Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 154

Thread: Chance Twins open season with 75/80m payroll??

  1. #81
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    3,232
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And I agree with you. I just don't think Greinke would have been a good idea. The Twins should be targeting mid-tier guys, not bidding against the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs of the world.
    So it's important for us to know our place? What excuse did ownership use to trick, er, convince the taxpayers that the new park was needed?

  2. #82
    Senior Member Triple-A Jerr's Avatar
    Posts
    272
    Like
    2
    Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    All I know is that my stance is that if they insist they are going to compete next year..and they don't spend the money on a decent pitcher, I'm not spending a dime to go see them play until I actually see they are competitive. If they'd spend the money to make it look.like an effort for 2013 is in place, I'd probably buy some tickets in advance. If their roster solutions consist of the lower tier variety, I'm not forking over a dime in advance.

    All this talk of people saying how the Pohlads spend their millions of dollars and how it's not our money.. well that is how I will move forward regarding my money and the team.
    Same here and a Twin Fan since 1961!!!!!!

  3. #83
    Senior Member Triple-A Jerr's Avatar
    Posts
    272
    Like
    2
    Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
    Once the Twins went to Target Field...I was priced out of "opening night"...after 8 years of being there with my son (the next generation of their fans)....my money, as is the Twins..... is mine.... they dont spend theirs...... I dont spend mine, ON them.......

  4. #84
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1

    ridiculous

    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    I am not saying the Greinke deal was a good one. I don't think Sanchez at 15 million a season is a great deal either for a guy with a mid 3 era that pitched half his games in a pitchers park in the NL, but given how free agency is going it will take all of 15 million a season for Sanchez. I am just tired of having the retread free agents be the only one's that we can afford. I don't have the link but ESPN had a story a few days ago where the average salary was something like 3 to 5 million. I don't remember the exact figure. If we aren't willing to spend over what the average salary is, we definitely aren't going to improve via free agency.
    And I agree with you. I just don't think Greinke would have been a good idea. The Twins should be targeting mid-tier guys, not bidding against the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs of the world.
    If you bid against the big boys then you have something they want to and you can compete and trade with them too.

  5. #85
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    After the disaster of 2011 the twins earned 26 million,they cut payroll 18 million and in 2012 earn over 32 million(im seeing a pattern here)
    I guess we need to see the big picture,if Ryan reduces payroll to around 78 million this year ,then maybe ownership will earn 40 million for the year.Also we would qualify to recieve profit sharing, and a lottery pick.So thats a double win for the team , just not in the won/loss colume
    Last edited by johnnydakota; 12-10-2012 at 06:08 PM.

  6. #86
    I know that this team needs pitching, but I just don't see the point of paying 5-8 million for a back of the rotation guy, when we can just let Hendricks, Deduno, Walters, Devries, etc do the same thing. Signing Liriano or trading for Capuano does absolutely nothing for me. I'd rather spend that money taking a chance on someone like Stephen Drew. Why waist 15 million on the next 2 Jason Marquis. I applaud TR for waiting this thing out.

  7. #87
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,718
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Most of us agree...but think instead they should sign one of these expensive guys who should be good for 3 to 5 years.

  8. #88
    Senior Member Double-A zenser's Avatar
    Posts
    197
    Like
    20
    Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
    I was just hoping that we would be competitive in the free agent market like we were told when Target Field was built and not in the market for Jason Marquis or Kevin Corriea.

  9. #89
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ThePuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And I agree with you. I just don't think Greinke would have been a good idea. The Twins should be targeting mid-tier guys, not bidding against the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs of the world.
    So it's important for us to know our place? What excuse did ownership use to trick, er, convince the taxpayers that the new park was needed?
    The state of Minnesota could be handing the Twins $100m a year and they still couldn't compete with the revenue flow of the Dodgers and Yankees. That's not trickery, that's plain ol' reality. Target Field certainly helps but it's not going to turn the Twins into a financial powerhouse. Minnesota is still a mid-sized population with mid-sized revenue streams through television and radio.

