I don't think he's ready right now.
    BINGO

And he only had one good and one average game this Spring. All the others were below average. As of Yesterday (Data here), there are six infielders who have performed better than him (and I am not counting Casilla or Carroll who are locks)
    -----

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 379 Times in 200 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Lots of other MLB teams bring up prospects and have them be on the bench, playing 2-3 times a week to give older guys a rest."

Like who?

And Thrylos - Hollimon is 4-6 this spring... he's 29... I'd be just fine with him as a utility player... Dozier isn't a utility player.. at least not yet.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And he only had one good and one average game this Spring. All the others were below average. As of Yesterday (Data here), there are six infielders who have performed better than him (and I am not counting Casilla or Carroll who are locks)
    It's spring training! If we're going to value the stats in these games that much, then Mauer should be benched behind J.R. Towles!

I agree that Dozier and the Twins would benefit most from him starting in AAA, but please leave spring training stats out of this.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    And Thrylos - Hollimon is 4-6 this spring... he's 29... I'd be just fine with him as a utility player... Dozier isn't a utility player.. at least not yet.
    That's exactly my point too Seth. The Twins would rather have a utility player (like Hollimon) to warm the bench than Dozier...
    -----

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_dw View Post
    It's spring training! If we're going to value the stats in these games that much, then Mauer should be benched behind J.R. Towles!
    That's not the point. Mauer will make the team. Towles is battling to make the team (as Dozier is.) So you got to compare the players who are fighting for a spot. Like Towles, Butera and Rivera. And at this point, Rivera and Towles are ahead of Butera (and not of Mauer. Mauer is going North)
    -----

Liked 144 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Ed View Post
    HAH Between the 2 of them they may have 9 minor league HRs
    It could have been worse. My first thought was Denny Hocking, but then I realized that it probably was about 20 years ago that he was a semi-prospect.

I guess I didn't read too carefully, either. Read the first stat line and then saw the second one was vaguely similar at the start, so I missed the bit about 18 HR. (Casilla did hit 7 HR at age 23 in the majors - that was the major power output for his career so far.)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Towles is battling to make the team (as Dozier is.) So you got to compare the players who are fighting for a spot.
    This is very true. I can maybe understand using Spring Training stats to break a dead-even tie between two guys, but other than that Spring stats mean nothing. It makes way more sense to see how many good at-bats a player has or how good they can field, things that aren't as fickle as hitting is.

All this to say, I really hope the Twins don't get sucked into giving a big league roster spot to Mike Hollimon or anyone else based on how well they play in a few games in March.

Like Thrylos, I have been thinking of Luke Hughes comparisons. We see some good numbers and want to project this automatic major league success. Many of us did it with Hughes and Plouffe last year and will do it with Dozier this year. Once we watch a AA player struggle with the transition to mlb, we write 'em off and look at the next guy as a better option. In reality, Valencia, Plouffe, Revere, Hughes, Benson and Parmelee are all likely several steps more ready to break through and have a big impact, but that thought process isn't as fun when we watched them lose 99 together.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12