Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chance Twins open season with 75/80m payroll??

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Greinke just signed. A couple of mid-level pitchers have signed. Still lots out there and time. Why not at least wait a month to whine about what the Twins didn't do, rather than now about what they might not (or even probably won't) do.
    Well assuming they won't compete with the big pockets over Sanchez, and if we are to believe LE3, that the Twins won't pursue Marcum or Jackson, there's no other pitchers any reasonable fan should give two wet farts about.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-09-2012 at 09:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    It's kind of humorous how people are surprised that rebuilding teams trade veterans and are hesitant to sign aging and declining veterans to long contracts.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The price just went up on FA pitchers. Now the big market teams will make there bids. It's over for the Twins the fat lady is singing.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,507 Times in 788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Not if they spent it.....but I would consider it a good trade. But that should create a context to spend money. But they'd really look like the Marlins then, wouldn't they?
    No, the Twins wouldn't look like the Marlins because Ryan is actually getting talent in return for the players they're trading.

What Loria is doing in Florida is abominable.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    It's abominable because they will open the season with a 15M payroll once they trade Nolasco. I would disagree that they didn't get talent in return though. Marisnick and Nicolino aren't far behind May and Meyer imo. And they also rid themselves of Buehrle's contract.

I've made an argument before that in addition to a luxury tax, baseball also needs a salary floor. If you don't spend X then your revenue sharing is reduced and/or eliminated. There is absolutely no excuse that Loria should get any of the revenue sharing for fielding an absolutely awful baseball team.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,507 Times in 788 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    It's abominable because they will open the season with a 15M payroll once they trade Nolasco. I would disagree that they didn't get talent in return though. Marisnick and Nicolino aren't far behind May and Meyer imo. And they also rid themselves of Buehrle's contract.

I've made an argument before that in addition to a luxury tax, baseball also needs a salary floor. If you don't spend X then your revenue sharing is reduced and/or eliminated. There is absolutely no excuse that Loria should get any of the revenue sharing for fielding an absolutely awful baseball team.
    They got talent back but they traded half a roster of former All-Stars to do it.

Take your time, piecemeal out those players, pay some of the salaries you've offloaded, and the Marlins could have doubled their return. But no, Loria turned greedy and proved just how awful an owner he really can be. I'd like to see the city of Miami find a way to drag his ass into court over this crap.

And Selig should be railroading his ass straight out of baseball.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

I agree with everything you said, the problem is that I was saying the same thing about Oakland last off season. When they traded Gio and Baily, I thought that they were only going to field a AAA team. Then they went out and signed a Cuban guy late in the off season and he supplied just enough offense to win a division. Not just any division, but the division included the teams that spent the most last off season.

I'm a season ticket holder. I vented my frustration with the pitching last year and the lack of money spent on what everyone knew was a problem heading into the season. I've already paid for 2013, so I just have to have some faith that TR is going to make a competitive run this year. If he doesn't bring anyone in from the outside to start, he should be relieved of his duties. As far as who he brings in let the performance on the field be the judge. I sure didn't give Oakland or Baltimore a chance last year. Maybe TR can pull a few rabbits out of his hat like Billy Beane did last year.
    Last edited by minn55441; 12-09-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's kind of humorous how people are surprised that rebuilding teams trade veterans and are hesitant to sign aging and declining veterans to long contracts.
    It's incredible, isn't it?

The Twins will not carryover profit. They are still paying off their portion of the stadium, I believe. 50% of $150 million and then 50% of $200+ million.....hummmmmm did they give everyone in the front office, scouting staff and such a raise? I think not. Because they are :losers" they egt higher draft picks and have to pay more. But if you win, you all sell more tickets, concessions et al. More people watch television and such.

They can spend. Not just on a pitcher but now an outfielder or a shortstop or someone. They have another $25+ million off the payroll next year, + $25 million more in TV revenue.

22,000 season ticket holders. Another 5,000 game sales. Okay, 10,000 empty seats in 2013.

Might as well trade Mauer, too.

Be the team with the fastest decrease in attendance with a new stadium ever.

You don't always win by spending carelessly, but the Twins supposedly have some money to spend and can spend it and not effect their bottom line, so why not do it. Get someone, something. Even futrue trade chips.