  10. #90
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zenser View Post
    I am not saying the Greinke deal was a good one. I don't think Sanchez at 15 million a season is a great deal either for a guy with a mid 3 era that pitched half his games in a pitchers park in the NL, but given how free agency is going it will take all of 15 million a season for Sanchez. I am just tired of having the retread free agents be the only one's that we can afford. I don't have the link but ESPN had a story a few days ago where the average salary was something like 3 to 5 million. I don't remember the exact figure. If we aren't willing to spend over what the average salary is, we definitely aren't going to improve via free agency.
    And I agree with you. I just don't think Greinke would have been a good idea. The Twins should be targeting mid-tier guys, not bidding against the Yankees, Dodgers, and Cubs of the world.
    If you bid against the big boys then you have something they want to and you can compete and trade with them too.
    That... Doesn't make sense.

  11. #91
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,608
    Like
    3,682
    Liked 3,170 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

    The state of Minnesota could be handing the Twins $100m a year and they still couldn't compete with the revenue flow of the Dodgers and Yankees.
    Well if they were ​given $100m a year, they could only put $50m of that toward payroll, right?

  12. #92
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Most of us agree...but think instead they should sign one of these expensive guys who should be good for 3 to 5 years.
    with 30 million to spend we could get both Sanchez and Jackson,and still have money for a cheap outfielder

  13. #93
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,670
    Like
    11
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    [QUOTE=Brock Beauchamp;69829][QUOTE=ThePuck;69780]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    QUOTE]

    The state of Minnesota could be handing the Twins $100m a year and they still couldn't compete with the revenue flow of the Dodgers and Yankees. That's not trickery, that's plain ol' reality. Target Field certainly helps but it's not going to turn the Twins into a financial powerhouse. Minnesota is still a mid-sized population with mid-sized revenue streams through television and radio.
    Cable and dish usage in the Twin Cities is one of the lowest in the nation. Their TV revenue almost makes them aa small market team

  14. #94
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,245
    Like
    107
    Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
    Grienke was always signing with the Dodgers--they were just hammering out the last details. That $280MM/year revenue stream pretty much ensures they get anybody they want--for awhile.

  15. #95
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post

    The state of Minnesota could be handing the Twins $100m a year and they still couldn't compete with the revenue flow of the Dodgers and Yankees.
    Well if they were ​given $100m a year, they could only put $50m of that toward payroll, right?
    I really hate payroll arguments. The only point I care to make is that the Twins are not one of the premiere revenue franchises. That's just how it is. Complaining that they're not competing with New York, Boston, Dallas, Los Angeles, etc. is just whining. The Dodgers just handed Greinke an absurd contract. They can do that because they can afford to eat $25m a year in a $200m payroll. The Twins simply can't take that risk.

  16. #96
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said Monday that the club could explore a contract extension with left-hander Clayton Kershaw in the coming weeks.

    Colletti was asked the question at the press conference for left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu. Kershaw is owed $11 million next season and remains under team control through 2014, so there's not a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right away, but Zack Greinke's six-year, $147 million contract would likely function as the benchmark for any talks. He could top $200 million when it's all said and done.

    Source: Dylan Hernandez on Twitter

  17. #97
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Twins simply can't take a risk, but the taxpayers can.

  18. #98
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Why is Greinke, Sanchez or Jackson a risk?

  19. #99
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    If the Twins can't afford to keep payroll near 100M there is only going to be bad times for the Twins.

  20. #100
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,126
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Why is Greinke, Sanchez or Jackson a risk?
    Greinke signed for $25m for six years. How is that not a risk? The Twins can't afford to have two non-productive players eating up $50m of roster space from 2015-2018, which is where they may be if they signed Greinke.

    However, there's no excuse not to sign a guy like Jackson for 3-4 years and $45-60m. The deal is short enough to not completely hamstring the team if something goes wrong.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.