Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: 4 Realistic FA Pitching Options

  1. #21
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Saunders and Lannan are the only ones with a chance to be better than the Deduno line, and both can be had for 2-year contracts which fits the 2015 timetable for the youngsters. I'd go after them both.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I would love to hear why others disagree.
    Because they are $25MM below last year's spend, have Blackburn coming off next year, and are getting $25MM more in tv revenue next year. Maybe Morneau is coming off next year. I disagree because they have money to spend this year on good pitching. They have even more next year. There is no good reason not to sign pitchers that you expect to be good this year, next year, and the year after.
    Lighten up Francis....

  2. #22
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    719
    Like
    26
    Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Both Diamond and Worley can be 12-15 game winners if they continue to pitch close to 180-200 innings and pitch like they have in the last year minus the injuries and if The Twins can get 2 more pitchers who can do the same then we will have the ability to compete for the playoffs. I don't think we will be heavy favorites but we won't be doormats like the last 2 years either.

    If we can find a way to trade for another top 150 prospect or 2 or 3 that would be great for our future, SS Dee Gordon of LA.....

  3. #23
    Senior Member Triple-A Gernzy's Avatar
    Posts
    426
    Twitter
    @Andy_Twitchell
    Like
    1
    Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    I orignally wanted Marcum and McCarthy. I thought we'd have a good chance at both and they would be in our price range.
    Now that McCarthy is gone I'd like to see Marcum and Lannan.
    We'll see what happens. I have a feeling this week will say alot.
    I bent my wookie...

  4. #24
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    When will the twins quit wadding in the kiddy pool and actualy dive into the deep end?
    Why not sign an asset,instead of a reject?

  5. #25
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    I do not think the Twins will sign any pitcher with durability issues after paying for Pavano and Baker last year. That they paid Pavano shows at least a willingness to part with money for a pitcher they believe will be decent for them.

  6. #26
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    robbie is that you?

  7. #27
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,958
    Like
    4
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    65
    I don't think Marcum is going to cost much more than Pavano's contract plus "inflation" (inflation works a bit differently within the baseball world).

    John Lannan is not good. Career 1.39 K/BB rate and it is getting worse. And that's not due to be a wild fireballer. His k rate is 4.7 for his career. He's Nick Blackburn (pre 2012) with bad control. He's given up more hits than innings pitched. Etc. etc. There is no reason to sign this guy for even a minimum deal, much less multiple millions of dollars. Throw Hendriks out there instead.

    Correia is almost as bad. Myers is declining and may not be able to start. Hopefully the domestic violence has stopped. Saunders COULD perform well. I just wouldn't trust it though.

  8. #28
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mike is right on, but they won't do it, they will wait until all the fans are gone first.

  9. #29
    Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Posts
    3,958
    Like
    4
    Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts
    Blog Entries
    65
    Sorry but:

    Diamond
    Marcum
    Worley
    Hendriks
    Deduno/DeVries/Gibson eventually

    is a better rotation than adding in two of these guys anywhere.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,253
    Like
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    1
    but you don't have Marcum, you got Black burn instead.

  11. #31
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,540
    Like
    2,556
    Liked 3,176 Times in 1,688 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glunn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Saunders and Lannan are the only ones with a chance to be better than the Deduno line, and both can be had for 2-year contracts which fits the 2015 timetable for the youngsters. I'd go after them both.
    That makes a lot of sense to me. I would love to hear why others disagree.
    Because they are $25MM below last year's spend, have Blackburn coming off next year, and are getting $25MM more in tv revenue next year. Maybe Morneau is coming off next year. I disagree because they have money to spend this year on good pitching. They have even more next year. There is no good reason not to sign pitchers that you expect to be good this year, next year, and the year after.
    I was posting in reply to the question in the thread. Not to the exclusion of also going after someone better. Also, going after someone doesn't presume success since other teams will be bidding too and the player will have some opinion about where he'd like to go. My point was there is simply no purpose in signing someone who doesn't have even the potential to be better than the multiple AAAA options the Twins currently have for starting pitching.

  12. #32
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,586
    Like
    1,105
    Liked 526 Times in 346 Posts
    Wow, then I totally read your post wrong! My bad. I agree, they should not sign guys likely to be about the same or a tiny bit better than their current options.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.