Hell, if they are doing nothing more, then they could've spent $24 million on Grienke for six years and let him led the staff when they really become competitive in 2015-2018.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 169 Times in 79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The Twins will not carryover profit. They are still paying off their portion of the stadium, I believe. 50% of $150 million and then 50% of $200+ million.....hummmmmm did they give everyone in the front office, scouting staff and such a raise? I think not. Because they are :losers" they egt higher draft picks and have to pay more. But if you win, you all sell more tickets, concessions et al. More people watch television and such.

They can spend. Not just on a pitcher but now an outfielder or a shortstop or someone. They have another $25+ million off the payroll next year, + $25 million more in TV revenue.

22,000 season ticket holders. Another 5,000 game sales. Okay, 10,000 empty seats in 2013.

You don't always win by spending carelessly, but the Twins supposedly have some money to spend and can spend it and not effect their bottom line, so why not do it. Get someone, something. Even futrue trade chips.

Hell, if they are doing nothing more, then they could've spent $24 million on Grienke for six years and let him led the staff when they really become competitive in 2015-2018.
    Mr. Rosterman, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points. And may God have mercy on your soul.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    And Selig should be railroading his ass straight out of baseball.
    It's Loria that has been railroading Selig's ass for two decades, why stop now?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 533 Times in 353 Posts
    Its amazing that people keep putting up straw man arguments that no one is making. Most people suggesting they spend money have suggested signing guys that should still be good in 2 or 3 or more years. Also, the GM said they would spend money to he competitive. Also, they are 3 years into a new stadium. Also, they are 25 million below last year. Also, 25 million more is coming in revenue next year. Is it unreasonable to want them to sign one legit pitcher to a long term deal, given all that?

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 533 Times in 353 Posts
    I'll tell you what I wouldn't do...trade Sano and Gibson for Shields and Davis and PTBNL....what is KC doing? Awful trade for KC, great trade for MN and TB.
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    If they were to use some of the "extra" money to sign another Sano or Kepler or two, I would be OK with that.
    huh? the twins and every other team are allowed to spend a set amount in the draft including a set amout for international signings,and they didnt spend there allotment in either case last year

Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'll tell you what I wouldn't do...trade Sano and Gibson for Shields and Davis and PTBNL....what is KC doing? Awful trade for KC, great trade for MN and TB.
    Yeah, Id hate it also if my team dealt for a top of the rotation horse

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 338 Times in 215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    It's incredible, isn't it?
    I have no illusion of competing next year, and I've been on the rebuild bandwagon since before last season, so unless the Twins change their minds and go after Marcum or Jackson on a multi year deal, I couldn't care less if they sign the other junkballers as rental players.

However, to rip on those that DO want to see some free agent action is a load of crap seeing as the GM flat out lied to the fans, specifically those that follow this site. Ryan said he was going after a "pretty darn good" pitcher, John's quote not mine.
    http://twinsdaily.com/twins-talk/380...d-pitcher.html

Now unless we find out Ryan is making a play for Sanchez, we know that was not true, as reports from LE3 have refuted that the Twins have made any offers to any of the other top arms.

Ryan was just on the baseball network the other day and said you can make offers but "sometimes you can't give money away." Sneaky, sneaky. The implication was that the Twins were TRYING to sign guys but they wouldn't take the offers, what it likely meant was, "We ain't giving our money to those bums."

There is no obligation for Ryan to be straight with us, but by deceiving the fans with the hope that the rotation will be improved via free agency, he forfeits his right to be defended by Twins homers.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 12-09-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 608 Times in 339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Where is that Picard image when you need it?

Banned All-Star
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Michael Young was traded to Philadelphia. MLBTR thinks Texas may be looking for a 1B/DH type and that Olt may be available. Think Morneau would bring him?
    they want a right handed bat to platoon with moreland

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Where is that Picard image when you need it?
    sorry but there is no guarrantee that myers can/will be any better than Mostakas/Hosmer have been the past 2 yrs or what Gordon/Butler etc did their first couple yrs......Shields is an absolute top of rotation innings eater (didnt say ace tho). They dealt from percieved strength (young hotshot hitter prospect types) to get what they dont have.
    I love what KC has done this offseason to get their pitching in order.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast