Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rays/Royals Blockbuster deal SUN

Rays/Royals Blockbuster deal SUN

James Shields & Wade Davis got to KC for Will Myers, Jake Orodozzi & Mike Montgomery.
    Gotta be good to have a GM willing to take a chance & believe in their moves

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    If Davis doesn't start, I don't really like this deal for the Royals. But it's good to see them actually going for it.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Awful trade. One of the top prospects in the game, a guy that looks like a future #3 starter, and stuff, for a number 2 starter you only have for two more years, and a reliever/possible starter. Not a fan. That's like Sano and Gibson and two more throw ins...no way I do that.

I would not have even done Meyers for Shields straight up. Mind blowing.

I can't imagine what rany is typing....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 532 Times in 352 Posts
    Ah, he typed "this sucks"....
    Lighten up Francis....

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    James Shields & Wade Davis got to KC for Will Myers, Jake Orodozzi & Mike Montgomery.
    Yeah, I'm sure Royals fans thank their deity daily for Dayton Moore.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    LOL and we thought we could have traded Span+garbage for Shields.

The Royals gave up ALOT. But I give em credit for going for it all, it seems like the Royals have been in constant rebuild mode over the past 15 years, so at some point you gotta say "**** it" and go for it. I wonder if they try to extend Shields at some point this year.

Myers obviously is the key to this trade but I am a bit suprised the Royals let Orgorizzi go as well. I always thought he was basically a cant miss #3 or so in the majors. To be honest I have never been that impressed with Montgomery, he has had two pretty terrible years at AAA in a row now.

Wade Davis will definitely start, he is nothing special but I can see him being a decent #3/#4 for the Royals at the very least, and he has a pretty awesome contract for them to deal with.

Good trade for both teams, Myers is a stud but there is no guarantee that he dominates in the majors.

Oh my god. This is a pretty terrible deal for the Royals. If you asked me if I would give up Hicks, Gibson and Hendriks for comparisons sake I would have gave you a big old resounding "NO." and Myers is a significantly better prospect than Hicks and Ordorizzi might have more upside and is younger than Gibson. They just gave up the future for 2 years of a good #2 starter and a good reliver/#4 starter.

KC is goin for it.
    An ace innings eating horse for 2 more years & a draft pick if/when he leaves.
    No guarrantee on Myers/Orodozzi.....could turn out to be as productive as Hosmer/Moose
    Well worth it IMO for KC

Like it just as well for TB
    Severely limited financially....deal 10m for 3 players who'll make an impact. Rays already have their innings eating horse for 3 more yrs.

Good trade for both teams. KC is going to be an interesting team to watch. I like the deal.
    jjswol

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    The royals just got a lot better. They have acquired some pitching this off season, without spending a ton of money. They believe in their core group of position players, so no is the time to add pitching that can preform immediately.

They are giving up a lot in both Meyers and Orodozzi, but if they win and make the playoffs...

Liked 696 Times in 365 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It seems to me that the trades of Span and Revere are somewhat similar -- trading proven veterans for high level prospects. I also think that the Royals just got a lot better, at least for the next few years.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Awful trade. One of the top prospects in the game, a guy that looks like a future #3 starter, and stuff, for a number 2 starter you only have for two more years, and a reliever/possible starter. Not a fan. That's like Sano and Gibson and two more throw ins...no way I do that.

We have been over this, Shields isn't exactly your common #2. The guy has averaged 222 IP each season over the last 6, and of those 6 seasons he has 4 very good ones (close to ACE), 1 meh one, and one bad(read:unlucky) one all in the toughest division in baseball. He's not in the elite class of Ace's with Verlander/Kershaw/King Felix/Sabathia etc but one could make the argument that he is basically just as much of an "ace" as a guy like Grienke.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post

We have been over this, Shields isn't exactly your common #2. The guy has averaged 222 IP each season over the last 6, and of those 6 seasons he has 4 very good ones (close to ACE), 1 meh one, and one bad(read:unlucky) one all in the toughest division in baseball. He's not in the elite class of Ace's with Verlander/Kershaw/King Felix/Sabathia etc but one could make the argument that he is basically just as much of an "ace" as a guy like Grienke.
    Agree 100%.....personally dont call him an ace but he's everything you'ld want from one & I dont argue with people who do call him an ace.
    HUGE fan of his

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 191 Times in 117 Posts
    Horrible trade for KC. Can't imagine they couldn't have gotten better pitchers for Myers. Seattle or Arizona had pitching and needed a bat. Lose their best hitting and pitching prospect and more? Wow. Horrible deal.

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Someone should pass a note to Terry Ryan... The note should say... "Don't trade with the Rays ever".

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    me thinks the twins are between a rock and a wet spot ...
    so drop the bomb and totally rebuild,adios joe justin and ham

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Wow... Thats quite the trade... The Royals just gave up 3 top 30 prospects. There used to be a time... When one top 30 prospect would fetch something Like Shields and Davis.

Someone should pass a note to Terry Ryan... The note should say... "Don't trade with the Rays ever".

Still the trade could do great things for KC... Their rotation is better... Those young hitters should keep getting better... The Tigers better not be too cocky.
    Montgomery is no longer a top prospect.
    Orodozzi is no bigger a prospect than what Wade Davis was when he debuted.
    That's the problem with dealing or recieving prospects....dont know how players will turn out. Look at the Johan trade.....Each of the 4 players recieved coulda been percieved as a top prospect.
    Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 337 Times in 214 Posts
    I might like it better if my GM hadn't already over-valued Ervin Santana and Jeremy Guthrie. If those guys are your number two and three arms, your rotation isn't very impressive.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    9 times out of 10 I'd take the established player over the prospect. I have no problem with this deal from KC's point. Eventually you have to make a move to try and put you over the top. Kudos to the Royals for finally going for it.

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post

Montgomery is no longer a top prospect.
    Orodozzi is no bigger a prospect than what Wade Davis was when he debuted.
    That's the problem with dealing or recieving prospects....dont know how players will turn out. Look at the Johan trade.....Each of the 4 players recieved coulda been percieved as a top prospect.
    Sometimes its better to take the 'sure' thing
    Don't know if I agree with you about the Johan Trade... but believe me... I agree about prospects not always panning out... But I also disagree about Shields and Davis being sure things as well. So in the end... A trade is a trade...

The thing that leaps to mind is... the Rays have done it again... They pgrabbed a haul from the Cubs for Garza and now the Royals.

I agree... Montgomery has fallen off... He would be our Benson... Still has value in my opinion.

I can see this working out for the Royals... But I can see this really working out for the Rays. Maybe it's a deal that ends up being good for both clubs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast