Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Dodgers trade partner?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts

LA Dodgers trade partner?

With the Dodgers about to sign Zack Greinke to a 6 YR deal and possibly beating the deadline to sign Ryu Hyun-Jinthe Dodgers would have 8 starting pitchers on their roster. Chris Capuano, Aaron Harang and Ted Lilly would be available in a trade.

Ted Lilly 2013 $12M
    Aaron Harang 2013 $7M, with 2014 mutual option between $7M and $8M ($2M buyout)
    Chris Capuano 2013 $6M, 2014 $8M mutual option ($1M buyout)

I would prefer Capuano to the other 2 pitchers. If the Twins could add Anibal Sanchez to a long term contract they could have a very good rotation once again. Just think of the following rotation and tell me that they would not be on the road to being contenders.
    1. Anibal Sanchez
    2. Scott Diamond
    3. Chris Capuano
    4. Vance Worley
    5. Liam Hendricks, Kyle Gibson or another FA Brett Myers?

Overpay for Sanchez and get Capuano and you could be near the top of the AL Central. I know Diamond is not a #2 but with budget limitations you have to make due with what you have.
    Last edited by darin617; 12-08-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot something

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reports that the Dodgers and free agent right-hander Zack Greinke have reached agreement on a six-year, $147 million contract.

It's only pending a physical. The $24.5 million average annual value of Greinke's new deal is the richest any pitcher has ever received. The Dodgers' 2013 payroll now sits over $225 million, making it the highest in MLB history. Greinke will slot in as the No. 2 starter in Los Angeles, behind staff ace Clayton Kerhsaw.
    Related: Dodgers

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Senior Member Big-Leaguer minn55441's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Ok, you have me interested but what do you propose we ship back to the Dodgers in the trade for Capuano? Think they want Carroll back? I don't think they have a need for Morneau any more at first base. Minor leaguers?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Screw the Doyers!

They are spending a lot of money and I don't know if they are going to be that much better. When you start with Kemp and Kershaw, it really shouldn't take much to move into an elite team, but I'm not sure the money they are spending is well placed.

Liked 697 Times in 366 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minn55441 View Post
    They are spending a lot of money and I don't know if they are going to be that much better. When you start with Kemp and Kershaw, it really shouldn't take much to move into an elite team, but I'm not sure the money they are spending is well placed.
    It will be interesting to see how well they do next year. Will money be able to buy a championship?

The Yankees spent a lot of money over a long time with a very checkered success rate. It appears that the Dodgers are on the same track. The money can hide a lot of the mistakes.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 86 Times in 53 Posts
    Since the Dodgers are spending like drunken sailors, maybe they could use Morneau to DH those 10 interleague games they play on the road. Seems a value for $14M.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,181 Times in 628 Posts
    At this rate the Tigers are going to have to give Verlander 5/250 when he's due. Good grief!

If this is where the rate is set for the front line market, hello John Lannan.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the Dodgers were really high on Willingham and low on Crawford, might they be interested in a trade. I don't see any other player on the Twins roster that presents an upgrade for the Dodgers.

For it to be worth the Twins while, they would have to get at least two of those pitchers in return, I think.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 746 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd be fine with it if they didn't have to give up anything to get him (like they guy got for Danny Valencia for instance)... But trading real prospects to get starting pitching now doesn't make a ton of sense.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    How about Doumit for Capuano. They could use him as a utility player. You know Crawford is going to miss some time

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ever heard of the Yankees?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
    Probably wouldn't take all that much for Harang or Capuano. I expect the Dodgers would be pleased just to shed the salary. Along those lines, maybe a bullpen arm like Duensing or Slama might be enough.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    I would be fine with picking up any of the 3 as salary relief for the Dodgers. they fix the back of the rotation but the Twins also need to pick up a better starter and those could disappear fast.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 95 Times in 69 Posts
    A) Forget about Sanchez--not coming to MN. If LA wants to trade--they will be making the calls for what they want. The TX boards were "certain" they were going to sign Grienke and Hamilton! Hamilton was "considering his options". Actually think of a $170MM payroll? I wasn't aware they generated even close to that amount even with 3.5MM tickets sold. Since we haven't read of any free agent pitching signing with the Twins--I'm guessing that every offer was "pocket-vetoed". But wait! Hamilton was rumored to be thinking both Seattle and Texas--one of these teams just might get interested in Morneau--and both have excess pitchers. IDK if Willingham could function at 1B, but I'm guessing at least as well as a LF if Morneau gets traded--then the OF gets young and fast!

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok, you have me interested but what do you propose we ship back to the Dodgers in the trade for Capuano? Think they want Carroll back? I don't think they have a need for Morneau any more at first base. Minor leaguers?
    If they want some minor leaguers then a trade is possible. I don't think the Twins should really be interested much in Capuano. He's a below average pitcher who hasn't pitched outside the NL. 92+ERA the past 3 seasons.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 358 Times in 180 Posts
    I can't WAIT for the Dodgers to crash and burn, they already wasted a ton of money last year to only miss the playoffs, now handing out an absurd contract to Greinke? looool. As far as the scrubs they have at the back end? pass, unless they want to give them away for nothing. (I would go after Billingsley in a heart beat though!

Also FWIW: Magic Johnson is a terrible businessman... how do I know? He originally owned the 5 year old building I currently live in, he went bankrupt within 16 months and it was sold for pennies on the dollars to a new ownere and they turned everything into rentals, now the owners make a real nice profit year over year. Also, his line of Magic Johnson Movie Theaters (like 100+ nation wide) went bankrupt as well recently.

trying to be nice......
    but anyone who even suggests that the Twins might sign a longterm free agent pitcher has to be asked "Have you ever followed this team before?"
    Now to the actual question......Ryan will trade, but not for a pitcher with a longterm deal. What do the Twins have to offer back??? Its not Mauer, so stop with that. Their OF is stacked & they have a 1B already. So while MN might want some of LAs pitchers.....we have nothing but prospect to offer back & I wouldnt for that collection. Now Zach Lee....Id listen

Senior Member Big-Leaguer FrodaddyG's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Yankees spent a lot of money over a long time with a very checkered success rate. It appears that the Dodgers are on the same track. The money can hide a lot of the mistakes.
    If 5 championships and 7 WS appearances in a span of less than 15 years is "checkered" I'll take it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast